Seriously No Politics ×

Should Fawn Brodie's Excommunication be Over Turned?

It's been about 14 years since I read Fawn Brodie's biography on Joseph Smith "No Man Knows My History".  As a young man her name was synonymous with the most vile, evil and loathsome people to have ever walked the earth.  Her book was cast by those who were even brave enough to mentioned to mention it portrayed it as anti-Mormon trash fit only for the rubbish bin or better yet the fire.  The LDS church even commissioned Hugh Nibley to write a counter apologetic attack on her work called "No Ma'am that Not History".  Ironically its Nibley's work that has been fallen into disfavor while much of Brodie's work has been vindicated.  Mormon historians even quote from and refer to her work.

From Wikipedia:

In 2005, LDS scholar Richard Bushman published a highly regarded biography of Smith entitled Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling which has frequently been compared to Brodie's work. In his book, Bushman noted that Brodie's "biography was acknowledged by non-Mormon scholars as the premier study of Joseph Smith"[10] and called Brodie "the most eminent of Joseph Smith's unbelieving biographers."[11] Bushman wrote in 2007 that Brodie had "shaped the view of the Prophet for half a century. Nothing we have written has challenged her domination. I had hoped my book would displace hers, but at best it will only be a contender in the ring, whereas before she reigned unchallenged."[12]

and

In 1971, Marvin S. Hill, a LDS historian at Brigham Young University, wrote:

For more than a quarter century Fawn Brodie's No Man Knows My History has been recognized by most professional American historians as the standard work on the life of Joseph Smith and perhaps the most important single work on early Mormonism. At the same time the work has had tremendous influence upon informed Mormon thinking, as shown by the fact that whole issues of B.Y.U. Studies and Dialogue have been devoted to considering questions on the life of the Mormon prophet raised by Brodie. There is evidence that her book has had strong negative impact on popular Mormon thought as well, since to this day in certain circles in Utah to acknowledge that one has "read Fawn Brodie" is to create doubts as to one's loyalty to the Church.[9]

One of her most controversial claims of Joseph's translation process of using a rock he discovered while digging a well being placed in his hat has even been accepted by the LDS church as factual and is in the process of being moved from its once lofty status as an anti Mormon lie to a mainstream faithful truth.

Since baptism is an essential LDS ordinance for admittance to the LDS Heaven and since Brodie has for the most part been vindicated...perhaps its time to let by gones be by gones and have her excommunication made null and void by reinstating her.  After all the church does have a history of forgiving those who have committed far worse transgressions such as John D. Lee who was posthumously rebaptized and allowed into the Mormon Heaven. Does someone whose work, with the passage of time, has become mainstream deserve to languish in hell?

So what do yeah say...will all in favor so signify...

5 minutes ago, Johnnie Cake said:

It's been about 14 years since I read Fawn Brodie's biography on Joseph Smith "No Man Knows My History".  As a young man her name was synonymous with the most vile, evil and loathsome people to have ever walked the earth.  Her book was cast by those who were even brave enough to mentioned to mention it portrayed it as anti-Mormon trash fit only for the rubbish bin or better yet the fire.  The LDS church even commissioned Hugh Nibley to write a counter apologetic attack on her work called "No Ma'am that Not History".  Ironically its Nibley's work that has been fallen into disfavor while much of Brodie's work has been vindicated.  Mormon historians even quote from and refer to her work.

From Wikipedia:

and

One of her most controversial claims of Joseph's translation process of using a rock he discovered while digging a well being placed in his hat has even been accepted by the LDS church as factual and is in the process of being moved from its once lofty status as an anti Mormon lie to a mainstream faithful truth.

Since baptism is an essential LDS ordinance for admittance to the LDS Heaven and since Brodie has for the most part been vindicated...perhaps its time to let by gones be by gones and have her excommunication made null and void by reinstating her.  After all the church does have a history of forgiving those who have committed far worse transgressions such as John D. Lee who was posthumously rebaptized and allowed into the Mormon Heaven. Does someone whose work, with the passage of time, has become mainstream deserve to languish in hell?

Had never thought of the possibility of her excommunication being overturned. And now that I have, I'm in agreement, if that is the reason she was. I wasn't able to finish her book, maybe I should try again. 

15 minutes ago, Johnnie Cake said:

From Wikipedia:

and

Nibley's work has fallen into disfavor with whom? Critics, apostates and anti-Mormons? That was forgone, wasn't it? In fact wasn't it already in disfavor with them?

Edited by Scott Lloyd
8 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

I get your point but I doubt Brody cares.

I'd prefer God work out her salvation instead of church leaders attempting to do so.

If the church wants to issue a public apology for mischaracterizing much of her work as anti-Mormon lies, when in fact the historical details are now vindicated, I'm cool with that. But I'm not holding my breath :) 

I'd be interested in what people think are "historical details that are now vindicated" in her book. How many can actually be listed?

I don't count rock-in-a-hat, because B.H. Roberts wrote about that in the early 1900s. This was available to anyone who read easily- accessible Church history material going back a long way, so it doesn't qualify for the complaint of "the leaders blame the members for ignorance, but the sources were really obscure." 

4 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Nibley's work has fallen into disfavor with whom? Critics, apostates and anti-Mormons? That was forgone, wasn't it? In fact wasn't it already in disfavor with them.

One of the last leaks had a letter about Nibley from the leaders.  Maybe that's what he's referring to?  

Yeah, no.  Fawn Brodie chose to pick and choose what sources she would use.  If a source, a fact, did not fit her objective she left it out.  It is the very epitome of extremely poor scholarship.  She was excommunicated for being an apostate.  Though she is recognized as doing good research it is her desire to exclude conflicting facts that makes her unpalatable. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fawn_M._Brodie

I don't see anywhere that she was going around bad mouthing the church. Are there any references about this? Aiming this at Scott and Rongo.

Found this too: http://www.salamandersociety.com/interviews/fawnbrodie/ She was excommunicated 6 months after the book was published.

ETA: From reading the second link, I read the enlarged letter from the church. It mentions that she denied the BoM being historically true or a devine origin that came from God and JS restored it. Is that grounds for being ex'd? I guess it was back then.

Edited by Tacenda
5 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fawn_M._Brodie

I don't see anywhere that she was going around bad mouthing the church. Are there any references about this? Aiming this at Scott and Rongo.

Found this too: http://www.salamandersociety.com/interviews/fawnbrodie/ She was excommunicated 6 months after the book was published.

The only comment I've made on this thread thus far pertains to the unsubstantiated assertion that Nibley's review of Brodie's book has "fallen into disfavor."

21 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Nibley's work has fallen into disfavor with whom? Critics, apostates and anti-Mormons? That was forgone, wasn't it? In fact wasn't it already in disfavor with them?

15 minutes ago, JulieM said:

One of the last leaks had a letter about Nibley from the leaders.  Maybe that's what he's referring to?  

My guess is that what he's referring to could be summed up in this item description from the website of the Hugh Nibley Collection of the Harold B. Lee Library at BYU.

Cultural Mormons who celebrated a new enlightenment with the appearance of Brodie’s treatment of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon were deeply offended by what they considered Nibley’s flippant response. Hostility to Nibley has also been a rather common feature of the secular, revisionist element in the so-called New Mormon History, which has seen in Brodie’s account of Joseph Smith the beginning or basic outlines of an acceptable naturalistic account of Mormon things.

Again, I say, if you're going to assert that the review "has fallen into disfavor," you need to better define that. Fallen into disfavor with whom? Those already disposed to doubt or deny Joseph Smith's character as a prophet of God? No surprise there.

20 minutes ago, Storm Rider said:

Yeah, no.  Fawn Brodie chose to pick and choose what sources she would use.  If a source, a fact, did not fit her objective she left it out.  It is the very epitome of extremely poor scholarship.  

I think she did a good job considering that new sources have come to light after she wrote the book (both supporting her and showing her errors).

Even Bushman speaks well of her book:

In 2005, LDS scholar Richard Bushman published a highly regarded biography of Smith entitled Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling which has frequently been compared to Brodie's work. In his book, Bushman noted that Brodie's "biography was acknowledged by non-Mormon scholars as the premier study of Joseph Smith" and called Brodie "the most eminent of Joseph Smith's unbelieving biographers."  Bushman wrote in 2007 that Brodie had "shaped the view of the Prophet for half a century. Nothing we have written has challenged her domination. I had hoped my book would displace hers, but at best it will only be a contender in the ring, whereas before she reigned unchallenged."

Edited by JulieM
26 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

CFR- Are there references that indicate that her excommunication was due to apostasy "outside of her book"?

Here's the best I could find with a quick search:

In May 1946, Fawn Brodie was living in New Haven and only a few weeks away from giving birth to her second child when she received a summons from the New England Mission of the LDS Church to answer charges of apostasy. (It is surmised that her uncle, David O. McKay, was behind the formal accusations, and that the matter was left to the New England Mission, to cover up the person who was the real driving force.) The summons letter accused her of asserting “truths which deny the divine origin of the Book of Mormon, the restoration of the Priesthood and of Christ’s Church through the instrumentality of the Prophet Joseph Smith, contrary to the beliefs, doctrines, and teachings of the Church.” Brodie did not answer the letter and did not appear before the tribunal. Less than a month later, a bishop’s court officially and summarily excommunicated her from the Mormon Church as a heretic.

http://www.washingtonindependentreviewofbooks.com/features/the-mormon-excommunication-of-fawn-brodie-why-banishing-the-famous-biograph

Fun fact: Fawn Brodie's maiden and middle name is McKay. She was David O McKay's niece.

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

It is my belief that it has...however I'm quite busy today and don't have time to do a fact check...so for the time being will partially-withdraw this assertions for a later date...however I will contend that the mere fact that many of Brodie's assertions (treasure seeking and translation method, polygamy that involved angels and flaming swords etc) all considered once to be anti Mormon lies...have become mainstream even with the LDS church, is on its own, a form of vindication even she wouldn't have imagined....a vindication that casts Nibley's work into disfavor?  If not then certainly question.

Edited by Johnnie Cake
40 minutes ago, JulieM said:

I think she did a good job considering that new sources have come to light after she wrote the book (both supporting her and showing her errors).

Even Bushman speaks well of her book:

In 2005, LDS scholar Richard Bushman published a highly regarded biography of Smith entitled Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling which has frequently been compared to Brodie's work. In his book, Bushman noted that Brodie's "biography was acknowledged by non-Mormon scholars as the premier study of Joseph Smith" and called Brodie "the most eminent of Joseph Smith's unbelieving biographers."  Bushman wrote in 2007 that Brodie had "shaped the view of the Prophet for half a century. Nothing we have written has challenged her domination. I had hoped my book would displace hers, but at best it will only be a contender in the ring, whereas before she reigned unchallenged."

It doesn't seem like he is speaking well of her work but acknowledging that her work is the most well known work on JS.  From Kevin Christensen's quote on Bushman, it seems like he agreed with Nibley's assessment of her book.

But i completely admit that i might be reading either or both quotes wrong.  

1 hour ago, Johnnie Cake said:

Well, she was excommunicated for "for apostasy, citing the publication of her views "contrary to the beliefs, doctrines, and teachings of the Church."
Apostle John W. Taylor was excommunicated for the same thing, in his case continued resistance to the second manifesto.

The Church rebaptized Apostle Taylor and restored all his blessings posthumously.  Why not Brodie?

15 minutes ago, bluebell said:

It doesn't seem like he is speaking well of her work but acknowledging that her work is the most well known work on JS.  From Kevin Christensen's quote on Bushman, it seems like he agreed with Nibley's assessment of her book.

But i completely admit that i might be reading either or both quotes wrong.  

I'd imagine that Bushman didn't agree with many of Brodie's conclusions, but I think he speaks well of her in the quote.  

We can disagree, but he could have just remained silent about her rather than saying her work was "the most eminent of Joseph Smith's unbelieving biographers".

Eminent:

(of a person) famous and respected within a particular sphere or profession.
"one of the world's most eminent statisticians"
  • used to emphasize the presence of a positive quality.
Edited by JulieM