Seriously No Politics ×

Blogger on "The Alarming Truth Behind Anti-Mormonism"

That certainly is an interesting article. I agree that for the most part, people who leave the church tend to become agnostic, sometimes atheist (this is just my experience though). Some I know became a generic nondenominational Christian, but that seems really rare. In fact, I would say most people I know who have lost faith take an eclectic view of faith, and keep the things they like (such as the idea of eternal families) and discard more conservative positions the church holds (homosexuality being a big one). Not to be political, but most folks I know who leave the church go leftward in their thinking and values.

1 hour ago, rpn said:

I am wondering what posters here thought of this blog post (aside from the kind of puzzling title as it doesn't seem to easily fit, at least in who exmormons would describe themselves).

http://happiness-seekers.com/2017/01/02/the-alarming-truth-behind-anti-mormonism/

I skimmed the article but never figured out what the "alarming truth" was. He also promised to show how "doubts that sometimes seem so monumental are more illusion than anything else" but I must have missed that too. 

He argues that "it is simply impossible to leave the Restored Gospel for another version of Christianity" because "basically every reason to doubt Mormonism is a good reason to doubt Christianity." I think this overstates things. I think it's possible to conclude that Joseph Smith wasn't a prophet without also concluding that C.S. Lewis, for example, had it all wrong.

The author asserts that "anti-Mormonism isn't just about getting people to lose faith in our Church, it's about getting people to lose faith in God, in Christ, in revelation, in religion." Well, that would be news to this guy: 

"Anti-Mormonism" isn't a monolithic entity (and neither is "Atheism" for that matter).

54 minutes ago, boblloyd91 said:

Not to be political, but most folks I know who leave the church go leftward in their thinking and values.

Is there anything to the right? :P

Edited by Nevo
3 minutes ago, Nevo said:

I skimmed the article but never figured out what the "alarming truth" was. He also promised to show how "doubts that sometimes seem so monumental are more illusion than anything else" but I must have missed this too.

He argues that "it is simply impossible to leave the Restored Gospel for another version of Christianity" because "basically every reason to doubt Mormonism is a good reason to doubt Christianity." I think this overstates things. I think it's possible to conclude that Joseph Smith wasn't a prophet without also concluding that C.S. Lewis, for example, had it all wrong.

The author asserts that "anti-Mormonism isn't just about getting people to lose faith in our Church, it's about getting people to lose faith in God, in Christ, in revelation, in religion." That would be news to this guy: 

"Anti-Mormonism" isn't a monolithic entity (and neither is "Atheism" for that matter).

Anti-Mormons may not be monolothic, but they do tend to feed off of one other, freely sharing and uncritically accepting the same talking points and out-of-context quotations.

As I have said to antiMormons ===>>>

OK, you have me convinced.  Now that I am leaving Smithism, where do i go now?  Tell me what to believe.

Now, be careful.  You will need to prove to me what you have to offer.  I don't want o be fooled a second time, so tell me where I should get the truth and give me proof that it is true.

37 minutes ago, bluebell said:

But the author does have a point in that most people who leave, leave organized religion behind as well.

The author makes this point, but he has nothing to back it up.  So it becomes pretty much a worthless point that may be completely false.

1 hour ago, boblloyd91 said:

That certainly is an interesting article. I agree that for the most part, people who leave the church tend to become agnostic, sometimes atheist (this is just my experience though). Some I know became a generic nondenominational Christian, but that seems really rare. In fact, I would say most people I know who have lost faith take an eclectic view of faith, and keep the things they like (such as the idea of eternal families) and discard more conservative positions the church holds (homosexuality being a big one). Not to be political, but most folks I know who leave the church go leftward in their thinking and values.

If you live in Utah, you'll find plenty of people who have left the Mormon Church and grew into
a deeper relationship with Jesus.  

Jim

4 minutes ago, california boy said:

The author makes this point, but he has nothing to back it up.  So it becomes pretty much a worthless point that may be completely false.

If you look at the Pew study (don't have the link off hand), it shows about one third of those leaving the LDS church become atheist or unaffiliated.

1 hour ago, Nevo said:

I skimmed the article but never figured out what the "alarming truth" was. He also promised to show how "doubts that sometimes seem so monumental are more illusion than anything else" but I must have missed that too. 

The author asserts that "anti-Mormonism isn't just about getting people to lose faith in our Church, it's about getting people to lose faith in God, in Christ, in revelation, in religion." Well, that would be news to this guy: 

By actually carefully reading the article -- as the author says one must do in order to see the alarming truth he's talking about -- I found that alarming truth and agree with the author 100%.

1 minute ago, theplains said:

If you live in Utah, you'll find plenty of people who have left the Mormon Church and grew into

They were transformed social Mormons into devoted Christians.  I can see that.  

I think the church is well aware of that, and have made changes to the youth programs as a result.

14 minutes ago, Bobbieaware said:

By actually carefully reading the article -- as the author says one must do in order to see the alarming truth he's talking about -- I found that alarming truth and agree with the author 100%.

So what is the alarming truth?

25 minutes ago, california boy said:

It is very unfortunate that the author doesn't back up the point with any evidence.  I have a lot of personal evidence of my own though so for me, it's a supported statement (not that loss in belief of mormonism always leads to loss of faith in God, but that it oftentimes does).

19 minutes ago, cdowis said:

If you look at the Pew study (don't have the link off hand), it shows about one third of those leaving the LDS church become atheist or unaffiliated.

It is the same kind of conclusion.  1/3  become atheist OR unaffiliated.  It doesn't say 1/3 become atheist.  They aren't necessarily leaving Christianity. they are leaving organized religion

13 minutes ago, california boy said:

So what is the alarming truth?

When uncertain, when in doubt
Run in circles, scream and shout.

Personal note: this is the only poem that I have ever memorized.  I have been waiting forever to be able to use it.

Hey, that makes a great title, "The Alarming Truth"

Edited by cdowis
1 minute ago, bluebell said:

It is very unfortunate that the author doesn't back up the point with any evidence.  I have a lot of personal evidence of my own though so for me, it's a supported statement (not that loss in belief of mormonism always leads to loss of faith in God, but that it oftentimes does).

The irony of what this blogger does is exactly one of the main reasons people are leaving organized religion.  Religion makes statements that are at best leaps from some scripture, but may have noting to do with the dogma that they create.  For example don't drink blood means no blood transfusions. 

6 minutes ago, Bobbieaware said:

Read the article CAREFULLY and return and report.

I obviously read the article carefully. I responded to every point she made.  Your coy answer to me says you too have nothing to support the bloggers conclusions.  So you deflect.

42 minutes ago, cdowis said:

As I have said to antiMormons ===>>>

OK, you have me convinced.  Now that I am leaving Smithism, where do i go now?  Tell me what to believe.

Now, be careful.  You will need to prove to me what you have to offer.  I don't want o be fooled a second time, so tell me where I should get the truth and give me proof that it is true.

Go to yourself. Trust your inner compass. And if you believe in God, go to straight to Him, (of course I know you believe in God and this is a made up scenario). :) 

After saying this, I believe the church helps those that need structure and that structure enabling them to become closer to God/Jesus. I watched this video with Shawn McRaney, below, with an LDS man. He had at one time become disfellowshipped for some morality issues and he is also a returned missionary. He mentions that his main allegience is to God first, not the church. But he says the church allows him to be able to have that relationship with God. So I believe if any church helps that, great! But if you get it on your own, thats good too, since some members/non members don't have this same experience and feel worse in a religion. I really like how this guy thinks though. And he said he experienced a miracle that he believes was sent from God that got him back to church.

http://hotm.tv/episode-525-bartles-and-james-copy/

12 minutes ago, california boy said:

The irony of what this blogger does is exactly one of the main reasons people are leaving organized religion.  Religion makes statements that are at best leaps from some scripture, but may have noting to do with the dogma that they create.  For example don't drink blood means no blood transfusions. 

Bible only religions have the problems that you have stated.  But religions that are not bound by sola scriptura do not have to be able to validate their doctrine using only scripture.

But a lot of people who have issues with organized religion don't actually understand it all that well.

7 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Bible only religions have the problems that you have stated.  But religions that are not bound by sola scriptura do not have to be able to validate their doctrine using only scripture.

But a lot of people who have issues with organized religion don't actually understand it all that well.

Seriously?  You don't think the Mormon church has dogma that are at best is a leap from some scripture including the BOM and POGP but are not based on any revelation from God? Every religion does it.  If people truly thought that everything the Mormon church teaches is true and comes from God and not infallible men, then I don't think so many in the church would be having a faith crisis.  It is always easier to see the errors in other interpretation of scripture in others.

17 minutes ago, california boy said:

Seriously?  You don't think the Mormon church has dogma that are at best is a leap from some scripture including the BOM and POGP but are not based on any revelation from God? Every religion does it.  If people truly thought that everything the Mormon church teaches is true and comes from God and not infallible men, then I don't think so many in the church would be having a faith crisis.  It is always easier to see the errors in other interpretation of scripture in others.

Perhaps you could provide a reference for the doctrine you're referring to. 

20 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Perhaps you could provide a reference for the doctrine you're referring to. 

I have thought carefully about how to answer your question without derailing yet another thread.  You certainly are informed enough after being on this discussion board long enough to know the major reasons why people are having a faith crisis in the Mormon church.  If you can't find any answers to your question there, I suggest you read the church essays concerning doctrines that were once believed to be couched in scripture and revelation that are now disavowed.

2 hours ago, theplains said:

Jim

I said clearly this is anecdotal experience, and yes I live in Utah.