Seriously No Politics ×

Bare shoulders earn failing grade for BYU-Idaho student’s art project.

Thinking

All I can say is that I earned like $3 more /hour at BYU (Provo) as an art model in nothing more than red Speedos than as a dishwasher in the Cougareat... or was it the other way around? Too much time posing as Michelangelo's "David" on a turntable!

9 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

Bingo! (I Know I hate that expression.) But all the teacher said on her reporting grade was:  the professor indicated that the project did not meet the assignment criteria and added a commentary note.

"I have no idea what to do with these," it said. "They're artistic but ..."

Does anyone know what the criteria for this project actually was? I've skimmed the thread but didn't pick it up. I certainly don't see it as a protest just hubris.

I've seen criteria (at least some of it) she had before the assignment. I'm not sure how I feel about posting the whole thing because I really don't want to be going round over round about it with people etc.

One of the criteria was this though: Should be vertical (portrait) unless there is a valid reason for a horizontal format.

Given that the 3 pictures were all horizontal and I, personally, can't see a valid reason for that, I can see another reason why the pictures may have received a 0. 

ETA - correcting something here below in a new post.

Edited by Rain
3 hours ago, CV75 said:

All I can say is that I earned like $3 more /hour at BYU (Provo) as an art model in nothing more than red Speedos than as a dishwasher in the Cougareat... or was it the other way around? Too much time posing as Michelangelo's "David" on a turntable!

Shoot...back in the day..I was in the wrong business!:P

35 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

Shoot...back in the day..I was in the wrong business!:P

Did you have to wear a hairnet? LOL

25 minutes ago, Rain said:

I just don't see you in nothing but a red speedo Jeanne.

I meant to say I wore it on my head...

Edited by CV75

Criteria from the evaluation sheet:

the photo had to be in focus, appropriate to photo type, captures image in new way, rules of thirds, balanced, correct exposure, enhances rather than distracts, creates visual interest with lines, drapes, etc., 

the criteria in the syllabus had the vertical requirement as well as had to be an animal or human (this is on her twitter page); distance close, but not too close; correct exposure, no red eye, proper chiaroscuro; 

Edited by Calm
10 minutes ago, Calm said:

Criteria from the evaluation sheet:

the photo had to be in focus, , appropriate to photo type, captures image in new way, rules of thirds, balanced, correct exposure, enhances rather than distracts, creates visual inertness with lines, drapes, etc., 

iirc, the criteria in the syllabus had the vertical requirement as well as had to be an animal or human.

I bet "human subjects must be following honor code" makes it into the one for next semester. ;) 

Ok. Now I have seen the pictures again in another spot. One picture was horizontal. One was vertical (it was cropped inthe 1st place I saw it). One could go either way, but it is part covered so I don't know. I apologize for say in my post above that all 3 were horizontal.

I can't decide if the water one is focused or not.  And in my subjective opinion, I see a lot of distraction rather than enhancement.  Eyeballing seems like she is off on the rule of thirds...but not something I have ever been critiqued on so just guessing.

OTOH, instead of marking criteria as not filled, the teacher chose to write across the bottom that criteria wasn't fulfilled...which may mean he is talking about a different criterion which is not listed...or not.  Hard to tell with so little to see.

Edited by Calm
37 minutes ago, Calm said:

I can't decide if the water one is focused or not.  And in my subjective opinion, I see a lot of distraction rather than enhancement.  Eyeballing seems like she is off on the rule of thirds...but not something I have ever been critiqued on so just guessing.

OTOH, instead of marking criteria as not filled, the teacher chose to write across the bottom that criteria wasn't fulfilled...which may mean he is talking about a different criterion which is not listed...or not.  Hard to tell with so little to see.

Yes. Hard to tell. I just haven't seen anything that specifically says it is bare shoulders that was the problem. She says he said it was inappropriate, but that could mean some different things and quote marks weren't around the word so it may just be her interpretation.  There is just so much we don't know and will probably never know in order to make any kind of judgment on the matter.  

What I think of as the main picture is ok with the rule of thirds because of where her eye is placed.  

I don't think we really know the reason for the grading, but if it was due to the bare shoulders, I think the professor should have put that in the description.  Since the professor didn't, the professor should have reached out to the student.  Giving a zero (assuming that was the issue) is as childish as her running to social media about the issue.

27 minutes ago, emeliza said:

I don't think we really know the reason for the grading, but if it was due to the bare shoulders, I think the professor should have put that in the description.  Since the professor didn't, the professor should have reached out to the student.  Giving a zero (assuming that was the issue) is as childish as her running to social media about the issue.

I agree.  I'm glad he allowed her to the option of re-doing it.  

4 hours ago, emeliza said:

An "incomplete" would have accomplished the same thing without as much baggage, I suspect, assuming that is an option...and at this point I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be.

Edited by Calm

Looking at her evaluation sheet, I take my comment back.  She didn't get a "0", he left it blank (which makes sense with the comment "I have no idea what to do w/these...").  He also chose not to use the comment boxes provided for evaluation (which may or may not be significant).

It sounds more like a "incomplete" than a "zero" to me...he was saying she had not fulfilled the assignment, the assignment is currently in limbo so to speak, and he was refraining from giving her a grade or specific evaluation comments until she had a second chance to do so.  If feels more like he was trying not to penalize her than intending to give her a bad grade.  My mind could be easily changed on this with new info.

http://kutv.com/news/local/gallery/byu-idaho-student-gets-no-grade-for-art-project-that-shows-bare-shoulders#photo-3

Edited by Calm