Seriously No Politics ×

A Republican o.k. with Mormon Genocide

bluebell

41 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

I noticed also that Trump avoided anything anti-gay.  I am hoping he is flexible and real.  You see, I don't think he is really a republicans republican...he sees the world as it is and although that gets him in trouble sometimes..maybe...just maybe..he sees the world differently than his co-horts.  After being democrat all my life..I am counting on it. 

It seems entirely possible to me that he still holds many of the same views as the democrats, he just didn't advertise those during his campaign.

Honestly and consistency in his positions weren't hallmarks of Mr. Trump's campaign...

50 minutes ago, Calm said:

I have been trying remember to phrase my comments to be gender neutral, may have slipped a few times because our society gernerally thinks of it as a male assaulting a female, but the same rules apply in my opinion.  And a woman can physically harm a man if the man isn't expecting it or not willing to defend himself assertively as can happen so slapping a woman who is sexually assaulting a man thinking that will end the problem is no more a good idea than the reverse.  Escalation is too likely to happen whoever and whenever violence is resorted to, either as an assault or a defense.

While whites can be victims of racism, I think what is being claimed in many cases is significantly different than the racism minorities experience and in many cases is a loss of easier access and even privilege rather than actual discrimination. 

While I do not deny that such racism exists, I've never experienced it. I know of no one that did not get a job due to their race even though I could probably claim I once did. My experience is that African Americans are worse off despite situations where they get equal opportunity. In my high school growing up, blacks performed lower than whites despite having all the same school and community resources available to them as did whites. In my community, non whites were more likely than whites to join gangs though drug use I'd say was about equal. I do not think minorty inequality is a result of racism but from personal choice starting in the home, especially in our modern times. 

People with disabilities are at a higher risk of being sexually assaulted.  Do you, Darren, suggest they too just take a few self defense classes to learn to fight back?

http://www.wcsap.org/disability-community

"People with disabilities experience domestic or sexual violence at a higher rate than people without disabilities. Here are some of the grim statistics:

• Dr. Brian Armour of the Centers for Disease Control has found that women with a disability are significantly more likely than women without a disability to experience domestic violence in their lifetime, 37.3% vs. 20.6%. Women with a disability are much more likely to have a history of unwanted sex with an intimate partner, 19.7% vs. 8.2% (Armour, 2008).
  • 80% of women and 30% of men with intellectual disabilities have been sexually assaulted. 50% of those women have been assaulted more than ten times (Sobsey & Doe, 1991; Sorenson, 2000).
  • 83% of women with disabilities will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime (Stimpson & Best, 1991). Only 3% of sexual abuse cases involving people with developmental disabilities are ever reported (Valenti-Hein and Schwartz, 1995).
  • 54% of boys who are Deaf have been sexually abused, compared to 10% of boys who are hearing. 50% of girls who are Deaf have been sexually abused, compared to 25% of girls who are hearing (Sullivan, Vernon & Scanlan, 1987)."
Edited by Calm
10 minutes ago, Calm said:

People with disabilities are at a higher risk of being sexually assaulted.  Do you suggest they too just take a few self defense classes to learn to fight back?

http://www.wcsap.org/disability-community

"People with disabilities experience domestic or sexual violence at a higher rate than people without disabilities. Here are some of the grim statistics:

• Dr. Brian Armour of the Centers for Disease Control has found that women with a disability are significantly more likely than women without a disability to experience domestic violence in their lifetime, 37.3% vs. 20.6%. Women with a disability are much more likely to have a history of unwanted sex with an intimate partner, 19.7% vs. 8.2% (Armour, 2008).
  • 80% of women and 30% of men with intellectual disabilities have been sexually assaulted. 50% of those women have been assaulted more than ten times (Sobsey & Doe, 1991; Sorenson, 2000).
  • 83% of women with disabilities will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime (Stimpson & Best, 1991). Only 3% of sexual abuse cases involving people with developmental disabilities are ever reported (Valenti-Hein and Schwartz, 1995).
  • 54% of boys who are Deaf have been sexually abused, compared to 10% of boys who are hearing. 50% of girls who are Deaf have been sexually abused, compared to 25% of girls who are hearing (Sullivan, Vernon & Scanlan, 1987)."

This is downright sad.  :(

1 hour ago, Daniel2 said:

It seems entirely possible to me that he still holds many of the same views as the democrats, he just didn't advertise those during his campaign.

Honestly and consistency in his positions weren't hallmarks of Mr. Trump's campaign...

Do you have a link? This almost gives me hope that he secretly believes this way. Especially on immigration and a few other things.

1 hour ago, Darren10 said:

I do not think minorty inequality is a result of racism but from personal choice starting in the home, especially in our modern times. 

So when a black man gets sentenced to a longer time than a white man for the same crime, it was because the black man made bad choices in his home and the white guy didn't?

3 hours ago, Darren10 said:

There are plenty of cheap classes women can take which only last a couple of days. Plenty of free info available too. 

I a, not saying they are more submissive (consensual, yes) but 

I do think thry are far more vicitmized than in the past, yes, absolutely. 

I personally would not recommend a short set of classes. It takes a lot longer then that for something to sink in from repeated practice so it is useful in a real situation.

Guy kisses you, you slap him and he's in shock. That simple.

I think you watch too many old movies and TV shows. Not a good idea. Slap a guy in real life and you trigger a fight or flight response and most guys will attempt to establish dominance at that point to protect their ego. If you are dealing with someone who is already aggressive and you slapped him because of that the best case is having expletives and demeaning comments chucked at you while he tries to retreat with his dignity intact. Worst case he uses force to establish dominance, especially if you are alone with him or with people likely to side with or ignore anything he does.

Edited by The Nehor

While I do not deny that such racism exists, I've never experienced it. I know of no one that did not get a job due to their race even though I could probably claim I once did. My experience is that African Americans are worse off despite situations where they get equal opportunity. In my high school growing up, blacks performed lower than whites despite having all the same school and community resources available to them as did whites. In my community, non whites were more likely than whites to join gangs though drug use I'd say was about equal. I do not think minorty inequality is a result of racism but from personal choice starting in the home, especially in our modern times. 

I disagree. The reality is that virtually everyone is racist to some degree. Racism and tribalism have survival value. It can be overcome to a large degree, I know I try to do it. Saying everyone has equal access does not equalize things. Study after study shows this discrimination. I have mentioned before a friend of mine with a wealthy father who would get pulled over repeatedly by police because he was a young black guy with a nice car and they would run his plates and make sure it wasn't stolen. Even without thinking people assume the worst about many minority groups. They know this. They live in a world that is maybe not fundamentally but is at least significantly different.

I don't know what the solution is but arguing that their parents are terrible is a weak defense. They might be though and maybe it is because of the even worse racism of the past.

Also, I expect to see a rise in racism due to Trump's victory. Seeing White Nationalists talking openly about running for political office concerns me. The militarization of police concerns me. Trump tapped into a frustration that has rightly been socially stigmatized since the Civil Rights Movement. I expect more politicians and leaders tap into this. I expect this process to cross party lines. I realize that until Mormons become a target (which could happen) I am going to be okay. But that is cold comfort to those who already feel a bulls-eye.

On the bright side many of my more leftist friends are now looking to buy handguns and learn how to use them 'just in case' so basic 2nd Amendment rights are probably safe.