Sign in to follow this  
Doctrine 612

Scripture question

I was asked about these two scriptures the other day.

The question was, in mark Jesus says when you believe, signs will follow. But in Matthew people doing the same signs are told to depart. Why the miss understanding?

I told them what I thought and now I ask how would you answer this questions?

Here are the scriptures.

Matt 7:21-23
21 ¶Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Mark 16:26-17
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

In Mark he is referring to those who believe and do his will (in that case Baptism) that the signs will automatically follow them.

In Matthew he specifically states that those people weren't doing his will just by calling him Lord and producing signs.

The differentiating piece is the keeping the commandments.

Like JLH said, I think the difference between the two kinds of people is that the first group has planted the tree and so are promised the fruit.

The second group wants the fruit without being willing to plant the tree. 

On 11/4/2016 at 3:14 PM, Doctrine 612 said:

I was asked about these two scriptures the other day.

The question was, in mark Jesus says when you believe, signs will follow. But in Matthew people doing the same signs are told to depart. Why the miss understanding?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

This is the key. Jesus knowing you. Nothing else matters. Everything flows from our relationship with Jesus. 

On 11/4/2016 at 11:14 AM, Doctrine 612 said:

21 ¶Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

It is apparent that if we doeth the will of the Father in Heaven we shall enter the kingdom of Heaven.

On 11/4/2016 at 11:14 AM, Doctrine 612 said:

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity

If we don't do the will of our Father in Heaven we are working iniquity and therefore we neither know Christ, nor does He know us as His sheep.

I have personally seen people with the power of the priesthood, perform blessing and such, that have worked according to the faith of those who received those blessings, perhaps even the faith of the priesthood holder too, and then down the road, those same priesthood holders up and leave the church and start following selfish pursuits instead. In my opinion, I think this scripture in Matt. 7 applies to these types of people the most. We can accept Christ, but we aren't really accepting Him fully unless we do has He has told us to do and, "Keep His commandments."

3 hours ago, danielwoods said:

This is the key. Jesus knowing you. Nothing else matters. Everything flows from our relationship with Jesus. 

And how does Jesus know us?

It's clearly not by recognizing him and praising him as our Lord and Savior.
It's not by professing miracles and signs.

I John 3: 2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

Edited by JLHPROF

9 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

And how does Jesus know us?

It's a great question. 

It's answered by the greatest commandment. 

1) Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.

2) Love your neighbor as yourself. 

As Jesus said, “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love." (Jn. 15:9)

"Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.” (Jn. 14:21)   "My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you." (Jn. 15:12)

1 hour ago, danielwoods said:

It's a great question. 

It's answered by the greatest commandment. 

1) Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.

2) Love your neighbor as yourself. 

As Jesus said, “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love." (Jn. 15:9)

"Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.” (Jn. 14:21)   "My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you." (Jn. 15:12)

All true.
But Christ had more commands than love.  True, love encompasses many of them, but he commanded many other things.
Oddly enough those commandments of Christ are ignored by many religions claiming to follow Christ.

Mark 16 in the OP is just one of those.

Edited by JLHPROF

10 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

All true.
But Christ had more commands than love.  True, love encompasses many of them, but he commanded many other things.
Oddly enough those commandments of Christ are ignored by many religions claiming to follow Christ.

Mark 16 in the OP is just one of those.

For those who wish to load themselves up with commands that is true. Jesus explained what was important though. 

10 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

True, love encompasses many of them, but he commanded many other things.

True love, which is Christ's love, always seemed to encompass each and every commandment that I am aware of. I would surely like to see some commandments that true Christ like love doesn't encompass so I can study them, because I just don't yet see it.

1 hour ago, danielwoods said:

For those who wish to load themselves up with commands that is true. Jesus explained what was important though. 

John 14:15 "If ye love me, keep my commandments."

Maybe actions speak louder than words.