Seriously No Politics ×

Deseret News calls on Trump to resign his candidacy

canard78

15 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Sexual assault and rape are more than sexual immorality issues and she covered for him and intimidated the victims.  I find that highly immoral.  They should both drop out.  The media always covers for the dems and downplays their scandals.  I think the Deseret News should have called for them both to drop out.  The Deseret News should demand a high level of integrity from both parties and clearly, neither of these candidates have that.

Please name me one wife that would be glad about her husband's public cheating.

3 hours ago, thesometimesaint said:

So when the Church excommunicates the man for adultery its the wife's fault.

No, she is however responsible for her own reaction, including if she tries to intimidate a victim of her husband's.

http://nypost.com/2016/08/15/hillarys-site-edits-sexual-assault-pledge-after-rape-claims-against-bill-resurface/

Edited by Calm
4 hours ago, bsjkki said:

I'm very discouraged.  I don't like Trump at all but I also feel frustrated with the hypocrisy on the left.  They vilify Trump (appropriate) but turn a blind eye to Hillary and Bill (inappropriate).  LDS leaders warn and refuse to back Trump (appropriate) but do they then believe Hillary is a more moral option?  I just don't get it.  One candidate is being supported in their sins and one is being called to repent.  Where does the true evil lie?   

I can understand those who say they are going to vote for “the lesser of two evils.”  To me, the hypocrisy comes in when the supporters of one candidate are quick to condemn the despicable conduct of the other candidate, while overlooking, defending, and/or minimizing the despicable conduct of their own candidate.  In the case of the DN editorial staff, I presume that they generally vote republican.  If so, perhaps one reason why they did not also call upon Hillary to withdraw is that they may hold their own “side” to a higher standard.  After all, if you really believe your side is better, would it really be unreasonable to hold your own guys  to a higher standard?  (BTW, have any democratic leaning newspapers or democratic office holders called on Hillary to withdraw?)  

50 minutes ago, Sleeper Cell said:

I can understand those who say they are going to vote for “the lesser of two evils.”  To me, the hypocrisy comes in when the supporters of one candidate are quick to condemn the despicable conduct of the other candidate, while overlooking, defending, and/or minimizing the despicable conduct of their own candidate.  In the case of the DN editorial staff, I presume that they generally vote republican.  If so, perhaps one reason why they did not also call upon Hillary to withdraw is that they may hold their own “side” to a higher standard.  After all, if you really believe your side is better, would it really be unreasonable to hold your own guys  to a higher standard?  (BTW, have any democratic leaning newspapers or democratic office holders called on Hillary to withdraw?)  

I think both candidates lack moral character.  If that's a wash, most would then vote ideology. I think, a newspaper should not treat one candidate more favorably than another.  Neither of these candidates are fit for the office.

On 10/8/2016 at 5:31 PM, canard78 said:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865664336/In-our-opinion-Donald-Trump-should-resign-his-candidacy.html?pg=all

If he doesn't, will this see Utah return it's electoral vote for a democrat for the first time in... (however long it has been)?

Sorry... politics and religion probably don't mix.

So instead my question bringing it back to Mormonism... is this the closest the church will go to making any kind of comment on this year's election? Presumably there's not going to be a similar statement from anyone in the church?? Given the church's ownership of the paper, how close does this come to the church making a statement?

I don’t think the Church is making an official statement about Trump and the basis of sound national leadership, but is clearly exercising her right to address the public square through her media outlets.

The difference I see is that official statements are published through other venues and under the sanction of keys, whereas editorial opinions are clearly just that and represent anxious engagement in a good cause (that cause being asserting one’s voice in a democratic republic) of the editors’ own free will.

The same could be said for the decisions of businesses the Church owns but does not operate officially under the priesthood keys.

8 hours ago, thesometimesaint said:

It wasn't a crime to do  such. Just ask the FBI.

CFR

That is an outright lie.

None of your sentences make any sense.  How do any of them relate to Hillary's crimes?   Please clarify.

15 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I just barely read about Bill Clinton raping a woman, I've been in the dark about this. Wow, no words. 

This does make me worry about this man in the white house. I like Hillary until I read the stories. 

Clinton has a long trail of accusations of unwanted sexual assault and I'm not surprised you didn't hear of them.  He's a democrat and their indiscretions are not covered by the press.  I was surprised to see  this story in the New York Times detailing Hillary Clinton's involvement in discrediting Bill's accusers.  This is just one reason she is unfit to be President.  This is why the Deseret News should have called for both of them to step down. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/03/us/politics/hillary-bill-clinton-women.html

12 hours ago, thesometimesaint said:

It wasn't a crime to do  such. Just ask the FBI.

CFR

That is an outright lie.

You should read, "Hillary's America," It will CFR this and more.

18 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Thank you for this.  I'm very discouraged.  I don't like Trump at all but I also feel frustrated with the hypocrisy on the left.  They vilify Trump (appropriate) but turn a blind eye to Hillary and Bill (inappropriate).  LDS leaders warn and refuse to back Trump (appropriate) but do they then believe Hillary is a more moral option?  I just don't get it.  One candidate is being supported in their sins and one is being called to repent.  Where does the true evil lie?   

*Just to be clear--by LDS leaders, I meant politicians and editorial boards that are lds--not our actual leaders.  

I think Trump's transgressions are not the garden variety low level corruption of almost every president and presidential candidate of the last couple of generations. Yes, Hillary is corrupt, just like her husband, just like the Bushes and the Reagans. But Trump has sunk to a new low.

I'm really disappointed in the Deseret News however not to surprised, they've gone down the liberal line for the post few years. I've noticed they have stopped informing us when it's an illegal alien that has murdered or raped again. If they are going to call for Trump to step down then they should also call for Hillary. She does not use pleasant langue either, there's a whole list of here wonderful words on Drudgereport which I will not even link to here it's so bad. She treats the little people who work around her like scum, It's hypocritical of the paper not to call on both to step down.

On 10/8/2016 at 4:44 PM, Traela said:

If Utah could unite enough to give its electoral votes to a third-party candidate, things could get really interesting.

Does Evan McMullin have a chance to win Utah? That's the strongest statement that Utah could send. I'm voting for him in Arizona.

19 minutes ago, rongo said:

Does Evan McMullin have a chance to win Utah? That's the strongest statement that Utah could send. I'm voting for him in Arizona.

McMullin could win if all the non-Trump candidates aligned behind him, but I doubt the Dems or Libertarians would do so. Absent such a move, I predict that Utah's vote will be split 4 ways - with each major candidate getting at least 10% of the vote - but Trump will still take the state by 5-10%.

3 hours ago, Gray said:

I think Trump's transgressions are not the garden variety low level corruption of almost every president and presidential candidate of the last couple of generations. Yes, Hillary is corrupt, just like her husband, just like the Bushes and the Reagans. But Trump has sunk to a new low.

I don’t recall President Reagan or either President Bush ever lying under oath.  Perhaps you can refresh my memory.

And Trump’s “new low,” as despicable as it is, did not involve misusing this country's highest offices of public trust  (e.g., President, Senator, or Secretary of State) to facilitate and/or cover up his despicable conduct.  

And there are things much more potentially destructive to this country than the despicable conduct and corruption  of Trump and the Cliinton’s combined.  Such as the willingness of many good, and decent people to overlook and/or minimize the corruption and other despicable conduct of their “own guy,” while not hesitating to condemn the misconduct of the “other guy.”  (“Garden variety, low level corruption,” indeed.)  That is precisely how we got stuck with Hillary and Trump in the first place.  

4 hours ago, Gray said:

But Trump has sunk to a new low.

That is hyperbole.  Sure Trump has "enthusiasm" for women but Bill (Bubba) Clinton has NEVER been called to account for raping the four women except for Monica Lewdwinsky and some fines for a few grope victims.  If Trump had done that, he would have been in prison years ago.  If a leftist get caught, the press goes into overdrive to defend, deflect, or excuse.  If a conservative did it, there is HELL to pay.

16 minutes ago, longview said:

That is hyperbole.  Sure Trump has "enthusiasm" for women but Bill (Bubba) Clinton has NEVER been called to account for raping the four women except for Monica Lewdwinsky and some fines for a few grope victims.  If Trump had done that, he would have been in prison years ago.  If a leftist get caught, the press goes into overdrive to defend, deflect, or excuse.  If a conservative did it, there is HELL to pay.

I learned today, that there were charges against Trump for rape also. How did this country end up voting for this pair I don't know. If everything they say is true for both. 

It's embarrassing.

1 hour ago, Sleeper Cell said:

I don’t recall President Reagan or either President Bush ever lying under oath.  Perhaps you can refresh my memory.

And Trump’s “new low,” as despicable as it is, did not involve misusing this country's highest offices of public trust  (e.g., President, Senator, or Secretary of State) to facilitate and/or cover up his despicable conduct.  

And there are things much more potentially destructive to this country than the despicable conduct and corruption  of Trump and the Cliinton’s combined.  Such as the willingness of many good, and decent people to overlook and/or minimize the corruption and other despicable conduct of their “own guy,” while not hesitating to condemn the misconduct of the “other guy.”  (“Garden variety, low level corruption,” indeed.)  That is precisely how we got stuck with Hillary and Trump in the first place.  

Perhaps you'll recall Iran contra? 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not voting for Hillary. At worst she might be another Nixon. Trump is something far, far worse. 

29 minutes ago, longview said:

Trump admitted on tape to sexual assault. Has Bill ever been convicted of raping anyone? Or did he ever admit to it? Or are you getting your information from extremist partisan sources?

Edited by Gray
4 hours ago, Gray said:

Who did he get Killed??

1 hour ago, rongo said:

I've wondered if he could win at all. Let's assume that 70% of the country wanted him could he legally win?  I understand he didn't make a deadline in CA, but I don't know if that means he cannot win even if he gets all of the votes or if he could actually be in.  Then you add all the rules of every state.  I'd really like a tutorial about the legalities/rules for what happens with each candidate. Even if Trump steps down BEFORE the election does that mean it goes to Pence or do the republivans have no candidates? I've heard it both ways.