Seriously No Politics ×

Ancient Nephite healing technique revealed!

Eek!

Did that sound like a headline from the National Enquirer??

Seriously, I do believe there is a very good chance that what I'm going to describe originated with the Nephites, assuming (as Elder LeGrand Richards indicated) the Pacific Islanders, including the Hawaiians, are descended from Nephites.

Any of you watch Hawaii Five-O? The word the native Hawaiians use for white people sounds like “howly”. Actually the word came from “ha ole”, and it means “no breath”. The word has a very interesting background.

When the first white missionaries came to the islands, the Hawaiians were shocked at how they prayed. The white men would not breathe in power, or “mana”, before they prayed, and therefore to the Hawaiians, their prayers had no power. So the word they used for white man was “ha ole”, or “no breath”.

Before a Hawaiian, presumably following the traditions of his fathers the Nephites, would pray, he would breathe in deeply, with the intention of gathering mana, or power. Do you know what the original meaning of the word “inspire”is? In the original Latin, it means “to breath in”! How about that – we have a connection between the inbreath and “inspiration” in our language, too!

So here is the ancient Nephite healing technique: Before you bless someone, or pray for someone, or set someone apart for a calling, or do anything where you need power from God, close your eyes (if feasible) and draw in a deep chest-expanding breath, and here's the key, do so with the intention of drawing in Power, be it power in the Priesthood or whatever. You can give it a try right now, just sit up straight and try it, and see if you don't feel a difference.

So the next time you pray (whether alone or not) or bless someone or anything like that, first breathe in deeply with the intention of drawing in power from God. This can be done unobtrusively, and nobody will notice. It worked for the Nephites, if my theory is correct, and it will work for us too.

28 minutes ago, telnetd said:

Do you have a Book of Mormon reference for that?

Gail

It's not in the Book of Mormon.  The connection comes from the assumption that this is a practice passed down from the ancestors of the Hawaiians, who presumably were Nephites.  I'll admit the possibility of an actual historical connection is somewhat tenuous, but imo the more valuable point is that it's an effective technique.  

The religion/philosophy of the Hawaiians, known as "Huna" (which means "that which is not readily apparent" - and a "Kahuna" is a "master of that which is not readily apparent") is a remarkably wise and insightful thought system in my opinion.  Whether it actually traces back to the ancient Nephites I cannot say, but if the Hawaiians are in fact descended from the Nephites, then arguably they are still Nephites.  

For instance, one of the principles of Huna is, "effectiveness is the measure of truth".  That's a very succinct summation of the testing process taught in Alma chapter 32.  

Edited by Eek!
11 hours ago, Eek! said:

It's not in the Book of Mormon.  The connection comes from the assumption that this is a practice passed down from the ancestors of the Hawaiians, who presumably were Nephites.  

The religion/philosophy of the Hawaiians, known as "Huna" (which means "that which is not readily apparent" - and a "Kahuna" is a "master of that which is not readily apparent")... 

For instance, one of the principles of Huna is, "effectiveness is the measure of truth".  That's a very succinct summation of the testing process taught in Alma chapter 32.  

A potentially-related thought:

"...The [Lakota sacred pipe] is one means of conveying prayers to the Creator and the other sacred beings. The various parts of the pipe have symbolic meanings, and much of this symbolism is not shared with those outside the culture...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chanunpa 

"...Traditionally [ceremonial pipes] are used to offer prayers in a religious ceremony, to make a ceremonial commitment, or to seal a covenant or treaty....Historically, ceremonial pipes have been used to mark war and peace, as well as commerce and trade, and social and political decision-making. Many Native American cultures still practice these ceremonies..." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceremonial_pipe 

To be clear, I'm not advocating smoking.

So in addition to Hawaiian thought, among many Native Americans, inhaling was/is central to Native American thought/practice in the context of crucial events and making crucial decisions.

Likewise, you can each request/receive inspiration (inhale) for matters relative to your sphere of responsibility, and then share (and/or privately record) what you have received, if/when/where appropriate (exhale).

Prophecy/Prophet - from pro‘ before’ + phētēs ‘speaker’  (Suggesting what happened before speaking....which is in essence what Eek is suggesting...except instead of merely breathing in oxygen, seeking/receiving God's will/direction/assistance/power/in-spiration.) Based on a number of things I've had the privilege to read, I see that approach as a core principle of Native American culture.

Also, consider the encouragement in this core NT passage: http://biblehub.com/interlinear/1_corinthians/14-1.htm

So I believe we're saying *part* of the same thing - except that breathing in, as referenced by continental Native Americans, Hawaiians, and Greek-speaking Christians, and Hebrew-speaking Jews (neshamah = "blast, that breaths, inspiration, soul, spirit") was referencing a word that *could* be taken to mean one thing (literal breathing), while spiritually alluding to something much more significant.

Edited by notHagoth7
On 9/24/2016 at 1:21 AM, Eek! said:

So here is the ancient Nephite healing technique: Before you bless someone, or pray for someone, or set someone apart for a calling, or do anything where you need power from God, close your eyes (if feasible) and draw in a deep chest-expanding breath, and here's the key, do so with the intention of drawing in Power, be it power in the Priesthood or whatever. You can give it a try right now, just sit up straight and try it, and see if you don't feel a difference.

So the next time you pray (whether alone or not) or bless someone or anything like that, first breathe in deeply with the intention of drawing in power from God. This can be done unobtrusively, and nobody will notice. It worked for the Nephites, if my theory is correct, and it will work for us too.

You also have to be sure your shakras are aligned, your kundilini has risen, and that your humours are in balance. Also see your chiropractor weekly to make sure your innate intelligence is properly adjusted.

3 hours ago, The Nehor said:

You also have to be sure your shakras are aligned, your kundilini has risen, and that your humours are in balance. Also see your chiropractor weekly to make sure your innate intelligence is properly adjusted.

In my experience there can be connections between the physical and the non-physical, and consciously using the breath is one way to use such connections. Another way is to stand up and raise your right arm to the square. That will often be accompanied by a surge of power, but it's a lot more obtrusive than quietly inhaling with intention, so we tend to reserve it for special occasions.

Not sure about your advice on shakras and kundalini, but my sense of humour is definitely out of balance. Do you think the chiropractor could help with that?

Edited by Eek!
On 9/23/2016 at 8:21 PM, Eek! said:

Seriously, I do believe there is a very good chance that what I'm going to describe originated with the Nephites, assuming (as Elder LeGrand Richards indicated) the Pacific Islanders, including the Hawaiians, are descended from Nephites.

Any of you watch Hawaii Five-O? The word the native Hawaiians use for white people sounds like “howly”. Actually the word came from “ha ole”, and it means “no breath”. The word has a very interesting background.

When the first white missionaries came to the islands, the Hawaiians were shocked at how they prayed. The white men would not breathe in power, or “mana”, before they prayed, and therefore to the Hawaiians, their prayers had no power. So the word they used for white man was “ha ole”, or “no breath”.

Before a Hawaiian, presumably following the traditions of his fathers the Nephites, would pray, he would breathe in deeply, with the intention of gathering mana, or power. Do you know what the original meaning of the word “inspire”is? In the original Latin, it means “to breath in”! How about that – we have a connection between the inbreath and “inspiration” in our language, too!

That is interesting, because I never heard that about the missionaries exclusively, but that doesn't make it not true either. It is something I will have to check more into. My understanding of the word, "Haole," is a little different, but very similar at the same time. In order to put it into context a little more I think there needs to be a little more definition in the word, "Ha," and the words that are inclusive of, "Ha.":

Ha means, "The breath of life." Since you can't live without breath. It is considered part of your essence. Breathing does give you, "Mana, which means, "Power."

"Ha," in the word, "Hawaii," means, "Living," "Wai," means, "Water," as in fresh water because, "Kai," means ocean/salt water. Put together in the whole word, "Hawaii," it means, "Place of the living waters." Again this denotes a, "Mana," in the water this time though.

"Aloha," means more than one thing. The, "Ha, in this word again means, "The breath of life." Put together into, "Aloha," it means, "Sharing the breath of life," in a very intimate meaning to the word, "sharing." Aloha is used to say, "Hello, I love you," and, Goodbye, I love you."

When Hawaiians greeted each other with, "Aloha," while they either said, "Hello," or, "Goodbye," they would do this by embracing each other. They would (and still do when it is traditionally done properly) press their foreheads together, sharing, "The breath of life," through their noses, since they are in such close proximity to each other, breathing in each others' breath, in a loving embrace that I find hard to express in words.

The term, "Haole," which means, "Without the breath of life," as my understanding is, is what was used to define any foreigner who didn't use the greeting of, "Aloha," in the form that I wrote about here, when they either arrived, or left. It had absolutely nothing to do with the color of skin, or race. It has since been turned into a slang form, that in a derogatory way describes a white guy, like me. It is akin to using the N word to describe a black person, but it is slang and it's original meaning has nothing to do with that. Just a little more, as experienced by me for the last few decades.

A Hawaiian-Nephite connection seems purely speculative and probably unnecessary. Breathing techniques are effective and used in many forms of meditation throughout the ages and all over the world. I am reminded of Wim Hoff's breathing method which definitely does have an effect. I do it on occasion. If you've never heard of this guy check out the "iceman"... he is featured in a TED talk on Youtube where he demonstrates his ability stay in ice for an extended amount of time without dropping his core temperature.

On 9/24/2016 at 1:21 AM, Eek! said:

I do find that deep breathing has a positive effect on me. I don't think anyone is literally drawing in some kind of supernatural power this way, but if that's a helpful way to think of it, why not? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/09/2016 at 10:01 AM, Eek! said:

It's not in the Book of Mormon.  The connection comes from the assumption that this is a practice passed down from the ancestors of the Hawaiians, who presumably were Nephites.  I'll admit the possibility of an actual historical connection is somewhat tenuous, but imo the more valuable point is that it's an effective technique.

Or the Hawaiians were presumably descendants of Laman or Lemuel or they were not related to
any tribe of Israel.

Gail