Sign in to follow this  
bsjkki

Statement on energy healing by church

A friend sent me this link to a news story.  In it the church made this statement. 

“We urge Church members to be cautious about participating in any group that promises-in exchange for money-miraculous healings or that claims to have special methods for accessing healing power outside of properly ordained priesthood holders,” said church spokesman Eric Hawkins.

http://kutv.com/news/local/the-business-behind-christ-centered-energy-healing

I watched this on the news last night. It is pretty interesting stuff! It almost reminded me of watching a Evangelical church meeting and that it's members really just want Jesus Christ in their lives. As the gentlemen mentioned in the video. And then how the woman laid hands on the customer in prayer, real similar to a PH blessing. 

11 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

And then how the woman laid hands on the customer in prayer, real similar to a PH blessing. 

Except no one involved in a priesthood blessing is a customer. ;)

...and I almost forgot about the authority to act in God's name part as well.

Edited by ksfisher

As a devoted follower of Simon Magus I have to ask how much it costs to purchase this amazing power.

I find this very interesting ..not sure what to think of it.  I wonder if we are maybe tapping into the power of ourselves and positive thinking.  Not a bad thing.  As it is, if I am finding it hard to believe in the restoration of the priesthood, it stands that I might find it more interesting than most.  As far as any payment..if any..those who received Priesthood blessings are often those who have sustained the church monetary wise in one capacity or another.  Still thinking on this..so don't chastise me yet.:(

Just now, The Nehor said:

As a devoted follower of Simon Magus I have to ask how much it costs to purchase this amazing power.

Oh, I did not read far enough. $90 an hour for treatment and $1000 an hour for mentoring. Wow, that makes chiropractors look like good witch doctors.

And I have the authentic Priesthood? I can probably charge $900 for healings and $10,000 to confer it on others due to the increase in potency. No more office job for me anymore! WOOHOO!

1 minute ago, The Nehor said:

Oh, I did not read far enough. $90 an hour for treatment and $1000 an hour for mentoring. Wow, that makes chiropractors look like good witch doctors.

And I have the authentic Priesthood? I can probably charge $900 for healings and $10,000 to confer it on others due to the increase in potency. No more office job for me anymore! WOOHOO!

Woo...should have read further...hey...I will stick to my positive thinking!!

I know a lot of people into this so was happy to see this response from the church.  

Just now, bsjkki said:

I know a lot of people into this so was happy to see this response from the church.  

If I did not have a conscience I would make a killing in Utah. Stupid Light of Christ....

Is there a weird scam that doesn't work there? Anything?

4 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

i am thinking that it would help if a lot of churches would chime in.  Maybe they will.  Priesthood or not..this is a scam!!

37 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Speaking of chiropractors, my MIL probably sustains hers for life, with the amount of visits she makes per month.

1 hour ago, Jeanne said:

As far as any payment..if any..those who received Priesthood blessings are often those who have sustained the church monetary wise in one capacity or another.  Still thinking on this..so don't chastise me yet.:(

Not a chastisement here. Just wanted to say that mostly those who do receive blessings are the active members who have a testimony of the restoration and healing power of the priesthood. I have personally given blessings to some children whose parents are not members.

As to the power of positive thinking, I do believe that it has a lot to do with our physical as well as our mental health. But when the an infant of less than a year in age running a high temperature receives a blessing and the temperature almost immediately begins to abate, I do not see how the power of positive thinking can account for that.

Glenn

54 minutes ago, Glenn101 said:

Not a chastisement here. Just wanted to say that mostly those who do receive blessings are the active members who have a testimony of the restoration and healing power of the priesthood. I have personally given blessings to some children whose parents are not members.

As to the power of positive thinking, I do believe that it has a lot to do with our physical as well as our mental health. But when the an infant of less than a year in age running a high temperature receives a blessing and the temperature almost immediately begins to abate, I do not see how the power of positive thinking can account for that.

Glenn

Had a chance to think on it..and read further.  Because this is such a money sham, I am glad the church spoke out on it and hope other organizations will do that also. 

Reminds me of Joseph Smith's statement on Phrenology.

"Joseph Smith said to D Ells, & to the Congregation that he for a lenth of time, thought on phreknoleagee [phrenology]; & that he had a Revalation. the Lord Rebuking him sharply in Crediting such a thing; & further said there was No Reality in such a science But was the works of the Devil;" 
- Words of Joseph Smith pg 61.

Yet Joseph also consented 6 months later to have a phrenological study done of his own skull at one point which was published.

Sketchy medical practices have been around for ages.

5 hours ago, bsjkki said:

A friend sent me this link to a news story.  In it the church made this statement. 

“We urge Church members to be cautious about participating in any group that promises-in exchange for money-miraculous healings or that claims to have special methods for accessing healing power outside of properly ordained priesthood holders,” said church spokesman Eric Hawkins.

http://kutv.com/news/local/the-business-behind-christ-centered-energy-healing

I think it interesting that the counsel is to members, and says nothing about the rightness of any particular practice. It is counsel to be cautious, not a condemnation of all alternative healing practices.

Promises of miraculous healings, claims to special methods for accessing the healing power of Christ (i.e. beyond or customary faith, prayer and ordinances that the Lord’s will be done), and the exchange of money for such all warrant caution because they run contrary to the order observed by properly ordained priesthood holders, who operate under the keys held by the Apostles as delegated under Christ.

The comparison might be made to the sale of worshipful art. Medicine is an art, and worshipful medicine is one thing, but promises, claims and payments for using of name of Christ are quite another. It’s like saying, “Buy this picture / song because they were created using special arts that imbue them with the power of Christ that will have a miraculous impact upon the viewer / listener.”

3 hours ago, CV75 said:

I think it interesting that the counsel is to members, and says nothing about the rightness of any particular practice. It is counsel to be cautious, not a condemnation of all alternative healing practices.

Promises of miraculous healings, claims to special methods for accessing the healing power of Christ (i.e. beyond or customary faith, prayer and ordinances that the Lord’s will be done), and the exchange of money for such all warrant caution because they run contrary to the order observed by properly ordained priesthood holders, who operate under the keys held by the Apostles as delegated under Christ.

The comparison might be made to the sale of worshipful art. Medicine is an art, and worshipful medicine is one thing, but promises, claims and payments for using of name of Christ are quite another. It’s like saying, “Buy this picture / song because they were created using special arts that imbue them with the power of Christ that will have a miraculous impact upon the viewer / listener.”

I think they urge caution instead of condemnation so that we do not burn these people as crazy witch doctors. I mean, they are crazy witch doctors, but we are not allowed to burn them because of that ridiculous obsolete commandment about not killing people.

Edited by The Nehor

I investigated Reiki a few year ago, and came to the conclusion that it is way too much centered on money changing hands and on the ego trip of being able to proclaim oneself to be a "Reiki Master".  

That being said, imo and ime the healing energy does not belong exclusively to the Priesthood.  LDS sisters were blessing and healing people for decades in the early Church, the Christian Scientists have a very practical understanding of healing, and in Mark 16:17-18 we find this among Jesus' final instructions before ascending into heaven:  "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name... they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."  Joseph Smith cited those verses in defense of sisters giving blessings, as recorded in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, page 223.  That's the "imo" part... the "ime" part would be out of place in this thread.  

30 minutes ago, Eek! said:

I investigated Reiki a few year ago, and came to the conclusion that it is way too much centered on money changing hands and on the ego trip of being able to proclaim oneself to be a "Reiki Master".  

That being said, imo and ime the healing energy does not belong exclusively to the Priesthood.  LDS sisters were blessing and healing people for decades in the early Church, the Christian Scientists have a very practical understanding of healing, and in Mark 16:17-18 we find this among Jesus' final instructions before ascending into heaven:  "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name... they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."  Joseph Smith cited those verses in defense of sisters giving blessings, as recorded in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, page 223.  That's the "imo" part... the "ime" part would be out of place in this thread.  

I am okay with sisters and/or non-members and/or non-priesthood bearing LDS exercising the gift of healing. God can use his power and work miracles as he wishes. We have a unique access but I have never heard it declared to be exclusive. I am not okay with people claiming they can miraculously heal at will (that is at God's discretion) or that want to be paid to try to heal someone. I am not sure whether it qualifies as priestcraft or sorcery but either way.....not good.

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

I am okay with sisters and/or non-members and/or non-priesthood bearing LDS exercising the gift of healing.

I think you're in good company... apparently God doesn't have a problem with it either.

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

I am not okay with people claiming they can miraculously heal at will (that is at God's discretion) or that want to be paid to try to heal someone. I am not sure whether it qualifies as priestcraft or sorcery but either way.....not good.

The way it was explained to me (and this is filtered through my feeble memory), the founder of Reiki was a teacher who was a follower of Jesus and he went on a serious spiritual quest to understand how Jesus healed people.  That quest culminated in a 40-day fast and at the end of the fast he found that he had acquired a powerful healing ability.  He used it free of charge to benefit many people, including crippled people who were begging in the street.  Then one day he came across a beggar that he had healed, and the man was begging once again.  He asked the man why, and the man said that begging was easier than working for a living.  This really upset the Reiki man, so from that moment on he charged for his healing services, and made the exchange of money an integral part of Reiki for all of his students, on the theory that having to pay would make people appreciate what they received.

In my opinion that was a major mistake.  Jesus never charged people for healing them.

The waters are muddied if someone wishes to practice energy healing as a full-time occupation, because they still have bills to pay.  I do not think they are necessarily evil for wanting to do this, but I'm not wise enough to figure it all out.  If doing energy healing work was my heart's desire, I would probably work in a related field like holistic health and offer energy healing free of charge if/when it felt right for me to do so.  

Edited by Eek!

9 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I think they urge caution instead of condemnation so that we do not burn these people as crazy witch doctors. I mean, they are crazy witch doctors, but we are not allowed to burn them because of that ridiculous obsolete commandment about not killing people.

Crazy like a fox LOL

Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah-AAh

Ting, Tang,

Walla Walla Bing Bang!

8 hours ago, Eek! said:

I had a good (LDS Temple endowed) friend who started getting involved in Reiki, amongst other things about 15 years ago.. When she was given a word of caution by her Bishop she was most indignant. 

Today she and her 'Shaman' (previously Melchezidek PH holder) husband are completely inactive and spend their time putting their crystals out in the moonlight to absorb energy.:wacko::wacko:.

Sorry, but to my logical mind, these 'energy' healing methods just don't make sense. Yes, I know Priesthood blessings don't make sense to some people either, but they are blessings given with God's authority, and that counts for something in my world.

Edited by busybee

22 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I watched this on the news last night. It is pretty interesting stuff! It almost reminded me of watching a Evangelical church meeting and that it's members really just want Jesus Christ in their lives. As the gentlemen mentioned in the video. And then how the woman laid hands on the customer in prayer, real similar to a PH blessing. 

Except for the customer part. ;)

Does this have an connection to Julie Rowe and her involvement with the "emotion Code" which is supposed to heal people?  Does she still have a big following?

4 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Does this have an connection to Julie Rowe and her involvement with the "emotion Code" which is supposed to heal people?  Does she still have a big following?

I wondered the same thing!

Sign in to follow this