Seriously No Politics ×

Gene Wilder has died

Okrahomer

I was sad to learn of the death of Gene Wilder today.  I loved his semi-crazy yet lovable movie characters.  When Gilda Radner passed away, I felt terribly sorry for him.  I heard a "faith-promoting rumor" several years ago that quoted Gene Wilder with this:. "Well, I'm a Jewish-Buddhist-Mormon, I guess."  

But as it turns out, he actually said:. "Well, I'm a Jewish-Buddhist-Atheist, I guess.".   Kind of big difference.

But then, apparently he had had some kind of experience with Mormonism.  He published a book of short stories What Is This Thing Called Love.  One of those stories entitled The Flirt begins with the following:

"She pretended to be a big flirt, and I knew she really wasn't.  How did I know?  I found out from one of my close friends, who knew from one of her close friends, that Lolly Adams had been raised up in a Mormon family."

God bless Gene Wilder.  I have no idea what he really thought of Mormons or Mormonism--probably not much; nevertheless, I did enjoy his comic genius and admired what seemed to me to be his very gentle soul.

1 hour ago, Eek! said:

Gene reunited with Gilda!   I miss 'em both, but their reunion is plenty enough silver lining for me. 

That's being said a lot about Gene and Gilda, but I do wonder what this does for his now widow, Karen Boyer Wilder, to whom he was married for nearly 25 years, and cared for him through his final illnesses.  Gilda and he were together for only about 5 years before she died.  I have no doubt that he loved her greatly, and missed her after she was gone, but Karen ought to get a slice of joy as well -- of course, she's not famous like Gilda Radner was, so nobody's thinking of her.

Of course, this doesn't eliminate the possibility that Gilda was there to welcome him!

Edited by Stargazer
27 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

That's being said a lot about Gene and Gilda, but I do wonder what this does for his now widow, Karen Boyer Wilder, to whom he was married for nearly 25 years, and cared for him through his final illnesses.  Gilda and he were together for only about 5 years before she died.  I have no doubt that he loved her greatly, and missed her after she was gone, but Karen ought to get a slice of joy as well -- of course, she's not famous like Gilda Radner was, so nobody's thinking of her.

Of course, this doesn't eliminate the possibility that Gilda was there to welcome him!

Imo there has to be a way that Heaven is Heaven for everyone there, such that nobody gets cheated.  Theorizing how that might work is of course beyond the scope of this thread.

1 hour ago, Eek! said:

Imo there has to be a way that Heaven is Heaven for everyone there, such that nobody gets cheated.  Theorizing how that might work is of course beyond the scope of this thread.

I completely agree with you!