Seriously No Politics ×

Signature lines: Do you see them?

Do you enable yourself to view sig lines?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Signature lines: Do you see them?

• Yes, I have set my account so that sginature lines on posts are visible to me.
    • No, I don't care to view signature lines people add to their posts, so I have set my account so they are invisbible to me.

I just spent some time updating the signature on my posts. I added one quote -- from Dallin H. Oaks -- and removed two others. And I fixed the formatting, which was screwed up and hard to read before.

But then I wondered: To what avail? How much exposure does it get?

So I thought I would take a poll to get some indication of the proportion of people who set their account so that signature lines in posts are visible to them.

Edited by Scott Lloyd

I can see the signature lines, but I didn't set my account to view them, or not. I don't care if I see them because I can just scroll past them if I don't want to read them. I didn't vote because there wasn't an option that said, "Yes I see them, but I didn't set my account to view them."

15 minutes ago, waveslider said:

I can see the signature lines, but I didn't set my account to view them, or not. I don't care if I see them because I can just scroll past them if I don't want to read them. I didn't vote because there wasn't an option that said, "Yes I see them, but I didn't set my account to view them."

If you can see them, the account is set by default to enable it. Leaving the setting in place is tantamount to setting it that way, by my way of thinking, since the choice is yours in any case.

But, of course it is up to you as to whether or not to vote in the poll. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
7 minutes ago, Calm said:

I set general to see them, but then after I read them I individually put them on ignore unless they make me laugh.  Always can use a laugh.

Didn't know the individual setting was an option. I've learned something. 

Of course, with those that are on ignore, you won't know it when somebody changes his/her sig line (as I just did with mine). 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
23 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

If you can see them, the account is set by default to enable it. Leaving the setting in place is tantamount to setting it that way, by my way of thinking, since the choice is yours in any case.

But, of course it is up to you as to whether or not to vote in the poll. 

Okay, since you put it that way. I just voted yes. :)

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Didn't know the individual setting was an option. I've learned something. 

Of course, with those that are on ignore, you won't know it when somebody changes his/her sig line (as I just did with mine). 

There is a little x in the upper right hand of the signature box.  You can click on that to see the option.  You can also go to the ignore user page and type in the member's name and check ignore signature and anything else you want.

Where's the option of: no, I haven't been able to since the last board update and have been too lazy to figure out how to change that.

because that would be me

with luv,

BD

I put "no". I don't remember if I have them on or not.  I am almost always on my phone here (MD&D) so I can't see them. I would hide them on the computer if I remembered that option while there. 

Edited by Rain
27 minutes ago, BlueDreams said:

Where's the option of: no, I haven't been able to since the last board update and have been too lazy to figure out how to change that.

because that would be me

with luv,

BD

This is the case for me too.  Even when I could see them, I'd usually just read the one liners occasionally.

I found the very long ones with several quotes and colors to be a bit much and pretentiously preachy.  But that's just me. Maybe some enjoy reading them.

Oh, i just went on my computer and realized I do see them. I was on my phone prior. That should tell you how much I actually read or really see them. (I should note, I've had the same sig line for years. I honestly don't remember the last time I changed it....probably whenever I add the UMW thing....so 5 maybe 6 years ago.)

With luv,

BD

9 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I just spent some time updating the signature line on my posts. I added one quote -- from Dallin H. Oaks -- and removed two others. And I fixed the formatting, which was screwed up and hard to read before.

So I thought I would take a poll to get some indication of the proportion of people who set their account so that signature lines in posts are visible to them.

How do I put in a signature line?

59 minutes ago, thesometimesaint said:

How do I put in a signature line?

Here's how I do it:

I go to the extreme upper-right-hand corner of the board, where my login name is situated, and click on the name.

I click on "Account Settings". This brings up the "Settings" screen.

On the left of that screen are three links, one of which is "Signature." Click on that, and it will take you to a screen with a field where you can compose your signature. You are limited in number of lines, but there is quite a bit of flexibility with typeface, font size, font color, etc. (Bear in mind, though, that JulieM will ignore it if it has colors and quotes, because she finds that sort of thing "preachy.")

After you've written your signature, click on "Save", then navigate back to one of the forums. Your new signature will appear retroactively on each and every post you've made.

Good luck!

Edited by Scott Lloyd
9 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I just spent some time updating the signature on my posts. I added one quote -- from Dallin H. Oaks -- and removed two others. And I fixed the formatting, which was screwed up and hard to read before.

I see them and once I read them I typically ignore them.  Yours especially....:rolleyes:   Just kidding.....

24 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Here's how I do it:

I go to the extreme upper-right-hand corner of the board, where my login in name is situated, and click on the name.

I click on "Account Settings". This brings up the "Settings" screen.

On the left of that screen are three links, one of which is "Signature." Click on that, and it will take you to a screen with a field where you can compose your signature. You are limited in number of lines, but there is quite a bit of flexibility with typeface, font size, font color, etc. (Bear in mind, though, that JulieM will ignore it if it has colors and quotes, because she finds that sort of thing "preachy.")

After you've written your signature, click on "Save", then navigate back to one of the forums. Your new signature will appear retroactively on each and every post you've made.

Good luck!

Thanx.

10 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I have one taken from a Joni Mitchell song "Both sides now, or clouds"...it is line from the song that warns from letting people know to much of your heart, to avoid rejection. I have it there to remind myself not to give to much away, to remind me that people can be so cruel at times. I try to appear strong and that nothing hurts me, but I have the heart of a poet, and am easily bruised. My wife, kids and grandkids can see right through me. I do read others sig lines, in an effort to know them better. 

24 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I'll read the short sig. lines but i usually ignore the long ones, not for any other reason than i'm just lazy.

No your not..your kid and loved here. 

I block them because they can take up so darn much room and I especially don't like those in screaming colors. But even worse are the  small essays some put under their avatars that makes their post box as big as my screen. There must have been some board changes or something because I saw sigs for a few days. I didn't realize I had one. LOL

Edited by juliann
2 hours ago, Pa Pa said:

I have one taken from a Joni Mitchell song "Both sides now, or clouds"...it is line from the song that warns from letting people know to much of your heart, to avoid rejection. I have it there to remind myself not to give to much away, to remind me that people can be so cruel at times. I try to appear strong and that nothing hurts me, but I have the heart of a poet, and am easily bruised. My wife, kids and grandkids can see right through me. I do read others sig lines, in an effort to know them better. 

You know I meant to say "you're kind", not "your kid". 😁