Seriously No Politics ×

BYU Honor Code Tweaked

Okrahomer

10 minutes ago, Calm said:

I am not sure what is going on.  Did FreeBYU just notice these changes that had happened 10 months ago?

I don't understand that either.  Perhaps we don't have all the information yet.  I've reread the report a couple of times.  It says that the Honor code changes came less than three weeks after the ABA acknowledged the complaint.  That acknowledgement may not have come until this past Spring?

Edited by Okrahomer
Spelling

Here's another article about it:

BYU softens honor code, bar association complaint rejected

"Brad Levin, a BYU law school graduate, filed a complaint with the school and then with the American Bar Association over the school's requirement that LDS students enrolled in the university, stay in the church. The ABA rejected the complaint after some room was created in the school's behavioral code for such students who lose their faith.
This change, made in November, may allow LDS students, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, to leave the church but maintain their academic standing at BYU."

If they leave the church it seems to me that even though they can stay in school they should have to pay the higher tuition that non-members pay now.

I agree with the ABA here. As a huge (understatement) BYU fan, I believe the fear of being expelled or face discipline if you turn in a rapist was simply bad policy. I support the honor code. I support the reasoning for the honor code however, sometimes the letter of the law is looked at too much. 

For more discussion go to:

4 minutes ago, Okrahomer said:

BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School is accredited by the ABA.

To practice law one must be admitted to the bar of a state. Most states (including Utah) require a JD from an ABA-accredited school. A handful also allow non-ABA schools if the school goes through a review by the state accreditation board. So if the ABA dropped BYU's accreditation, it would effectively prevent new law grads from practicing law unless a state conducted a separate review. Utah would likely do it. Maybe Idaho and Arizona too. But BYU grads would be very limited in where they could practice. Losing ABA-accreditation is tantamount to a death-knell for a law school of BYU's caliber. 

It's probably worth mentioning, that there will likely be additional changes ("tweaking") of the Honor Code and/or its enforcement at BYU.  These changes will result from the discussions BYU's "Advisory Council on Campus Response to Sexual Assault" is having.  I probably was not alone in wondering what (if any) progress the committee had made since it was formed last spring.  The Tribune published an Op-ed recently which was critical of the university for "drag(ging) its feet"; however, one can see here that the university has in fact been very busy and engaged with the issue.

Edited by Okrahomer
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2016 at 1:24 PM, Buckeye said:

To practice law one must be admitted to the bar of a state. Most states (including Utah) require a JD from an ABA-accredited school. A handful also allow non-ABA schools if the school goes through a review by the state accreditation board. So if the ABA dropped BYU's accreditation, it would effectively prevent new law grads from practicing law unless a state conducted a separate review. Utah would likely do it. Maybe Idaho and Arizona too. But BYU grads would be very limited in where they could practice. Losing ABA-accreditation is tantamount to a death-knell for a law school of BYU's caliber. 

This is almost correct. Most states allow that if one graduates from a non-accredited ABA school you can still practice law as long as you pass the bar. For instance California has the most difficult bar exam to pass, but California also has more non-accredited ABA schools too. So is the low pass rate because the non-accredited school is not teaching to the bar and less students are passing or because the Cali bar is so tough? I will be getting my JD here in May and I will be taking the UBE (uniform bar exam). If I score high enough I can transfer that score to Utah and then practice in Utah (I am from Nebraska). BTW the law school I attend is ABA accredited. To make a long story short (too late), generally, you can take the bar if you have a JD from either an accredited ABA or not accredited law school. You can also get a law degree if the state allows you to "read in,"  but that is a whole other story.

Friendly Trivia: Robert Jackson (1892-1954), was a United States Supreme Court Judge who never went to law school (it is not required to be on the Supreme Court). Justice Jackson was part of many precedent setting cases. He was also appointed to head the Nuremberg Trials.  

On 8/29/2016 at 4:02 PM, Anijen said:

This is almost correct. Most states allow that if one graduates from a non-accredited ABA school you can still practice law as long as you pass the bar. For instance California has the most difficult bar exam to pass, but California also has more non-accredited ABA schools too. So is the low pass rate because the non-accredited school is not teaching to the bar and less students are passing or because the Cali bar is so tough? I will be getting my JD here in May and I will be taking the UBE (uniform bar exam). If I score high enough I can transfer that score to Utah and then practice in Utah (I am from Nebraska). BTW the law school I attend is ABA accredited. To make a long story short (too late), generally, you can take the bar if you have a JD from either an accredited ABA or not accredited law school. You can also get a law degree if the state allows you to "read in,"  but that is a whole other story.

Friendly Trivia: Robert Jackson (1892-1954), was a United States Supreme Court Judge who never went to law school (it is not required to be on the Supreme Court). Justice Jackson was part of many precedent setting cases. He was also appointed to head the Nuremberg Trials.  

Please enlighten me as to what it means to "read in".  I am very curious.

My guess from Google (not specific to the term) was you can take the test if you picked up stuff by having served under a judge or something else that works like an apprenticeship for lawyers ("reading the law" refers to the past law apprentice practice in the US and other common law countries).

6 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Hi Stargazer! This link will explain "reading in" much better than I could, click here. In short it is a way to eventually practice law without going to law school. Also I should also note that if one graduates from a law school in Wisconsin they can practice in Wisconsin without taking the bar exam.

On 9/1/2016 at 0:11 PM, Stargazer said:

Stargazer! Love the name BTW. This has nothing to do with the topic and I apologize to any derailed readers if I have caused a waste of precious seconds to your life-span by reading this, but I had to say... Stargazer one of the books that propelled me into my scientific journey and sorta of satiated my curiosity was this book by Richard Berry. I built two of these beauties back in the late 80's early 90's (I didn't grind the lenses, was lazy and ordered them). Now I love to learn and am more curious than ever. Thanks for your name it brought/brings back some good memories.