Seriously No Politics ×

Tyler Glenn is at it again

Rivers

Lets's face it to stay relevant attention seekers like this guy will say or do whatever it takes. If he didn't have an axe to grind would he or the band be anything anymore? They haven't had an album since 2014 and that one only placed 6th in the US, woo!  Other than the LDS angle they don't seem to be connecting with the music market anymore than any others so I'm not suprised with Tyler Glenn's stuff.Mind you if Paul McCartney was saying this stuff then people would take notice but he doesn't come across as an attention seeker

20 hours ago, Rivers said:

http://fox13now.com/2016/08/08/neon-trees-tyler-glenn-previews-new-video-speaking-out-against-lds-church/

I understand why the guy is angry but how long is he going to be doing this?

There are many here who defend the way the Church chose to present and teach its narrative.  And that's their prerogative.  But, this is the kind of stuff we're going to get when someone, particularly someone who has access to a microphone, feels the need to express the betrayal they are experiencing.

47 minutes ago, rockpond said:

There are many here who defend the way the Church chose to present and teach its narrative.  And that's their prerogative.  But, this is the kind of stuff we're going to get when someone, particularly someone who has access to a microphone, feels the need to express the betrayal they are experiencing.

So he's chosen to separate himself from the Lord's church and he's the victim?

1 minute ago, Tacenda said:

Yeah, I wonder what life would be for Tyler had the church not instituted "the policy".

Yep, there was a period of time where he was going to hold out as an active gay mormon.  The policy triggered his deep dive into some of the controversial issues that ultimately led to his separation from the church.  I do hope that he is able to find peace.

5 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Yeah, I wonder what life would be for Tyler had the church not instituted "the policy".

No different. The church has always had the same position on homosexuality.

Edited by Rivers
19 minutes ago, rockpond said:

You might want to actually listen to Tyler's story before making that conclusion.

Before the policy, there seemed to be a change in the atmosphere that the church was going to be more inclusive, but that changed.

2 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Before the policy, there seemed to be a change in the atmosphere that the church was going to be more inclusive, but that changed.

If it did anything it drew a very clear line for the activists.  The Church will remain open to all, but there are boundaries that must be observed and/or respected.  It also provided an opportunity for activists to choose - they will either follow Christ or not.  Those involved have chosen while for the rest there was no choice.

12 minutes ago, rockpond said:

Lead singer of Neon Trees who has two Billboard Top 20 songs to his name.  How many do you have?

When you release a video announcing your upcoming song, does the news cover it?  Just wondering.

It's possible he doesn't actually know who it is.  I didn't till I read about him here on the last thread.  I knew some of the songs he had,  but couldn't have told you the name of the group and definitely not the names of the musicians. 

15 minutes ago, rockpond said:

Lead singer of Neon Trees who has two Billboard Top 20 songs to his name.  How many do you have?

When you release a video announcing your upcoming song, does the news cover it?  Just wondering.

Again who? Why should I care about a musician full of hate?

21 minutes ago, mtomm said:

Yes, why should you care. He's not your responsibility. I am not my brother's keeper. 

He isn't my responsibility. He isn't a member of my family. He isn't in my stewardship. He isn't even in my sphere of influence. There is absolutely nothing i can do about him. So how can he possibly be my responsibility?

25 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

Again who? Why should I care about a musician full of hate?

You don't need to care.

As a member of the church, you might want to care given that he was a faithful gay church member who felt betrayed by both the Nov policy and the false narrative he was raised with.  If nobody you are close to have been similarly affected, consider yourself fortunate.

4 hours ago, mtomm said:

Yes, why should you care. He's not your responsibility. I am not my brother's keeper. 

And your brother has his agency.  In his case he chose the wrong path.  Being our brother's keeper does not involve stopping his agency to sin

3 hours ago, rockpond said:

As a member of the church, you might want to care given that he was a faithful gay church member who felt betrayed by both the Nov policy and the false narrative he was raised with.  If nobody you are close to have been similarly affected, consider yourself fortunate.

See, the problem is in red, not blue.
We all get our feelings hurt sooner or later.  What we do when it inevitably happens is what makes the difference.

3 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

And your brother has his agency.  In his case he chose the wrong path.  Being our brother's keeper does not involve stopping his agency to sin

See, the problem is in red, not blue.
We all get our feelings hurt sooner or later.  What we do when it inevitably happens is what makes the difference.

All true.  Also true that you can ignore the ramifications of the rest of what I wrote.