Seriously No Politics ×

LDS Church welfare, humanitarian efforts avg $40m/yr

5 minutes ago, Mystery Meat said:

I am not sure, but I know it isn't the Corporation of the President.

4 minutes ago, Mystery Meat said:

Lots of small details which would make me question the veracity of the source.

So you can't tell me what is wrong and you can't provide any sources to show that I'm wrong.  Nice.  Well if you aren't going to retract your statements, I issue you a CFR on what I've got wrong (other than the error I already acknowledged).

I'll direct you to a couple sources that provide some support for my statements.  Much of what I've written is information I've picked up over the years reading articles on the church's development efforts which are fascinating to me since I am in that business.

http://en.fairmormon.org/Mormonism_and_church_finances/City_Creek_Center

http://en.fairmormon.org/Mormonism_and_church_integrity/City_Creek_Center_Mall_in_Salt_Lake_City

Note some of the links and comments by Bishop Burton.  He seems to make no delineation between the Church and its development arm.

Just a question...but I have read and heard that there is a lot of property owned by the church in Florida now.  Correct me if I am wrong.  Is this land for grazing,..farming or anything like that?  I wish for the members..as they are the contributors..for some transparency that is accurate.  Of course not many care and trust the church.  But it would make them feel a bit more part of the contribution itself.  In any case, all of us can do more.  I tend to take my old tithing dollars and give to PCMC..and local areas that are in need.  I should certainly should do more.

Edited by Jeanne
5 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

Just a question...but I have read and heard that there is a lot of property owned by the church in Florida now.  Correct me if I am wrong.  Is this land for grazing,..farming or anything like that?  I wish for the members..as they are the contributors..for some transparency that is accurate.  Of course not many care and trust the church.  But it would make them feel a bit more part of the contribution itself.  In any case, all of us can do more.  I tend to take my old tithing dollars and give to PCMC..and local areas that are in need.  I should certainly should do more.

Much of the Church's land in FL is agricultural but there have been some articles published regarding a large master-planned community being built over many decades on church owned land.

24 minutes ago, rockpond said:

So you can't tell me what is wrong and you can't provide any sources to show that I'm wrong.  Nice.  Well if you aren't going to retract your statements, I issue you a CFR on what I've got wrong (other than the error I already acknowledged).

I'll direct you to a couple sources that provide some support for my statements.  Much of what I've written is information I've picked up over the years reading articles on the church's development efforts which are fascinating to me since I am in that business.

http://en.fairmormon.org/Mormonism_and_church_finances/City_Creek_Center

http://en.fairmormon.org/Mormonism_and_church_integrity/City_Creek_Center_Mall_in_Salt_Lake_City

Note some of the links and comments by Bishop Burton.  He seems to make no delineation between the Church and its development arm.

I will retract if it will make you feel better.

14 minutes ago, rockpond said:

Much of the Church's land in FL is agricultural but there have been some articles published regarding a large master-planned community being built over many decades on church owned land.

Thanks for the info.  My daughter lived in Florida for a while (Orlando) and while I was there..I looked all over for an LDS ward..they were hard to find.  Of course, I saw the beautiful Orlando temple that was relatively new at the time.  Ummm..they have agricultural land..not a bad idea..but a planned community ..at least until I know more..might be better served in areas that really need help????  Thanks Rockpond.

10 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

Thanks for the info.  My daughter lived in Florida for a while (Orlando) and while I was there..I looked all over for an LDS ward..they were hard to find.  Of course, I saw the beautiful Orlando temple that was relatively new at the time.  Ummm..they have agricultural land..not a bad idea..but a planned community ..at least until I know more..might be better served in areas that really need help????  Thanks Rockpond.

Here's an article on the development... This is from March.  Not sure where things stand now.

http://floridapolitics.com/archives/205219-new-24000-acre-development-announced-mormon-lands-orange-osceola-counties

6 minutes ago, rockpond said:

You keep saying that and yet you won't identify WHAT is wrong or provide any sources to show that I am wrong.

Again, if the Church hasn't deemed it necessary to make the correct information public, I won't do it for them.

Edited by Mystery Meat
1 minute ago, Mystery Meat said:

If the Church hasn't deemed it necessary to make the correct information public, I won't do it for them.

The correct information is public.  I have cited it.  If you know otherwise, explain.  If not, you need to stop saying that I have it wrong.

Edited by rockpond