Seriously No Politics ×

Wants list of Bible translation changes

On 6/30/2016 at 6:55 PM, Christian Mormon said:

I would like to find a website that has a list of the changes in the Bible translations. I would like to compare the changes to the doctrine in the New Testament

Not sure what you are requesting here.  Are you referring to the thousands of editorial changes in the KJV since it first came out in 1611, or are you referring to the variant readings in the Hebrew and Greek texts of the Bible?  Or are you referring to the changes found in the JST from the standard 1828 KJV which Joseph and Sidney used?  Or are you referring to the vast differences in the various English translations of the Bible in modern times? 

Edited by Robert F. Smith
16 hours ago, Christian Mormon said:

I would like to find a website that has a list of the changes in the Bible translations. I would like to compare the changes to the doctrine in the New Testament

I would suggest you study the Greek manuscripts.  Its as close as you can get to the originals. 
Joseph Smith possibly saw the need to avoid another Kinderhook scandal, so the golden plates
were conveniently lost taken back to heaven.

Jim

Not to mention the fact the these fake plates were never translated. Why is it that you have a need to fabricate problems with the restored gospel? Does it eat away at you so much that the church is true but you do not want to be a part of it? 

Back to the original post, there are numerous sites that compare various english translations of the bible. 

http://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-versions/

On 6/30/2016 at 6:55 PM, Christian Mormon said:

You might try Bart Ehrman. His The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture is the more scholarly, in depth study. His Misquoting Jesus is the same topic directed to a more general audience.

On 6/30/2016 at 5:55 PM, Christian Mormon said:

Are you thinking of something like this?

http://www.biblestudytools.com/compare-translations/

Here's Genesis 1:1:

http://www.biblestudytools.com/genesis/1-1-compare.html

On 6/30/2016 at 5:55 PM, Christian Mormon said:

But if you're looking for the changes that were made chronologically through the centuries as the Bible was transmitted from copy to copy, I don't know how many different versions there are to compare.  And from what I understand, the "changes" aren't nearly as drastic or supportive of LDS doctrine as some LDS claims might lead you to believe.  And many of the "changes" were actually additions that are commonly accepted by LDS today.

Most changes are inconsequential, the result of mere copying errors, or the replacement of a less common word for a more common word.

But others are more important. They meant something.

For example, the famous tale in John’s Gospel in which Jesus challenges a mob about to stone a woman accused of adultery — “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her” — is a variant that copyists began inserting into John at least 300 years after that Gospel first appeared.

In the conclusion to Mark, the description of Jesus appearing to various disciples after his resurrection does not appear in the earliest manuscripts.

And in Luke, the crucified Jesus’ plea that his executioners be forgiven “for they know not what they are doing” likewise does not appear in the earliest versions of his Gospel.

What’s at work here, Warren said, is that even after the 4th century church definitively settled on the books it accepted as divinely inspired accounts of the Christian vision, some of the texts within those books were still subject to slight changes — and some had already seen changes since being first published.

http://www.nola.com/religion/index.ssf/2011/03/changes_to_the_bible_through_the_ages_are_being_studied_by_new_orleans_scholars.html

Edited by cinepro
8 hours ago, maklelan said:

Doctrine does not come from scriptures, it comes from the ongoing negotiation of the sacred past with the exigencies of the present. Scripture is just the authority upon which that doctrine is asserted. 

You reallyneed to post more. 

You have a very effective way of explaining things with touches of beauty.