Seriously No Politics ×

Youth Suicide Drives Down Utah's Child Health Ranking

From KUER:  Youth Suicide Drives Down Utah's Child Health Ranking

From the article:

“We’ve improved in some of the reasons why children die, but in terms of suicide rates, we’ve almost doubled since 2008. So that’s the big huge issue that we’re looking at,” Haven says. She says the reasons for this are many, but LGBT youth in particular are bombarded with harmful messages which she says can be compounded by social media. “It’s like a perfect storm for what’s happening to our fragile youth who are, you know, having some issues and they’re not getting the services they need to take care of it.”  

Interesting... almost doubled since 2008.  The year the church began its war against gay marriage.

43 minutes ago, rockpond said:

From the article:

Interesting... almost doubled since 2008.  The year the church began its war against gay marriage.

There was a war? The Church along with countless other Churches was defending traditional marriage, a cause that the majority of those who live in CA also endorsed. KUER, seems to suggest that every suicide is somehow linked (guilt by association) to youth being Gay. Suicide is, and has been an at epidemic levels among young people and rising long before Prop 8 and beyond. 

54 minutes ago, Pa Pa said:

There was a war? The Church along with countless other Churches was defending traditional marriage, a cause that the majority of those who live in CA also endorsed. KUER, seems to suggest that every suicide is somehow linked (guilt by association) to youth being Gay. Suicide is, and has been an at epidemic levels among young people and rising long before Prop 8 and beyond. 

Prop 8 did nothing to defend traditional marriage.

I am sure it had absolutely nothing to do with anything else except the Church's stand on what is and what is not sin.  Cannot imagine why it could be any number of things except this single influence; particularly for all of those suicides, the vast majority, that are not part of the LGBT community.  

Edited by Storm Rider

There were two recent suicides, one of them had a Mama Dragon for a mom, I believe. So even with all the love and acceptance, life may have become too much. I wonder if the church's policy has something to do with it, I don't know. But this 2008 date is an interesting correlation.

1 hour ago, rockpond said:

Prop 8 did nothing to defend traditional marriage.

Opposing Gay marriage is a defense of keeping marriage as "one woman, on man", and not redefining thradional marriage. You do not have to agree, but this is the case. Having been a part of many websites, we are one of the few faiths that has reached out in an effort to understand and seek to address those who struggle with Same Sex Attraction". This is why we are referred by many other sites as being pro-Gay. In fact (as demonstrated) here where it is openly discussed her with respect and a true desire for dialog...a condition that exists nowhere else. Sorry, but you are wrong. 

1 hour ago, Danzo said:

how many people who committed suicide were LGBT?

How many Ls?

How many Gs?

How Many Bs?

How many Ts?

No one knows and using the Church's position as the case for all is "Hyberbole". 

2 hours ago, rockpond said:

From the article:

For those of you who are actually interested in the problem, you can look at data on this site (the actual sources for the data used in the article)

http://datacenter.kidscount.org/data/tables/24-teen-deaths-by-accident-homicide-and-suicide?loc=46&loct=2#detailed/2/46/false/133,38,35,18,17/any/290,291

Location Data Type 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010
Utah Number 79 96 70 83 68
Rate per 100,000 39 46 33 38 31
Location Data Type 2011 2013 2014
Utah Number 72 70 106
Rate per 100,000 32 31 47

You can see that 2006 and 2007 were much higher that 2009-2010

2010 was lower than 2008 (when the churches efforts were well underway)

2011 and 2013 were still much lower than 2007. 

In 2014, the rate jumps a bit, but as you can see, it seems an aberration, rather than a trend.

Certainly, as far as the church was concerned, there was nothing in 2014 that was any different than 2013 when it comes to it policies.

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

There were two recent suicides, one of them had a Mama Dragon for a mom, I believe. So even with all the love and acceptance, life may have become too much. I wonder if the church's policy has something to do with it, I don't know. But this 2008 date is an interesting correlation.

What are the dates for the recent suicides you refer to?

24 minutes ago, Pa Pa said:

No one knows and using the Church's position as the case for all is "Hyberbole". 

Since L, G, B and T are different things, it would be useful to look at the breakdown to determine any trends.

I would hate to think that rockpond is making judgments without data.

Also, since he seems to be blaming church policies for suicides, it would be nice to know the religious affiliation of the people who killed themselves.  

I am told that, contrary to popular myth, not everyone in Utah is active LDS.

33 minutes ago, Danzo said:

Since L, G, B and T are different things, it would be useful to look at the breakdown to determine any trends.

I would hate to think that rockpond is making judgments without data.

Also, since he seems to be blaming church policies for suicides, it would be nice to know the religious affiliation of the people who killed themselves.  

I am told that, contrary to popular myth, not everyone in Utah is active LDS.

Agreed, but most (if not all, myself included) usually take the stance, "don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up". No one, not anyone can say we have never fallen trap to this idea, even if we do not realize it. :( 

2 hours ago, Danzo said:

I don't see anything specific in your link. Just a vague reference with presumptions.  Do you have anything more specific?

My friend for many years, commented on their father's FB, she knew him. ETA: It happened on June 29th. You can go to the Russon Brothers Mortuary and read about it there. 

Edited by Tacenda
1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

My friend for many years, commented on their father's FB, she knew him. ETA: It happened on June 29th. You can go to the Russon Brothers Mortuary and read about it there. 

Read the obituary for Stockton powers, sad to hear about it.  

11 hours ago, Danzo said:

Read the obituary for Stockton powers, sad to hear about it.  

This is what Natasha Helfer Parker, a pro-LGBTQ advocate, mentions on her FB just today:

"We are now at four, young, LDS, LGBTQ persons who have died by suicide since Sunday in Utah and one more who is not confirmed LDS or LGBT. If you have a loved one who is young and LGBT living in Utah or connected to social media groups where they might be hearing about these deaths, please reach out to them. Check in on how these news might be affecting them. Be direct in asking about their safety. Offer love and support. Share resources they can access 24/7. All of these things can be done without threatening any religious beliefs."

Me: My new neighbor down the road has a son that committed suicide this past week also, in the obituary, it just mentions his long battle with depression.  He was in his 30's and never married.  I don't know if he is one of these four, but it is getting really bad out there. It seems these men/young men had so much to live for and had great lives.

On 6/29/2016 at 2:41 PM, Pa Pa said:

Opposing Gay marriage is a defense of keeping marriage as "one woman, on man", and not redefining thradional marriage. You do not have to agree, but this is the case. Having been a part of many websites, we are one of the few faiths that has reached out in an effort to understand and seek to address those who struggle with Same Sex Attraction". This is why we are referred by many other sites as being pro-Gay. In fact (as demonstrated) here where it is openly discussed her with respect and a true desire for dialog...a condition that exists nowhere else. Sorry, but you are wrong. 

How does preventing gay couples from marrying help straight couples marry or strengthen their marriages?

On 6/29/2016 at 3:04 PM, Danzo said:

For those of you who are actually interested in the problem, you can look at data on this site (the actual sources for the data used in the article)

http://datacenter.kidscount.org/data/tables/24-teen-deaths-by-accident-homicide-and-suicide?loc=46&loct=2#detailed/2/46/false/133,38,35,18,17/any/290,291

Location Data Type 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010
Utah Number 79 96 70 83 68
Rate per 100,000 39 46 33 38 31
Location Data Type 2011 2013 2014
Utah Number 72 70 106
Rate per 100,000 32 31 47

You can see that 2006 and 2007 were much higher that 2009-2010

2010 was lower than 2008 (when the churches efforts were well underway)

2011 and 2013 were still much lower than 2007. 

In 2014, the rate jumps a bit, but as you can see, it seems an aberration, rather than a trend.

Certainly, as far as the church was concerned, there was nothing in 2014 that was any different than 2013 when it comes to it policies.

Yeah, I don't really see an increasing trend in that data.  I wonder what the numbers are for 2015 and 2016 YTD?  Are their conclusions derived from a continuation of what we see in 2014?