Seriously No Politics ×

Bishop Bans Electronic Devices

This past Sunday our Bishop announced that electronic devices such as phones and tablets would no longer be allowed in the chapel.  He said that these devices detract from the Spirit of Sunday meetings and that using these devices in the Chapel was disrespectful.  He also mentioned that this ban may be extended to all Sunday meetings, and not just those held in the chapel as he's received a number of complaints from teachers and others.

I don't know of another ward with this policy and other members of my Stake told me their bishops havent said anything about it so I don't this this is a Stake-wide thing.

Has anyone else seen this in their wards or stakes?  

I'm torn.  I love having my iPad with all of the scriptures and hymns in one place that is easy to search and mark up.  But I also see a a handful of ward members playing games and even watching videos so I understand what the bishop is trying to do.

Q

AFAIK, no gizmos during "the presentation of the sacrament" is the church's strong guidance on the matter.  Bishop is going beyond that, entirely possibly for good reasons.  Maybe he sees many members of his ward are out of control.

https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/ces-devotionals/2014/01/be-still-and-know-that-i-am-god?lang=eng

please, do not “scroll” during the presentation of the sacrament. Surely, during those few minutes you can focus on the Atonement of the Savior as you seek the Spirit of the Lord to bless you for the coming week. And consider putting your smartphone or your tablet in airplane mode for the entire Sunday block. You will still have your scriptures, general conference talks, hymnbook, and manuals, but you will not be distracted by incoming text messages or push notifications.

Wow! Honestly, I'm not sure how I would respond.  Part of me says I would continue to use mine and let the chips fall where they may.  The passive-aggressive side would want to bring in a copy of Harry Potter or something to read conscpicuously when he talks or meetings get boring.  But seriously, some  of my best gospel study happens during sacrament meeting talks when I can search and look up other connections when sparked by the speaker or topic.  It would really be a shame for to lose that.

23 minutes ago, 6EQUJ5 said:

This past Sunday our Bishop announced that electronic devices such as phones and tablets would no longer be allowed in the chapel.  He said that these devices detract from the Spirit of Sunday meetings and that using these devices in the Chapel was disrespectful.  He also mentioned that this ban may be extended to all Sunday meetings, and not just those held in the chapel as he's received a number of complaints from teachers and others.

I don't know of another ward with this policy and other members of my Stake told me their bishops havent said anything about it so I don't this this is a Stake-wide thing.

I'm torn.  I love having my iPad with all of the scriptures and hymns in one place that is easy to search and mark up.  But I also see a a handful of ward members playing games and even watching videos so I understand what the bishop is trying to do.

Q

In our ward the member of the bishopric who conducts Sacrament Meeting makes a specific request just prior to the administration of the Sacrament that everyone silence or turn off their electronic devices.  That's it.

I'm also curious as to how the bishop proposes to enforce this edict.  And what about visitors and new move-ins?

Thanks,

-Smac

27 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I think they should ban powerpoint presentations, how many have you been to in the Church that have ever worked?!

:)Or from the era of the old film projectors!

I will tell you what..I would thank this Bishop...just once in a day..any day...would I love to sit down and have someone communicate with me..say hello or something instead of texting or gabbing on the phone..  It has been a long time since I have seen a stranger's eyes..customers at work are ignoring their kids and husbands are getting their lists on the phone from the wife..I mean...it is crazy!!

1 hour ago, 6EQUJ5 said:

Q

It seems to me that in today's day and age this is a common courtesy.

In the church that I attend now, every week whoever is conducting the meeting asks everyone present to please turn off any electronic devices so that we may all enjoy the spirit of the gathering.

As a trainer my profession, I begin every training by asking all attendees to please turn off their cell phones and other electronic devices so as not to disrupt our learning together.

Heck, even movie theaters make a big deal about asking everyone to turn off their cell phones and electronic devices to allow everyone to enjoy the movie free from distractions.

Surely Latter-day Saints don't regard their worship of the divine as any less deserving of reverence, attention, or respect...?

if you have to be on your phone to get through a meeting, maybe you need to reevaluate your attendance…

Edited by Daniel2
34 minutes ago, Daniel2 said:

In the church that I attend now, every week whoever is conducting the meeting asks everyone present to please turn off any electronic devices so that we may all enjoy the spirit of the gathering.

As a trainer my profession, I begin every training by asking all attendees to please turn off their cell phones and other electronic devices so as not to disrupt our learning together.

Heck, even movie theaters make a big deal about asking everyone to turn off their cell phones and electronic devices to allow everyone to enjoy the movie free from distractions.

Do Latter-day Saints regard their worship of the divine as any less deserving of reverence, attention, or respect...?

if you have to be on your phone to get through a meeting, maybe you need to reevaluate your attendance…

My scriptures and lesson manuals, and hymnal are on my phone, so if I couldn't use my phone I can't use any of those either. 

I agree we shouldn't be on Facebook and the like, but somethings not bad just because its electronic. 

1 hour ago, 6EQUJ5 said:

Q

This is unfortunate.

Is he banning people from reading their scriptures in the chapel? Is he banning people from using the hymnbooks for singing? Is he banning people from using other books/resources to help keep children quiet (like the old fashioned quiet-books)?

Electronic devices are simply modern versions of these same things. If I were in that ward I would continue to use my ipad as I currently do, which is mainly using lds.org resources on the ap.

If the bishop would like to treat his congregation with the respect he's asking for, he could ask them to use their electronics respectfully. He could ask them not to play Candy Crush or Subway Jump during the sacrament so they can focus on the savior. But outright banning all electronic devices is a massive overreach and I wouldn't follow him on that.

I am torn.
I completely see both sides of this.

You can't legislate good behavior.  You have to as Joseph Smith put it "teach them correct principles and let them govern themselves".

The Bishop would have done much better perhaps to pound the pulpit a little concerning how inappropriate texting and social media are during Church meetings.
And then let people decide for themselves whether to do right or wrong.

But I have zero respect for anyone who would use an electronic device for anything other than scriptures during the sacrament.

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

I think they should ban powerpoint presentations, how many have you been to in the Church that have ever worked?!

Or even worse they did work and were awful. :( 

2 hours ago, 6EQUJ5 said:

Q

Wow, this is a tough one.  In the Bishopric before I served, one of the counselors would sit up on the stand and text members in the audience (usually cracking jokes and even sometimes poking fun at someone).  It was in such poor taste and you could see the other person with their phone out laughing (sitting in the audience).  It was usually one of his two best friends, so they weren't hard to spot.  Sometimes all three of them would be texting and smiling or laughing.  The stake president heard about it and came and spoke to our ward.  He very adamantly stressed "no texting during Sacrament Meeting!"  I'm sure he also talked to the offending counselor and it stopped.  But this was just one bad situation.

From what I've seen in our ward, it is mainly the youth we have a problem with (of course there are a few adults too).  When my two youngest got phones in high school, we wouldn't allow them to bring them to church. I could sees no reason for them to have them and I felt they could be without them for 3 hours .  My wife still leaves hers at home or in the car.  

The youth leaders in our ward do have a rule that no cellphones are out during opening exercises or class time.  The kids seem to go through withdrawals all over again each week :) 

But, the tablets are great for the scriptures (and hymns) and I can't see banning those.   I see very few adult members using their physical scriptures anymore.

I think your Bishop's new policy is too extreme (especially if he extends it to all Sunday meetings).  Has he tried anything else before completely banning all devices?

Edited by ALarson
1 hour ago, Jeanne said:

:)Or from the era of the old film projectors!

and it's all flippy!!! or those beeps in which you had to turn it to the next slide, " and now we see the Agra Vation beetle in it's natural habitat" BEEP, " "the male is having fun our on our expense, silly Agra Vation beetle" BEEP!

2 hours ago, Jeanne said:

I will tell you what..I would thank this Bishop...just once in a day..any day...would I love to sit down and have someone communicate with me..say hello or something instead of texting or gabbing on the phone..  It has been a long time since I have seen a stranger's eyes..customers at work are ignoring their kids and husbands are getting their lists on the phone from the wife..I mean...it is crazy!!

You're right Jeanne.  I heard on the radio today, that one reason we have the influx of the shootings, might be attributed to people not having actual interactions with human beings.  I wish I could remember all that they said, but something about being around people, speaking to them etc.  The guy speaking said when he took the train/bus to work he noticed a big difference than when he drove into work.  Because he had to interact with people.  He said it was a good thing.

I guess I need to do better and not look at my phone during Sacrament meeting.  I will definitely abstain from looking at it during the Sacrament, because I'm probably not reading the scriptures.  

2 hours ago, Daniel2 said:

Surely Latter-day Saints don't regard their worship of the divine as any less deserving of reverence, attention, or respect...?

I have a hard time listening to sacrament meeting talks because they're not very interactive. I've always had a hard time paying attention to something that I can't engage in because word instructions just don't cut it for me. There's been exceptions where a presenter/teacher/professor is engaging enough that I can listen to a lecture without needing to take notes. But that's the exception. So my phone is a way to "interact" per se with the talks. I'll look up the concept or GC talks they're covering, think about how they're taking it, or what I would say or think about whatever. Keeps me more in the meeting. Sacrament itself is never a problem because I'm very engaged with God at that moment and I'm good. 

So I have mixed feelings about the idea. I could see it as a great concept...I like that there's not cell phone allowance in the temple, for example...but in actuality I don't know if I'd be a personal fan. 

With luv,

BD

Edited by BlueDreams

So what if you are browsing through the hymns that teach about the atonement during the sacrament?   Banning devices flies directly in the face of the notion that we should use our devices in His service.   And it is controlling and force which we know is supposed to be persuasion and long-suffering.  

If devices were meant to be banned, churches wouldn't have Wi-Fi, lesson manuals wouldn't be strictly online (youth manuals), and videos wouldn't be included and encouraged to use in certain lessons to name just a few things.

I use my phone, as others have mentioned, for my scriptures, church magazines, and occasionally the hymnal. I used my iPad constantly when I was teaching the YW. My former Bishop actually stopped printing a program and it was either emailed to you the morning of or you could access it via lds.org (a decision I actually hated lol). 

As someone who is neck deep in technology and married to an IT manager, we we're both tire of people vilifying technology. I'm a stinker and I'd use my devices regardless because I think that's my decision to make, not the Bishop's.

Shoulda seen the flap & outcry when the bishop banned those new-fangled quill pens and papyrus and all kinds of parchment... this was back in 3904 BC.

But, people gradually came to realize this was actually a Good Thing and the bishop eventually died and was replaced by someone younger.

Just now, Woody said:

Shoulda seen the flap & outcry when the bishop banned those new-fangled quill pens and papyrus and all kinds of parchment... this was back in 3904 BC.

But, people gradually came to realize this was actually a Good Thing and the bishop eventually died and was replaced by someone younger.

yuppin yimminee! how old are you if you don't mind me asking?!

Edited by Duncan
1 hour ago, ladyshanae said:

I'm a stinker and I'd use my devices regardless because I think that's my decision to make, not the Bishop's.

So you wouldn't sustain the bishop?

I've always been taught that the bishop has stewardship and presides over Sunday meetings.  Especially sacrament meeting.  Not sure how I feel about ignoring his counsel.

12 minutes ago, 6EQUJ5 said:

So you wouldn't sustain the bishop?

I've always been taught that the bishop has stewardship and presides over Sunday meetings.  Especially sacrament meeting.  Not sure how I feel about ignoring his counsel.

I think if it were me, i would completely disagree with his decision, but still follow his counsel in sacrament meeting (not in the other meetings though).