Sign in to follow this  
Mystery Meat

Eat Meat Sparingly

As an attorney, I spend my day dealing with nuance and subjectivity. Perhaps, few words are more subjective in the commandments of God, then the word sparingly when it comes to the consumption of meat. I would be curious to know how each of you treat this part of the Word of Wisdom. It has been on my mind as of late and I feel like a change is in order in my life.

Note: this thread is not the place to discuss the Word of Wisdom as a commandment, the love of animals, or what science has to say about anything. If you can't stay on topic, you will be removed.

17 minutes ago, Mystery Meat said:

As an attorney, I spend my day dealing with nuance and subjectivity. Perhaps, few words are more subjective in the commandments of God, then the word sparingly when it comes to the consumption of meat. I would be curious to know how each of you treat this part of the Word of Wisdom. It has been on my mind as of late and I feel like a change is in order in my life.

Note: this thread is not the place to discuss the Word of Wisdom as a commandment, the love of animals, or what science has to say about anything. If you can't stay on topic, you will be removed.

Does his mean you'll be changing your screen name to "Spare Me?"

I've thought about this too -- I typically eat one portion of meat most days of the week. I burn a lot of calories/protein, so I could be considered to be in a virtual time of famine if it were not available.

6 minutes ago, TheSkepticChristian said:

Thanks for telling us that you are a moderator.

My thread, my rules.

I don't think I have been as observant of this part of the Word of Wisdom.  I have always interpreted sparingly to indicate seldom - unless it is a time of famine.  To me we should be mainly vegetarian in our eating habits, yet without being overly committed to the concept of being a vegetarian.  For example, we should eat meat sparingly not because meat is "bad", but because we should be committed to observing God's directions. 

I have eaten both breakfast and lunch today and neither meal had meat included.  That is a coincidence rather than out of a commitment to the Word of Wisdom.  I will typically eat at least one meat per day - more often it is two servings of meat.

Every Wednesday it's cheap whopper day at BK. I buy the meal deal thing, not every wednesday mind you that I buy it. Its the only meat I eat that day so to me it's eating meat sparingly that day at least. 

I don't think about it at all much. I eat some kind of meat every supper time, but usually not  the other meals.
I always thought the eat meat sparingly idea came from 19th century's inability to store meats properly during the hotter months of the year.

Edited by JAHS

Would we benefit from eating a less meat centered diet? Yes. Are we commanded to abstain from meat? No. So it is a balancing act.

4 hours ago, Mystery Meat said:

I would like to eat meat a little less but the problem is finding a good substitute.  Perhaps more brownies, cake, shakes, and Ding Dongs might be good but even then I don't want to get sick of that stuff.

3 hours ago, Mystery Meat said:

Over the years my regular everyday diet has gone from about 35% meat with most of my meals (some with even more meat and some with no meat) to about 25% meat with most of my meals and now I'm down to absolutely no meat in my regular everyday diet but with some meat occassionally like on holidays or special events or when I'm in a situation when no other foods are available.  And I usually avoid dairy products too now, and no eggs, and no added oils, and no highly processed stuff either like white flour or white sugar.

A much better way of eating that I can tell is helping me to feel a lot better and have more energy than I did before I started eating this way. 

There's a book and video called Forks over Knives that can tell you more than I would want to type out here.

Another part of the Word of Wisdom that some people overlook is where our Lord points out that he is pleased when we don't eat meat, except for situations when fresh veggies and grains and fruits are not available.  And since most of us Americans can get fresh or frozen-fresh veggies and fruits at grocery stores all year round now the famine/starvation provision fot meat isn't really necessary anymore.

Which is good,  because it's best for our bodies if we eat as little meat as we can.

2 hours ago, thesometimesaint said:

Would we benefit from eating a less meat centered diet? 

Put meat on the side of the dish and the mash potatoes at the center of the dish. 

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

Every Wednesday it's cheap whopper day at BK. I buy the meal deal thing, not every wednesday mind you that I buy it. Its the only meat I eat that day so to me it's eating meat sparingly that day at least. 

My reduction has been with the soda.  Get the whopper and fries and get a water with it.

4 hours ago, Mystery Meat said:

My thread, my rules.

Wait, so I can start a thread about only praising me and thread ban anyone who does anything else? Why has no one ever told me this?

12 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Wait, so I can start a thread about only praising me and thread ban anyone who does anything else? Why has no one ever told me this?

You sure can.

16 minutes ago, Mystery Meat said:

You sure can.

I just created a thread to test this theory.

6 hours ago, Mystery Meat said:

I'm a vegetarian so you can guess where my interpretation of eating sparingly goes ;) . But in truth I remember some of my investigators who would read the wWoW section and would get to the chunk about meat and make the basic logic jump of...oh...does that mean we should basically be vegetarian? I would normally point out that I was but my companion wasn't and that it's for us to decide what that means. And I still stick by it because I hate when other people feel it necessary to correct me or question my diet. it's also ironic because I usually am eating healthier and more diverse meals than they are. 

My personal interpretation is that a lot of us are missing tons of the principles in the WoW and not just the eat meat sparingly. I also think that eating meat sparingly is often derived from cultural contexts of normal meat consumption in the first place. So in Brazil eating meat sparingly would be once a day. In the u.s. Sparingly may be a couple times a week. It may vary based on wealth distribution and access to meat. In farmer/herding communities the times that they kill one of their animals for food would be pretty rare, focused on times of celebration/special occasions with community or specific seasons. Whereas a wealthy family may consider eating it more because they can afford to, Etc. finding a universal definition to it would be difficult. One could try by throwing in science to see how much begins to inch up certain diseases (cancer, cardiovascular, blood pressure, etc). But food sciences are often biases by who's funding and interpreting the data.

That said if you feel like it needs a change then it may need a change. At some point the spirit should/could be partner in our pursuit in this. 

Personally my food choices, minus initially becoming vegetarian, were gradual and based on what made me feel physically and spiritually good. I don't think I ever consciously meant to follow more strictly the WoW. It just naturally happened because I had to learn to eat differently and cook from a young age. Personally I treat is as private validation. I still have animal products (eggs/dairy) which to me is a form of "sparingly," I try to use them with thanksgiving, and with consciousness about the impact of my food choices and our call as stewards to this earth. The more I do so the healthier I feel and I definitely feel the promised blessings apply. 

With luv, 

bd

Edited by BlueDreams

6 hours ago, Mystery Meat said:

My thread, my rules.

As an attorney myself, can you point the enabling authority in the rules?

To answer your question.....one of the definitions of the word "sparingly" is to be frugal....or in a manner to conserve what is remaining.

Since I have a LOT of meat, I can eat a LOT and still conserve what is remaining.

If you truly wish, as an attorney, to ask a question about a point....define the key word.  Sparing can be used in more one way.

1 minute ago, CountryBoy said:

As an attorney myself, can you point the enabling authority in the rules?

Precedent. In the past, as the author of a thread, mods have always responded to my request to have people booted for diverging from the thread topic. I would also say, it seems to be the unwritten rule and others have enforced it as well.

2 minutes ago, Mystery Meat said:

Precedent. In the past, as the author of a thread, mods have always responded to my request to have people booted for diverging from the thread topic. I would also say, it seems to be the unwritten rule and others have enforced it as well.

ah...so you over spoke when you made a claim that indicated YOU controlled it.

I see.

As an attorney myself, I tend to be more honest when I post :)

19 minutes ago, BlueDreams said:

I don't think I ever consciously meant to follow more strictly the WoW. It just naturally happened because I had to learn to eat differently and cook from a young age. Personally I treat is as private validation.

My "conversion" to what is essentially a vegan diet happened in pretty much the same way.   It wasn't a conscious effort to try to be more valiant in following the WoW but because of health issues my wife got into with her diabetes and diabetes-related health problems.  Doctors were telling her that carbs were bad for her body so we were trying to eat mostly just protein... mainly meats...and some veggies.  Then we were told that it's the simple carbs that are bad for her and our bodies while complex carbs in whole foods... not highly processed... were not only good but what we should be eating, with some meat.  And then we were told about a book and video called Forks Over Knives which helped us to understand what meat does to our bodies.  And since then we have been eating vegan, mostly, with some occassional splurged to enjoy the taste of some meats.

The prophet Daniel told about how he preferred eating grains and veggies rather than what the kings he worked with ate.  And it wasn't just because hw was poor or unable to eat what those kings ate, either.  

7 hours ago, Mystery Meat said:

I don't see the nuance or subjectivity. Not only are we to eat meat sparingly, the next verse states "And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used,  only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine."

If you are confused about the comma followed by "only" here, I refer you to verse 5 where ", only" is used before an exception to the prohibition against wine drinking is given. If you think the comma shouldn't be there at all, I refer you to an excellent article in Interpreter by Jane Birch: http://www.mormoninterpreter.com/questioning-the-comma-in-verse-13-of-the-word-of-wisdom/

Sparingly is not a bad word..there is always "too much of a good thing" in my life so I should use sparingly in many areas.  I like fish..and have it often.  But when I want a burger..it is the #2 at Wendy's or the #2 at Carl Juniors.  I am not an attorney..so maybe my post doesn't mean diddley squat!:D

1 minute ago, Jeanne said:

Sparingly is not a bad word..there is always "too much of a good thing" in my life so I should use sparingly in many areas.  I like fish..and have it often.  But when I want a burger..it is the #2 at Wendy's or the #2 at Carl Juniors.  I am not an attorney..so maybe my post doesn't mean diddley squat!:D

Diddly squat is a legal term...so you are doing well.....:)

I try and balance D&C 89 with D&C 49, where we learn this:

18 And whoso forbiddeth to abstain from meats, that man should not eat the same, is not ordained of God;

19 For, behold, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and that which cometh of the earth, is ordained for the use of man for food and for raiment, and that he might have in abundance.

20 But it is not given that one man should possess that which is above another, wherefore the world lieth in sin.

21 And wo be unto man that sheddeth blood or that wasteth flesh and hath no need.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/49?lang=eng