Seriously No Politics ×

I think one of the tools that devil and his allies use in the minds of otherwise well-meaning folks is sensationalism. I think sensationalism is used to sound unnecessary alarm with things that are correctly identified as evil. However, sometimes the alarm is being sounding for facets, or claimed consequences, of a given evil thing that are not nearly as damaging or are so rare/absurd as to distract from the more subtle and pernicious evil. I think this has been the case with erasing gender with transgender bathrooms and destroying the family with same sex marriage. This is being done quietly, while people cry and scream about pedophiles and perverts, thus distracting from the real evils.

2 minutes ago, Mystery Meat said:

I think one of the tools that devil and his allies use in the minds of otherwise well-meaning folks is sensationalism. I think sensationalism is used to sound unnecessary alarm with things that are correctly identified as evil. However, sometimes the alarm is being sounding for facets, or claimed consequences, of a given evil thing that are not nearly as damaging or are so rare/absurd as to distract from the more subtle and pernicious evil. I think this has been the case with erasing gender with transgender bathrooms and destroying the family with same sex marriage. This is being done quietly, while people cry and scream about pedophiles and perverts, thus distracting from the real evils.

Wow, I almost agreed with this post until I read it more carefully.  

Just now, Tacenda said:

Wow, I almost agreed with this post until I read it more carefully.  

I did, too. It's apparently sensationalism to to about perverts and pedophiles, but not to say that same-sex marriage is destroying the family or that transgender bathrooms are erasing gender. 

I figured this post would find little support, because yes I do believe that SSM is evil and founded in the devil and his lies and that advocates for transgender ideology are trying to destroy the importance of gender, a fundamental part of our eternal identity. But I also think some common cries are worthless and off putting.

Just now, Mystery Meat said:

I figured this post would find little support, because yes I do believe that SSM is evil and founded in the devil and his lies and that advocates for transgender ideology are trying to destroy the importance of gender, a fundamental part of our eternal identity. But I also think some common cries are worthless and off putting.

That's your prerogative, but some of us disagree. 

31 minutes ago, Mystery Meat said:

Pedophiles aren't real evils? 

Well, color me amazed at the lack of reasoning.  It's like a complete flip from what I see as reasonable.  Transgender bathrooms don't seem to have anything to do with evil to me, yet somehow that issue is a real evil yet pedophiles are not nearly as damaging or as so rare/absurd distracting from the real problem of people going potty.   

Edited by stemelbow
28 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

I'm having a hard time following what you're trying to say. Could you clarify?

If I'm misreading this part of your post, please let me know.

I have one question- How has SSM destroyed your family?

Fortunately, my family remains untouched, thus far. But it is destroying the family, by creating an impostor family unit or counterfeit family unit that is contrary to the laws of God. In a family with parents of the same gender, there is no continuation in the next life and will be forceably broken as such are not divinely sanctioned. The more people who believe such marriages are okay, the more harm that can potentially be done to the families of our society, not just here, but in the eternities.

41 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

Pedophiles aren't real evils? 

Well, color me amazed at the lack of reasoning.  It's like a complete flip from what I see as reasonable.  Transgender bathrooms don't seem to have anything to do with evil to me, yet somehow that issue is a real evil yet pedophiles are not nearly as damaging or as so rare/absurd distracting from the real problem of people going potty.   

Pedophilia is an evil. I am not saying otherwise. I am saying that arguing that gay folks are just out to groom young boys is an exaggeration and does a disservice as it does not focus on the real, but much more subtle, evil of same sex relationships/marriage.

2 minutes ago, Mystery Meat said:

Pedophilia is an evil. I am not saying otherwise. I am saying that arguing that gay folks are just out to groom young boys is an exaggeration and does a disservice as it does not focus on the real, but much more subtle, evil of same sex relationships/marriage.

Well, I'm apparently not following.  But I feel it safe to conclude I disagree with you.  I don't see where people go potty as an issue dealing with what is evil.  And I don't see how SSM destroys families.  Families are destroyed by abuse, or members voluntarily leaving and breaking up family units, not by families being formed. 

4 minutes ago, Rock_N_Roll said:

My family has been "touched" by SSM.  My brother-in-law is married to another man.  So far my family has not been destroyed.  In fact we remain as strong and loving a family as ever.  Go figure. 

I disagree. You apparently believe that that is okay and good. Such an attitude will only weaken your family and your brothers because they feel justified in continuing in sin and/or justifying others sin.

9 minutes ago, Mystery Meat said:

Fortunately, my family remains untouched, thus far. But it is destroying the family, by creating an impostor family unit or counterfeit family unit that is contrary to the laws of God. In a family with parents of the same gender, there is no continuation in the next life and will be forceably broken as such are not divinely sanctioned. The more people who believe such marriages are okay, the more harm that can potentially be done to the families of our society, not just here, but in the eternities.

Given societies high divorce rate, and given the low percentage of those who identify, which is a bigger threat to eternal families? In a family with parents that divorce, "there is no continuation in the next life" and the kids sealing to their divorced parents must be forceably broken no? Given the widespread acceptance of divorce even among members of the church, shouldn't we be putting our efforts there instead?

Just now, SeekingUnderstanding said:

Given societies high divorce rate, and given the low percentage of those who identify, which is a bigger threat to eternal families? In a family with parents that divorce, "there is no continuation in the next life" and the kids sealing to their divorced parents must be forceably broken no? Given the widespread acceptance of divorce even among members of the church, shouldn't we be putting our efforts there instead?

Fortunately, we are not limited in condemning only one evil that is attacking families. The Church has long spoken against all sorts of evils that will/are destroy(ing) families. SSM is just the latest and more controversial, so it seems to take all the glory.

3 minutes ago, Mystery Meat said:

I disagree. You apparently believe that that is okay and good. Such an attitude will only weaken your family and your brothers because they feel justified in continuing in sin and/or justifying others sin.

Ya, um.  Agree to disagree on that one. 

8 minutes ago, Mystery Meat said:

COnfused about how you disagree regarding the strength of his family.  Do you know him and his family? 

Just now, Mystery Meat said:

Living prophets (not to mention past prophets) have declare homosexuality and SSM a sin. Were they also being audacious?

When you are one of them (i.e. a 'living prophet'), then we'll talk.  In the meantime, you have no direct knowledge of the poster's family, you have no connection to the poster's family, and you have no authority over the poster's family.  Making the statement that you did, is audacious, whether you believe you are emulating living and/or past prophets or not.

Just now, ttribe said:

When you are one of them (i.e. a 'living prophet'), then we'll talk.  In the meantime, you have no direct knowledge of the poster's family, you have no connection to the poster's family, and you have no authority over the poster's family.  Making the statement that you did, is audacious, whether you believe you are emulating living and/or past prophets or not.

I do not claim to be a living prophet, but I do know what they have taught and are teaching on the matter. I do not have to know every person who sins, no matter the variety, to know that the sin is wrong. I don't need to know the justification for it nor the reasoning behind it. Sin is evil, always, because it separates us from God. SSM is sin and sin never inspires or makes us better. So while I too would love my family, even if some were in SSM (some are or soon will be), I would not condone it and would never call it good, because to do so would fly in the face of eternal law and would only weaken my family's commitment to true principals.

I do not claim to be a living prophet, but I do know what they have taught and are teaching on the matter. I do not have to know every person who sins, no matter the variety, to know that the sin is wrong. I don't need to know the justification for it nor the reasoning behind it. Sin is evil, always, because it separates us from God. SSM is sin and sin never inspires or makes us better. So while I too would love my family, even if some were in SSM (some are or soon will be), I would not condone it and would never call it good, because to do so would fly in the face of eternal law and would only weaken my family's commitment to true principals.

That's fine for you.  IMO, it's not okay to say that to a stranger.

I think the issue is coming down to your dismissal of his comments.  He suggested his family is strong and loving.  SOmehow you felt the need to disagree with that.  I think that's what is being called audacious.  YOu have no idea and seem to have no grounds to judge.

1 hour ago, Mystery Meat said:

If these gay marriages never took place, they still wouldn't propagate, so what's the difference?  Are you saying there are many closeted married gays to heterosexual partners?  And now the door has been opened for them to live authentically?  If that is your point, I guess I can see your point.  But if children aren't produced by physical sex, maybe there is hope for a gay couple to raise children or produce children into the eternities.