Seriously No Politics ×

Sister missionaries can now wear pants

JAHS

"In the 230 missions, or roughly half of the Church's missions, where there is significant risk of mosquito-borne diseases, missionaries are strongly encouraged to wear clothing that covers exposed skin, especially arms and legs. Sister missionaries serving in the affected missions are encouraged to wear full-length dress slacks during proselyting activities."

Missionary Dress Guidelines Revised to Help Prevent Mosquito-Borne Diseases

1 hour ago, JAHS said:

"In the 230 missions, or roughly half of the Church's missions, where there is significant risk of mosquito-borne diseases, missionaries are strongly encouraged to wear clothing that covers exposed skin, especially arms and legs. Sister missionaries serving in the affected missions are encouraged to wear full-length dress slacks during proselyting activities."

I live in Georgia, and that is how we deal with those flying demons from Hell called "Mosquitos". Did me make the list. :( 

2 hours ago, Pa Pa said:

I live in Georgia, and that is how we deal with those flying demons from Hell called "Mosquitos". Did me make the list. :( 

Mostly missions in parts of Africa, Asia, Caribbean, Central America, Europe, Mexico, Pacific, Philippines and South America.

4 hours ago, JAHS said:

Maybe they could go back to the original garment.

11 hours ago, Calm said:

Hopefully they will be able to do so in colder areas as well.

And in areas where they have to bike. 

I predict that when the world doesn't cave in because sister missionaries are in pants, this will gradually be extended to to the general sister missionary population. 

Edited by Ginger Snaps
9 hours ago, The Nehor said:

When I was out my Mission President reported that the sisters were going to possibly have to switch to pants entirely due to some sisters unwise choices in clothing.

So are we going from it being a punishment to a good thing? ;) 

I think the church will one day give the sister missionaries both options, or not.  But I can't imagine the wrangling they've had to deal with on bikes, it's probably dangerous.  Or like someone mentioned here or another board, when the dresses fly up in a wind or something.  Just the pain it is to be conservative, and something happens like a fall or something.  But one thing for sure is that they have long underwear or modest underwear, so that helps.  

I'd never thought about the mosquito situation before, poor ladies.  Maybe it wasn't a problem when nylon's were the rule.  

3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

But I can't imagine the wrangling they've had to deal with on bikes, it's probably dangerous.

I would think the long dresses might get caught in the gears or spokes of the bike. When I rode a bike on my mission we had clips that we used to keep the pant cuffs tight around our ankles so they didn't get eaten up by the chain and gears. 

If the women wear pants they would also need something for that.

clips.jpg

Edited by JAHS
On 5/21/2016 at 10:36 PM, Calm said:

Hopefully they will be able to do so in colder areas as well.

Me too.  This is a great idea.  Does anyone think that for Sister Missionaries, wearing nice slacks will cost less in cleaning, repair and pantyhose! You can look nice and be comfortable at the same time.

"They will continue to wear skirts or dresses when attending the temple and during Sunday worship services, conferences and baptismal services."

Good thing to know that mosquitoes don't bite when you're at church.

On May 23, 2016 at 9:43 AM, Tacenda said:

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/alarming-facts-about-the-zika-virus/20/?ftag=ACQ449302a&vndid=1848245850&ttag=cbsn-fb-1124&nan_pid=1848245850

This is a scary thing, I guess even Florida have some cases in several counties.  Glad the missionaries are told to wear pants, I shouldn't be so nonchalant about the darn mosquitoes in my neck of the woods now.  

If mosquitos have spirits and will be ressurrected I can only assume that their heaven is combined with our Outer Darkness.

• 2 weeks later...