Sign in to follow this  
Bernard Gui

Scientific proof for Ether 15:2

On another thread, a poster questioned whether or not science can verify Ether 15:2.

He saw that there had been slain by the sword already nearly two millions of his people, and he began to sorrow in his heart; yea, there had been slain two millions of mighty men, and also their wives and their children.

I'm open to any comments on how this could be done. I suppose it involves evidence of 2 million dead bodies from a cataclysmic battle.

Edited by Bernard Gui

Yes and No. 

Apologists can find creative answers, like saying that it is an ancient exaggeration, so that means the Bible and the Book of Mormon is not falsifiable.

However, science can verify that there is no evidence of such battle (2 million dead) in ancient pre-classic Mesoamerica.  

4 minutes ago, TheSkepticChristian said:

Yes and No. 

Apologists can find creative answers, like saying that it is an ancient exaggeration, so that means the Bible and the Book of Mormon is not falsifiable.

However, science can verify that there is no evidence of such battle (2 million dead) in ancient pre-classic Mesoamerica.  

There is also no evidence that such a battle did not take, or could not, take place.

2 hours ago, ksfisher said:

There is also no evidence that such a battle did not take, or could not, take place.

The burden of proof falls on you, show me evidence that 2 million is at least plausible. 

Bytheway, one of the best Book of Mormon defenders, Stephen Smoot, said "Book of Mormon's Battle Numbers Don't Add Up" He then thinks speculation is evidence.

It is true that the ancients did exaggerate, but there is no evidence that 2 million was meant as an exaggeration. Perhaps it was direct revelation? 

but when Book of Mormon says barley, it is truly barley. 

Edited by TheSkepticChristian

34 minutes ago, TheSkepticChristian said:

The burden of proof falls on you, show me evidence that 2 million is at least plausible. 

Bytheway, one of the best Book of Mormon defenders, Stephen Smoot, said "Book of Mormon's Battle Numbers Don't Add Up

I would agree that the numbers are improbable.  However, improbability does not equal impossibility. 

Edited by ksfisher

1 hour ago, TheSkepticChristian said:

but when Book of Mormon says barley, it is truly barley. 

You kiss yer mom with that there mocking mouth, TSC?

Besides, your sneer notwithstanding, barley was not unknown in preColumbian times:  http://mormonchallenges.org/book-of-mormon-5-barley-and-wheat/

1 hour ago, Bernard Gui said:

On another thread, a poster questioned whether or not science can verify Ether 15:2.

I'm open to any comments on how this could be done. I suppose it involves evidence of 2 million dead bodies from a cataclysmic battle.

Why is that even an important question? 

1 hour ago, Bernard Gui said:

Many misread this portion of Ether.  If you read closely, you will see that those two million people were killed over a period of time in which there were 5 kings against whom Coriantumr fought.  And in that window of time, there are two 2-year periods described as well.

The kings against whom Coriantumr fought after Ether told Coriantumr that he would live to see the destruction of his household (Ether 13:20-21):

1.  Shared

2.  Brother Shared (Gilead)

3.  Gilead's High Priest (who murdered Gilead as he "sat upon his throne").

4. Secret combination who killed Gilead's High Priest in a "secret pass" (Lib).

5.  Shiz (Lib's brother).

So two million people died in warfare over a period of many years (The critics never understand this text or represent this correctly).

Can anybody provide examples of other locations where fields of bones have been found from battles or wars that took place in the same time period (2nd and 3rd centuries BC)?

In fact, the text of the Book of Mormon describes these bodies being left upon the ground to rot.  Anybody familiar with how long it takes for a body to completely decompose (including bones) when left on the ground?  Anybody familiar with how the conditions in Mesoamerica influence the length of time required for a body to decompose.

Suffice it to say, this is a criticism that is uninformed on many levels.

A body left on the ground will be completely decomposed (including bones) within a few years.  Heat and moisture speed up the process.  

2 hours ago, TheSkepticChristian said:

No one owes you anything particularly with how badly you mangled the scripture and asked for evidence for something the scripture does not even support. Stop being a doofus.

2 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

First, we've got to work on actual guitars.  Second  ...  well, it involves a phone booth: 

4 hours ago, USU78 said:

Besides, your sneer notwithstanding, barley was not unknown in preColumbian times:  http://mormonchallenges.org/book-of-mormon-5-barley-and-wheat/

but because it was found now you can say that Book of Mormon barley is truly barley. 

Bytheway, there is no evidence of barley in ancient Mesoamerica. 

3 hours ago, The Nehor said:

No one owes you anything particularly with how badly you mangled the scripture and asked for evidence for something the scripture does not even support. Stop being a doofus.

What? I was simply saying that the Book of Mormon is not falsifiable. It is Bernard Gui that is asking for proof. Please read what I am saying before attacking me like that. 

So, do you believe it was literally 2 million? or an exaggeration? 

5 hours ago, ksfisher said:

I would agree that the numbers are improbable.  However, improbability does not equal impossibility. 

I agree, but it is not useful, we can't be 100% sure of anything. 

3 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

That is indeed a large number before the industrialization of warfare. However in the closing years of the people found in the Book of Ether, the Nephites and Lamanites warfare became so intense that at the end of each day's war, they slept upon their swords and warfare went on and on. But even in Joseph's day, if he were drawing upon early (his) history, he would be drawing on pre-industrial war. 

5 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

Ether 15 makes several things clear, in addition to a very large population -- the Jaredites have writing (15:4-5), and they use some sort of shields, breastplates, head-plates, and swords (15:15,24,30).  These events take place in the vicinity of the Waters of Ripliancum (15:8) and the Hill Ramah (15:11 = Hill Cumorah), all in the Land Northward, which later becomes known as the Land of Desolation.

Does anyplace in the Western Hemisphere fit that description?  Yes, Mexico just north of the Isthmus of Tehuantepec.  Olmec country.

Do we know of a battlefield in that area where such large numbers perished?  No, but then we hardly expect such a site to be preserved for thousands of years, unless some warriors died and sank into a bog or marshy area which preserved them, their weapons, and DNA.  As for a battle site found recently in Europe -- http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/03/slaughter-bridge-uncovering-colossal-bronze-age-battle ..  Such sites are very unusual.

Odds are it probably wasn't exactly 2 million. I would think that was an estimate. It may have only been 1,999,996. :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Do we know of a battlefield in that area where such large numbers perished?  No, but then we hardly expect such a site to be preserved for thousands of yearsvery unusual.

even Brant Gardner says 2 million is an exaggeration.

9 hours ago, ksfisher said:

U.S. dead in all of WW2 totaled just under 418,000.  That is a mechanized country fighting other mechanized countries with tanks, bombers, napalm, machine guns, and ships.  Two million did not die in some supposed ancient war using primitive weapons. The logistics of supplying armies that large would require a massive infrastructure. There would be physical evidence of something of this magnitude.  There would oral and written records passed down.  This plus the Jadeite barge story really show that someone had a good imagination.

18 hours ago, TheSkepticChristian said:

Yes and No. 

You need to be more precise. It isn't apologists, it is historians. You are suggesting that Thucydides couldn't have written history because we know that he intentionally enlarged the numbers of Persians. That certainly suggests that the number was suspect, but says nothing about the actual event. On point 1, it has nothing to do with apologists inventing anything. It is historians dealing with the nature of historical documents.

On the second point, you are correct that no battle that large has been found. Of course, the "that large" hinges on the prior error, but the missing evidence of battles remains. On that point you should consult the archaeologists as well as historians. There are some very large Aztec battles recorded in history for which we have no archaeological evidence. The missing evidence you suggest is a problem is endemic in the area and creates an issue for cultures much later than that in Ether. We don't have all that many bones of the people who lived in an area, let alone in battlefields that were likely not in the cities where the excavations are happening.

9 hours ago, TheSkepticChristian said:

even Brant Gardner says 2 million is an exaggeration.

Right. And why? First is the problem of counts and estimates in antiquity. People rarely counted that high, it would be rare to walk through a battlefield counting bodies, and the science of estimates awaited a thousand years or so to be invented. Numbers in the Book of Mormon do not "behave" like counts--particularly in the larger numbers. Combining what is known of how historical peoples used numbers, and particularly looking at the way numbers are used in the Book of Mormon, these large battle numbers should not be taken at face value.

5 minutes ago, Brant Gardner said:

You need to be more precise. It isn't apologists, it is historians. You are suggesting that Thucydides couldn't have written history because we know that he intentionally enlarged the numbers of Persians. That certainly suggests that the number was suspect, but says nothing about the actual event. On point 1, it has nothing to do with apologists inventing anything. It is historians dealing with the nature of historical documents.

On the second point, you are correct that no battle that large has been found. Of course, the "that large" hinges on the prior error, but the missing evidence of battles remains. On that point you should consult the archaeologists as well as historians. There are some very large Aztec battles recorded in history for which we have no archaeological evidence. The missing evidence you suggest is a problem is endemic in the area and creates an issue for cultures much later than that in Ether. We don't have all that many bones of the people who lived in an area, let alone in battlefields that were likely not in the cities where the excavations are happening.

I'm hearing you say that Science does not prove the book of Ether. There is no archaeological evidence for such a large battle. As you state, this is very understandable. "Proof" of historicity doesn't exist but missing evidence doesn't prove it didn't happen either.

21 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

I'm hearing you say that Science does not prove the book of Ether. There is no archaeological evidence for such a large battle. As you state, this is very understandable. "Proof" of historicity doesn't exist but missing evidence doesn't prove it didn't happen either.

A large part of apologetics seems to be coming up with explanations for how the lack of evidence for the Book of Mormon does not prove it ahistorical.

The book of mormon and Bible will always be possible, even though they are highly improbable as historical documents. Ether 12, the Exodus, God commanding Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac, and the garden of eden are examples of the improbable. It seems that Joseph Smith and his Biblical counterparts had good imaginations. 

52 minutes ago, consiglieri said:

A large part of apologetics seems to be coming up with explanations for how the lack of evidence for the Book of Mormon does not prove it ahistorical.

True. It's hard to prove a negative.

Also, science can neither prove that Yoda existed, or that he didn't, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away.

So those who want to believe, can.

Edited by HappyJackWagon

31 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

True. It's hard to prove a negative.

Also, science can neither prove that Yoda existed, or that he didn't, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away.

So those who want to believe, can.

So, is wanting to believe what it comes down to?  If so, shouldn't the missionary work be radically changed and/or toned down?

8 minutes ago, James Tunney said:

So, is wanting to believe what it comes down to?  If so, shouldn't the missionary work be radically changed and/or toned down?

I don't know that the two are connected but sure, I'll bite. Missionary work should be radically changed and toned down.