Seriously No Politics ×

Missionaries can now wear sun glasses

JAHS

This just in!!! 

Missionaries can now wear sunglasses and wide brimmed hats!   8)  :hi:

Updated LDS missionary dress and grooming guidelines allow for sunglasses

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has made updates to its dress and grooming guidelines for missionaries.

The updates include permission for missionaries to wear “simple and conservative sunglasses” and approved wide-brimmed hats while proselyting. These changes have been made to “provide protection from the sun,” according to lds.org.

More information about the dress and grooming guidelines can be found at missionary.lds.org/clothing."

I know I have already seen missionaries wearing sunglasses before this policy.

Edited by JAHS
4 minutes ago, JAHS said:

This just in!!! 

Missionaries can now wear sunglasses and wide brimmed hats!

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has made updates to its dress and grooming guidelines for missionaries.

The updates include permission for missionaries to wear “simple and conservative sunglasses” and approved wide-brimmed hats while proselyting. These changes have been made to “provide protection from the sun,” according to lds.org.

More information about the dress and grooming guidelines can be found at missionary.lds.org/clothing."

Please..why, wasn't this okay before.  For safety reasons alone this is way behind the times!

I served in 1998 and sunglasses were completely ok in our mission (though we didn't talk to people with them on because it's annoying).  It probably wasn't added to the list until now because some believe that sunglasses are too casual.

12 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

Does anybody think that telling young men what kind of sunglasses to wear is a bit micro managing?? 

I think the issue has to do with eye-contact. In my eight years in the Army, those of us in Avation wore them all the time. We had blast shields on our fight helmets with dark shields and light. Once in fight or on the flight line we wore aviator sunglasses. In short because we go away with it, we often tried to carry on conversations with others including ranking officers, who would get angry because they could not tell if we were making proper eye contact. The same will happen if these missionaries do not take of their sunglasses at people's doors. No one what's to hear any message from someone they cannot look in the eye. As far as the hats...go figure? 

43 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

Does anybody think that telling young men what kind of sunglasses to wear is a bit micro managing?? 

But what if they chose to wear these?                       8)  :hi:

glasses.jpg

Edited by JAHS
1 hour ago, JAHS said:

All of us need protection from ultra-violet radiation damage to our eyes, which can result in early cataracts.  This should always have been required when out in the sun for long periods.

1 hour ago, Jeanne said:

:PI am hoping common sense would rule the day.

The sisters might be able to pull that off, or Elders serving in New Orlens once a year. 

16 hours ago, Jeanne said:

No, there are enough crazy versions of sunglasses that a simple disclaimer that not all are okay is warranted. Elders and sisters of that age can show incredibly bad judgement.

This is a minor change. It used to be entirely at the Mission President's discretion. Now it is generally the rule and Mission Presidents can make exceptions. For example in my mission in England you saw the sun so rarely sunglasses would be a ridiculous thing to insist on wearing for practical reasons.

These are what I would wear (if my prescription lenses didn't interfere):

Ray-Ban-2030-Predator-big.jpg?itok=Ps2yF

Men in Black Ray-Ban 2300 Predator glasses, as worn by Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones)

Edited by Stargazer
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, theplains said:

I wonder how they feel if some missionaries withhold their first name.

Jim

Withoid something from some , this is about reward. 

On 5/18/2016 at 6:01 PM, Jeanne said:

Please..why, wasn't this okay before.  For safety reasons alone this is way behind the times!

Yes, absolutely. I wish this had been implemented when I was a missionary. I'm always worried about skin cancer. 

On Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 6:31 PM, Stargazer said:

These are what I would wear (if my prescription lenses didn't interfere):

Ray-Ban-2030-Predator-big.jpg?itok=Ps2yF

Men in Black Ray-Ban 2300 Predator glasses, as worn by Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones)

I wear Gucci. It is a found pair and I could not locate the owner, lucky me! They are kind of embarrassing, though, I'd never actually spend enough to buy them :P

• 1 year later...
On 5/18/2016 at 4:56 PM, JAHS said:

This just in!!! 

Missionaries can now wear sunglasses and wide brimmed hats!   8)  :hi:

Back in the day (before my time) some missions required Elders to wear hats. At least that is what I gathered from hearing RM conversations at church when I was a kid.  Apparently in the 50's and 60's a hat was considered part of the conservative dress for men.  I am assuming the hats were the fedora style.

As for sunglasses, I wore them on my mission when I drove.  I don't remember any rules about there use.

Edited by sunstoned