Seriously No Politics ×

Mom of Tyler Glenn Speaks Re: Her Son's Sacrilegious Music Video

As a mother myself, I can only imagine how painful this is for her.  To watch your son express such deep, heart wrenching pain must be horrible.  We are so protective of our children.  I love how even though she didn't like his video, she continues to support him and wants him know of her love as his mother and that she "stands with him".  

2 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

No, you don't ever come off that way to me or others that I've seen.  I actually didn't see a problem with my usage of words until the middle of my answer which was going to be completely the opposite of what it ended up being.  I finally got it.  The problem was my usage of 'would' vs. 'could'.  Thanks Hal, keep me straight anytime!

In that case, I completely agree. Anyone could potentially take that and be hurt, and many have, especially those in that particular situation.

2 hours ago, stemelbow said:

That's what she said.  "Even I, his mother, did not know of his true inner turmoil, distress and great personal pain."  I can't really assume something different if that's what she indicated. 

I missed that. I'm also caught up in my own family situation so I viewed it looking through those lenses.  Sorry about that. 

Well sure it's good for Tyler that his mother still loves and supports him. This love may well be the only thing that stands between him and insanity. The video footage out there is disturbing (including the clips from earlier in this thread) though and I wouldn't want this thread to descend into a cult of personality where we enable his angst by giving him a pass at virtually any form of musical expression. Mr. Glenn is just like numerous other good upstanding LGBT Mormons who have likewise been hurt. They, however, don't enjoy a bully pulpit where they can peddle their "frustration art" for the world to see as long as people are willing to pay. :( The others don't have a vehicle to express themselves in this way but suffer NO LESS than him. They instead mourn silently and confide in only those who they trust. But they would never dream of mocking their former religion in this way knowing full well it would also hurt the ones they love. This does not appear to inhibit Mr. Tyler, however. He mocks the religion that still stands sacred for countless fans many of whom I'm sure are LDS. He propagates this to an ill-informed non-LDS crowd who couldn't care a wit for the LDS church. His message recklessly inflames these ignorant sentiments. Be careful Mr. Glenn not to brand yourself in this way as there may come a day when indeed all you have left is your mother's devotion. Don't waste your artistic talent.

Edited by Vanguard
1 hour ago, Sky said:

I empathize with Tyler's situation, as I am also a gay Mormon.  I wished he would have gone about it differently, though.  Then again, he's probably just doing what he feels like he has to do in order to get the attention of the members' about the plight of gay Mormons.  I know what it feels like to have that feel like it's falling on deaf ears.      

Children throw tantrums and that works sometimes to get attention.  Adults do other things.  I reject his behavior as I do with any child that throws a tantrum.  

Deaf ears?  Share with us what you think the Church should do while honoring the assumption that there is a clear doctrine of what is and what is not sin and acceptable behavior.  How would it look to you to be acceptable?

2 hours ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

I refuse to even watch the video. I always thought Neon Trees sucked at music anyway.

I'm not familiar with their music, but if they've enjoyed any success, my impression is that they must have benefited from being greater than the sum of their parts.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
32 minutes ago, Rivers said:

I'm somewhat curious to watch the video but I've resisted.

I would rather watch this video.

Watch them back-to-back. Some things are best comprehended in stark contrast. Like emerging from the bowels of a cave on a sunny afternoon.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
4 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Well sure it's good for Tyler that his mother still loves and supports him. This love may well be the only thing that stands between him and insanity. The video footage out there is disturbing (including the clips from earlier in this thread) though and I wouldn't want this thread to descend into a cult of personality where we enable his angst by giving him a pass at virtually any form of musical expression. Mr. Glenn is just like numerous other good upstanding LGBT Mormons who have likewise been hurt. They, however, don't enjoy a bully pulpit where they can peddle their "frustration art" for the world to see as long as people are willing to pay. :( The others don't have a vehicle to express themselves in this way but suffer NO LESS than him. They instead mourn silently and confide in only those who they trust. But they would never dream of mocking their former religion in this way knowing full well it would also hurt the ones they love. This does not appear to inhibit Mr. Tyler, however. He mocks the religion that still stands sacred for countless fans many of whom I'm sure are LDS. He propagates this to an ill-informed non-LDS crowd who couldn't care a wit for the LDS church. His message recklessly inflames these ignorant sentiments. Be careful Mr. Glenn not to brand yourself in this way as there may come a day when indeed all you have left is your mother's devotion. Don't waste your artistic talent.

I don't think his anger is an insane act at all. I think it is a very real reality for him and many other gay Mormons. Perhaps the real gage for his anger is not the video, but but that he was willing to risk his very strong Mormon fan base to express that anger

This video was not done to send a message to non-Mormons. They already have a pretty good idea that the church attacks the LGBT community this video was directed to his fan base. There will be those who understand that anger and those who will no longer be fans because they feel that anger is not justified.  

On 5/11/2016 at 10:25 AM, california boy said:

Yeah.  I don't get it either. I mean it is not like the church has done anything to target the gay community and their families.  The only thing the church has said is that acting out sexual feelings is a sin if you are gay.  Other than that, nothing but love.  Maybe we should require gays to be Republican as well.  That way we only get the good ones.

The problem could be the members themselves who often-times are cruel in the way that we treat those who are different or out of sync with our orthodox beliefs. It could be that he was chided, ridiculed or ostracized and felt that the Church is responsible because 'if' the Church were so true and if Jesus Christ is the head then 'how can He allow this to happen' kind-of thought pattern. I feel sincere compassion for him, I know what it is like to feel bitterness; it is very unpleasant and damaging - I hope he can find peace again. But yeah, his mother's comments are so loving as only a mother can be.

22 minutes ago, california boy said:

You just don't get it when it is staring at you in the face. Few people have a problem with church teaching that homosexual relations even in a marriage is wrong. Many churches teach that.  It is the continued attacks towards the gay community that people have a problem with. Prop 8, supporting BSA's discrimination against gay scouts and leaders, not allowing children of gay couples from being baptized, calling them apostates etc. Tyler Glen was an active member knowing full well the churches view on homosexual relations. Not a problem. Perhaps he thought the church was through attacking gays after prop 8.  But sadly no.  The church continued directing policies towards gays. THAT IS WHAT UPSETS HIM. He is not alone. He just has a platform to vent his anger.

The Mormon church is known world wide as being one of the most anti gay churches in the world. That reputation did not come out of thin air. Nor did it come about simply because it teaches against homosexual relations.  While Christ drew sinners closer to Him and showed increased love, the church builds walls and pushes them further away  

Very well said.  Thank you

5 hours ago, california boy said:

I don't think his anger is an insane act at all. I think it is a very real reality for him and many other gay Mormons. Perhaps the real gage for his anger is not the video, but but that he was willing to risk his very strong Mormon fan base to express that anger

This video was not done to send a message to non-Mormons. They already have a pretty good idea that the church attacks the LGBT community this video was directed to his fan base. There will be those who understand that anger and those who will no longer be fans because they feel that anger is not justified.  

For starters, insanity was never measured by how "real" it is to the victim. Though Tyler certainly appears in control of his faculties at this time, his indulgences give cause to pause.

Irrespective of whether his intent was to send a msg to non-believers, it does - and a very powerful one at that. The earlier clip on this thread bothers me more than his video. In the clip, he mocks scripture & modern-day leaders in front of a "juiced up" crowd to what end? Be careful not to hang your hat on the altar of "Hey, he hurts therefore anything goes at a rock concert or on MTV". We'll have to see what Tyler parades out next as a platform to express his pain. Or is it for ticket sales? Hmmmm... 

I guess we'll have to disagree on this one. To some eyes - and perhaps yours? -Tyler appears to have a blank check. Everything in the service of his pain... Good grief.

9 hours ago, rockpond said:

If you listen to his Mormon Stories interview, it gives some insight into the pain that he feels.  The policy last November really threw his faith into a (very fast) tailspin. 

Not only the policy, but remember he said he looked into church history on the internet?  Probably not faith promoting websites.  I think he was checking on things he'd heard on his mission and maybe started listening to Mormon Stories.  I'll have to listen again for the exact thing that threw him, if it was said.  But I highly doubt he'd make the recent video with his testimony still in tact.

2 hours ago, Meadowchik said:

This exchange as seen from his mother's perspective is imo a teachable moment for everyone. His tweet in response to get statement was good.

Has his response been posted here?  Do you have a link?  Thanks.

6 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Not only the policy, but remember he said he looked into church history on the internet?  Probably not faith promoting websites.  I think he was checking on things he'd heard on his mission and maybe started listening to Mormon Stories.  I'll have to listen again for the exact thing that threw him, if it was said.  But I highly doubt he'd make the recent video with his testimony still in tact.

To go from on-fire faithful LDS to burn the church down and all its leaders and members seems a bit of a stretch.  That is why when I think of this young man I think of a child that is throwing a tantrum.  I understand the need to wring our hands about his "pain", but that can only play for so long.  Grow up - this entire life is full of pain.  Real pain is what we see happening to Christians and Jews in the Middle East who see their family members killed, their homes destroyed, their jobs taken away all because they are Jews or Christians.  If I am supposed to equate their suffering to this boy that is forced to deal with the consequences of sin, then I am sorry.  Those are two totally different arenas of pain and suffering.  

US culture is replete with those prepared to mourn, gnash their teeth, and rip their clothing simply because little Johnnie and Mary have hurt feelings.  We lose a sense of justice, of maturity, when we equate all pain as if it is the same.  Talk to me about those who lose a child to suicide, about the destruction of war, or of genocide then we can talk about pain.  However, consequences of sin being classified as something to worry about?  No, I am sorry.  I am not buying what the activists are selling - that king has no clothes. 

Edited by Storm Rider
1 hour ago, Storm Rider said:

To go from on-fire faithful LDS to burn the church down and all its leaders and members seems a bit of a stretch.  That is why when I think of this young man I think of a child that is throwing a tantrum.  I understand the need to wring our hands about his "pain", but that can only play for so long.  Grow up - this entire life is full of pain.  Real pain is what we see happening to Christians and Jews in the Middle East who see their family members killed, their homes destroyed, their jobs taken away all because they are Jews or Christians.  If I am supposed to equate their suffering to this boy that is forced to deal with the consequences of sin, then I am sorry.  Those are two totally different arenas of pain and suffering.  

US culture is replete with those prepared to mourn and pull their hair out simply because little Johnnie and Mary have hurt feelings.  We lose a sense of justice, of maturity when we equate all pain as if it is the same.  Talk to me about those who lose a child to suicide, about the destruction of war or of genocide then we can talk about pain.  However, consequences of sin being classified as something to worry about?  No, I am sorry.  I am not buying what the activists are selling - that king has no clothes. 

So far all your posts are pointing fingers to someone worse than the Mormon Church.  Is that your defense for the way the church treats gays?  Hey we aren't as bad as we could be.  Cause if that is your position, I completely agree with you.  The church could be much worse in their treatment of gays.  That doesn't mean that how the currently target the gay community is particularly praiseworthy.  Maybe you have much lower expectations that I do about the church.

Recent comments by Scott Card seem relevant to the unrelenting awfulness of the LDS church.

But what if it were possible to reach a compromise, a piece of legislation that accomplishes everything that the Republican legislature cares about and meets enough of the restroom needs of the privileged groups that everybody can live with it?

I would have said it wasn't possible. But a year ago, Utah -- arguably the most conservative, and definitely the most Republican, state in Union -- passed a landmark LGBT rights bill.

They were trying to solve the problem of various cities passing a patchwork of anti-discrimination laws. But instead of imposing the Republican majority's will the way HB2 does, the LDS Church pulled together gay advocates and representatives of various religious groups to -- get this -- talk to each other and see what compromises might be possible.

Now, "compromise" is an ugly word among Republicans these days. The whole Drumpf phenomenon seems to be a reaction against any kind of compromise between Republicans in Congress and the doctrinaire Leftist President. If a Republican in office compromises with the other side in order to get half a loaf instead of none, Sean Hannity will call him a RINO (Republican In Name Only) and he'll face a primary challenge ... and lose.

But Utah Republicans are a little bit different -- because most Utah Republicans owe their first loyalty, not to their party or the dogmas of conservatism, but rather to the LDS Church. So if the compromise bears the imprimatur of the Church, then the Republicans who enacted the legislation will not be punished at the polls.

So here's what happened in Utah. The Utah LGBT rights bill added sexual orientation and gender identity to the anti-discrimination laws governing employment and housing. However, there were some exemptions for religious institutions.

As for bathroom facilities, here's what the Utah bill says: "This chapter may not be interpreted to prohibit an employer from adopting reasonable rules and policies that designate sex-specific facilities, including restrooms, shower facilities, and dressing facilities, provided that the employer's rules and policies adopted under this section afford reasonable accommodations based on gender identity to all employees."

Notice that this language does not impose a uniform one-size-fits-all policy that every public restroom must abide by. "Reasonable" is a term in law that can be adjudicated, but it leaves people free to work out, step by step, what's needed in each town and each business.

To some, this might seem like a complete capitulation to the demands of the bullies of the Left -- but it is not. Because they also worked out key provisions to protect religious liberty and freedom of speech.

The law specifically forbids employers from firing or downgrading or otherwise punishing employees for expressing religious and moral beliefs and commitments in the workplace, as long as they do so "in a reasonable, non-disruptive, and non-harassing way."

And an employer can't punish employees for their political and religious advocacy outside of their work hours, including "convictions about marriage, family, or sexuality."

In other words, while accommodating the reasonable needs of the LGBT community, the law also forbids the Left from their Soviet-style practice of trying to make sure that anyone who disagrees with them is never allowed to earn a living again.

How has the Utah law been received? Quoted in the New York Times: "It is a landmark," said Sarah Warbelow, legal director of the Human Rights Campaign, a national gay rights organization. "This is a Republican-controlled Legislature with a Republican governor, and this will be the first time that a Republican-controlled process has led to extension of protections for L.G.B.T. people."

A quote from the Washington Post: Sen. Jim Dabakis, a Democrat from Salt Lake City and the state's only openly gay legislator, said Utah has taken a step toward change. "Oh, if the country could be like this," he said, according to the Deseret News: "This bill is a model -- not just of legislation, but more importantly of how to bridge the cultural rift tearing America apart."

And a quote from the Salt Lake City Deseret News: "If Utah can get this balance between religious liberty and gay rights right, I really think it will be the pivot moment for the country," said Robin Fretwell Wilson, a University of Illinois law professor who helped draft the bill.

She described the legislation as "détente." "We have to find a way to live together. We just can't endlessly be litigating against each other. We can't endlessly be in culture wars," Wilson said. "If you want to know why Utah got it right, it's because they actually called a truce in the culture war."

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2016-04-28.shtml

FWIW

Kevin Christensen

Canonsburgh, PA

1 hour ago, california boy said:

So far all your posts are pointing fingers to someone worse than the Mormon Church.  Is that your defense for the way the church treats gays?  Hey we aren't as bad as we could be.  Cause if that is your position, I completely agree with you.  The church could be much worse in their treatment of gays.  That doesn't mean that how the currently target the gay community is particularly praiseworthy.  Maybe you have much lower expectations that I do about the church.

Talk about zooming over the top of one's head or, what was the phrase, "You just don't get it when it is staring at you in the face."  The issue is the accusation of being anti-gay - the most anti-gay church in the world no less.  

Reality is different regardless of how much the gay media machine cries wolf.  The Church of Jesus Christ is not anti-gay any more than the Catholic Church is anti-gay.  The Church takes a stand that the gay lifestyle is sinful, unhealthy, and leads to gross unhappiness.  Taking that stand leads the church to be against almost all things that facilitate the promotion of the gay lifestyle....like gay marriage.  

Conversely, taking a stand is not being anti-gay.  Being anti-gay, any degree of anti-gay much less the "most" anti-gay has a much different standard - when used in realistic terms - has more about being homophobic and seeking to destroy those that are gay.  The LDS Church does not do that and never has done that.  

People need to wake up - especially the gay media activists - and begin applying a standard to their monotonous, continuous cries of wolf.  

Cal, if you are going to use appellations like being the "most anti-gay church" then at least back it up with why rather than a group of activists that don't know the difference between being anti-gay like the examples I gave and those that simply have a moral standard different than their own.