Sign in to follow this  
smac97

Mom of Tyler Glenn Speaks Re: Her Son's Sacrilegious Music Video

We previously had a thread about Tyler Glenn, a formerly-devoted-but-now-extremely-hostile member of the Church and his incredibly offensive music video which was calculated to profane and disrespect the doctrines and practices of the LDS Church.

On May 4 Mr. Glenn's mother posted a response to her son's music video on Twitter, as summarized  here:

Deb Glenn, mother of Neon Trees frontman Tyler Glenn, had a strong and negative reaction to the solo video for “Trash,” which slams the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and its founder, Joseph Smith.

“I viewed it and I don’t like it,” Deb Glenn wrote on her Twitter page, @NeonMom. “I find it sacrilegious. I find it upsetting. I find it dark. And I love my son.”

“I tried changing the perspective,” Deb Glenn wrote, in her post, which her son shared on his own Twitter, page, @tylerinacoma.

“What is it that he is saying, why this depiction, why this imagery,” Deb Glenn continued. “I know Tyler. I know his heart. I have seen and felt the marginalization of the LGBT+.”

Glenn said she had seen her son’s frustration and sadness, especially since the new and old information on the LDS Church’s policy on homosexuality hit the news in November.

“And then I viewed the video and saw all that pain coming out of him,” Glenn said of her son. “Even I, his mother, did not know of his true inner turmoil, distress and great personal pain. The man in the video drew on some very serious pain, a lifetime of pain. It’s not pretty.”

Glenn said the post was not about her or her own faith or belief in LDS teachings.

“It’s about a young man who is in the public eye (who) has discovered himself and doing something with the pain that is real. I do not want to justify his action turned into what he feels is art. But I do say as my faith has taught me to love one another. To find fault, to finger point, to hate, to loath, to judge without understanding is wrong.”

Glenn said everyone has the right to opinions.

“I choose to act on my faith in God and seek ways to understand, lift and love,” she wrote. “Tyler knows that my husband and I stand with him, at the ready to carry him if necessary. All my love, Mom.”

I think Sister Glenn is an amazing woman.

Thanks,

-Smac

He explains that anger in the link below.  I guess anyone could feel this way if they were in his shoes.  He was very believing LDS, I tend to see the same scenario of others that were TBM or very orthodox, but they aren't ex'd for their love choice.  http://kutv.com/news/local/tyler-glenn-explains-anger-in-his-new-video-toward-the-lds-church  

Edited by Tacenda

28 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

He explains that anger in the link below.

From the link:

He wants friends, family and fans to know he hasn't "lost the spirit".

Yep, because we all know that the fruits of the Spirit include anger, resentment, profanity, and sacrilege...

When I see someone from GOProud or the Log Cabin Republicans on Fox News, I say to myself, "Those homosexuals are not all bad people."  I just watched the Tyler Glenn video on YouTube.  Watching the video resulted in me having the opposite feeling.

Edited by Jim Stiles

Yeah.  I don't get it either. I mean it is not like the church has done anything to target the gay community and their families.  The only thing the church has said is that acting out sexual feelings is a sin if you are gay.  Other than that, nothing but love.  Maybe we should require gays to be Republican as well.  That way we only get the good ones.

2 hours ago, california boy said:

Yeah.  I don't get it either. I mean it is not like the church has done anything to target the gay community and their families.  The only thing the church has said is that acting out sexual feelings is a sin if you are gay.  Other than that, nothing but love.  Maybe we should require gays to be Republican as well.  That way we only get the good ones.

Indeed.  Apparently Mr. Glenn should treat the doctrines and practices of the LDS church with the same respect and deference the church has shown to him.

To his credit, at least Tyler is exposing some of his worshippers to the words of the modern-day prophets:

It can be helpful sometimes to have the contrast drawn so clearly.

I note too that the mark of Amlici really seems to be catching on:

13178611_954725765979_270687762049215189

Edited by Hamba Tuhan

1 hour ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

To his credit, at least Tyler is exposing some of his worshippers to the words of the modern-day prophets:

It can be helpful sometimes to have the contrast drawn so clearly.

I note too that the mark of Amlici really seems to be catching on:

13178611_954725765979_270687762049215189

Yikes...

15 hours ago, Tacenda said:

He explains that anger in the link below.  I guess anyone would feel this way if they were in his shoes.  He was very believing LDS, I tend to see the same scenario of others that were TBM or very orthodox, but they aren't ex'd for their love choice.  http://kutv.com/news/local/tyler-glenn-explains-anger-in-his-new-video-toward-the-lds-church  

I think I would be careful using the phrase "anyone." There are multiple dear friends of mine who are confronted with the same scenario, yet react quite differently.

If I've learned anything, and I don't think I've learned much in the past few years, it's that assuming/predicting actions and feelings of others based on their background isn't always accurate or productive.

I have to say I'm a bit surprised by Tyler's video.  Listening to his MS podcast I thought he was still a believing member until the last hour when he discussed his loss of faith.  

While I can sympathize with Tyler's anger and pain, I don't think this was the best approach to take.  Instead of using this opportunity to garner sympathy for LGBT Mormons and raise awareness to their difficult situation, I fear this video will only cause believing LDS to retrench and dismiss him as an angry exmo.

I get that people really get offended by religious proposition and as such they want to lash out.  In that sense, I'm fine with the video.  THe pain is real.  I wouldn't deny him that.  I'm far too fond of openness of thought and feeling to be upset by this video.  I do think, though, he attempted to slap people in the face.  He probably intended to send that message to leaders or particular members who he's dealt with, but probably not intended for his mom.  I will say, it seems telling that she didn't seem to get his pain until the video though.  Maybe he wanted her to understand that.  Oh well....I can't say much about their personal sitch. 

I won't hold it against him.  I too probably don't quite get the pain he's felt and dealt with. 

For this very reason I cringe when the Church touts celebrities who are Mormons. 

Edited by Bernard Gui

16 minutes ago, omni said:

I have to say I'm a bit surprised by Tyler's video.  Listening to his MS podcast I thought he was still a believing member until the last hour when he discussed his loss of faith.  

While I can sympathize with Tyler's anger and pain, I don't think this was the best approach to take.  Instead of using this opportunity to garner sympathy for LGBT Mormons and raise awareness to their difficult situation, I fear this video will only cause believing LDS to retrench and dismiss him as an angry exmo.

You're probably right.  I even retrench from that kind of anger from ex Mormons that hate on the church.  But I understand some anger if they've been hurt through ecclesiastical leaders or if the church came between them and their families.  Yes, I think this doesn't reflect well on Tyler but I don't think gays that are in SSM or have children unable to be baptized will be too put off.  Just those that the policy doesn't affect.  But then again, who really knows?  But like his mother said and in his interview he said, this is gut wrenching stuff.  

Also, he's an artist and creates from what he's going through.  I just hope it isn't to get more fame or something, similar to Michael Jackson's weird antics where he'd do strange things for none other than to get noticed, the weirder the better thing.  And hope that's not where Tyler wants to go.  And feel a little bad for even thinking it could be that.  Not that I'm a huge fan.  I'd never really heard of him until they were spotlighted during general conference a couple of years ago.  

18 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

I get that people really get offended by religious proposition and as such they want to lash out.  In that sense, I'm fine with the video.  THe pain is real.  I wouldn't deny him that.  I'm far too fond of openness of thought and feeling to be upset by this video.  I do think, though, he attempted to slap people in the face.  He probably intended to send that message to leaders or particular members who he's dealt with, but probably not intended for his mom.  I will say, it seems telling that she didn't seem to get his pain until the video though.  Maybe he wanted her to understand that.  Oh well....I can't say much about their personal sitch. 

I won't hold it against him.  I too probably don't quite get the pain he's felt and dealt with. 

I think there is enough background that we are missing that we can't assume this. And what it is telling could be a whole lot of things.  I also know that how I discussed this in private life would be different than in public  -honest in both ways,  but there are things I would never share about my children in an open setting or even with anyone other than my husband. 

17 hours ago, smac97 said:

Deb Glenn, mother of Neon Trees frontman Tyler Glenn, had a strong and negative reaction to the solo video for “Trash,” which slams the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and its founder, Joseph Smith.

“I viewed it and I don’t like it,” Deb Glenn wrote on her Twitter page, @NeonMom. “I find it sacrilegious. I find it upsetting. I find it dark. And I love my son.”

“I tried changing the perspective,” Deb Glenn wrote, in her post, which her son shared on his own Twitter, page, @tylerinacoma.

“What is it that he is saying, why this depiction, why this imagery,” Deb Glenn continued. “I know Tyler. I know his heart. I have seen and felt the marginalization of the LGBT+.”

Glenn said she had seen her son’s frustration and sadness, especially since the new and old information on the LDS Church’s policy on homosexuality hit the news in November.

“And then I viewed the video and saw all that pain coming out of him,” Glenn said of her son. “Even I, his mother, did not know of his true inner turmoil, distress and great personal pain. The man in the video drew on some very serious pain, a lifetime of pain. It’s not pretty.”

Glenn said the post was not about her or her own faith or belief in LDS teachings.

“It’s about a young man who is in the public eye (who) has discovered himself and doing something with the pain that is real. I do not want to justify his action turned into what he feels is art. But I do say as my faith has taught me to love one another. To find fault, to finger point, to hate, to loath, to judge without understanding is wrong.”

Glenn said everyone has the right to opinions.

“I choose to act on my faith in God and seek ways to understand, lift and love,” she wrote. “Tyler knows that my husband and I stand with him, at the ready to carry him if necessary. All my love, Mom.”

She sounds like a Mother who deeply loves her son.  What a difficult situation for her to be in.  It's obvious from what she wrote above, that she supports her son and feels his pain even though she doesn't "like" the music video.  I  find it interesting that even she did know the depth of his pain until she viewed it (which has to be a big part of what was "upsetting" for her, I'd imagine).

I love how she finished with stating that she will "stand with him, at the read to carry him if necessary".  That's a beautiful message.

Edited by ALarson

36 minutes ago, halconero said:

I think I would be careful using the phrase "anyone." There are multiple dear friends of mine who are confronted with the same scenario, yet react quite differently.

If I've learned anything, and I don't think I've learned much in the past few years, it's that assuming/predicting actions and feelings of others based on their background isn't always accurate or productive.

Well I certainly didn't say everyone did I?

It's nice to hear that his Mom not only loves her son, but supports and stands with him as well.  He needs that love and support, and I'm very sympathetic with his situation and don't pass judgement on his video.  I think he expresses much of the pain and struggle that many people are experiencing due to the church's policy change.  

34 minutes ago, Rain said:

I think there is enough background that we are missing that we can't assume this. And what it is telling could be a whole lot of things.  I also know that how I discussed this in private life would be different than in public  -honest in both ways,  but there are things I would never share about my children in an open setting or even with anyone other than my husband. 

That's what she said.  "Even I, his mother, did not know of his true inner turmoil, distress and great personal pain."  I can't really assume something different if that's what she indicated. 

On 5/11/2016 at 8:27 AM, ALarson said:

She sounds like a Mother who deeply loves her son.  What a difficult situation for her to be in.  It's obvious from what she wrote above, that she supports her son and feels his pain even though she doesn't "like" the music video.  I  find it interesting that even she did know the depth of his pain until she viewed it (which has to be a big part of what was "upsetting" for her, I'd imagine).

I love how she finished with stating that she will "stand with him, at the read to carry him if necessary".  That's a beautiful message.

I agree.  It appears that she is able to love her son even while disagreeing and disliking what he is doing.  Some of us - on both sides - need to work on emulating her example.

Thanks,

-Smac

13 minutes ago, smac97 said:

I agree.  It appears that she is able to love her son even while disagreeing and disliking what he is doing.  Some of us - on both sides - need to work on emulating her example.

We do, but I don't see where she wrote that she disagreed or disliked all he was doing, just that she did not "like" the video.  She was specific about that.

She also said this about the video:

Which I think expresses a desire to understand her son.   That's very admirable.

Edited by ALarson

56 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Well I certainly didn't say everyone did I?

"Anyone would" is an all-encompassing phrase.

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

You're probably right.  I even retrench from that kind of anger from ex Mormons that hate on the church.  But I understand some anger if they've been hurt through ecclesiastical leaders or if the church came between them and their families.  Yes, I think this doesn't reflect well on Tyler but I don't think gays that are in SSM or have children unable to be baptized will be too put off.  Just those that the policy doesn't affect.  But then again, who really knows?  But like his mother said and in his interview he said, this is gut wrenching stuff.  

Also, he's an artist and creates from what he's going through.  I just hope it isn't to get more fame or something, similar to Michael Jackson's weird antics where he'd do strange things for none other than to get noticed, the weirder the better thing.  And hope that's not where Tyler wants to go.  And feel a little bad for even thinking it could be that.  Not that I'm a huge fan.  I'd never really heard of him until they were spotlighted during general conference a couple of years ago.  

Anger is not always a bad thing. It's one of the stages of grief, and you really can't get through the grieving process until you've passed through that anger, no matter how much you want to resist it. It does pass (I know from experience), but not until you let it out. I'm not going to judge him too harshly for dealing with his loss and grief this way. Heaven knows I have a lot of experience dealing with loss in less-than-productive ways.

4 minutes ago, halconero said:

"Anyone would" is an all-encompassing phrase.

I know you're heads and tails above me in intelligence, but anyone means any one, take your pick, not all.  It could be anyone, but not everyone.  But I'll retract "would" and put "could".  Thanks, I just saw the problem while addressing this.  

If I came off as condescending or belittling, I apologize.

My intent was not to demean your phrasing, but address how it might be a bit to all-encompassing. There's some good examples from dictionary.com of how it is used in such a manner, not just the "take your pick" usage:

- A survey by the U of T/Austin said campaign donors are more influentialwith members of Congress than anyone else.

There are some native foods which are just not that appealing to anyonewho didn't grow up on them.

Anarchists, and anyone else for that matter, have until May 30 to reply tothese and other comments on the FCC website.

Edited by halconero

3 minutes ago, halconero said:

If I came off as condescending or belittling, I apologize.

My intent was not to demean your phrasing, but address how it might be a bit to all-encompassing.

No, you don't ever come off that way to me or others that I've seen.  I actually didn't see a problem with my usage of words until the middle of my answer which was going to be completely the opposite of what it ended up being.  I finally got it.  The problem was my usage of 'would' vs. 'could'.  Thanks Hal, keep me straight anytime!

Sign in to follow this