Sign in to follow this  
Doctrine 612

Over coming lies

My buddy told me that a missionary in his Ward accused him of teaching " you can live a perfect life in were you don't need Christ atonement " I could not believe it, I asked my friend how could the missionary think such a thing. He said he knows not. But that it has given him some troubles from the leadership. But he says he is strong and God will be there.

have any of you guys ever been accused of false teachings and how did you over come them.

I have been accused of that many times. Sometimes it was even true. You get over it.

Ummm...yeah.  ;)

But here's the thing.  I don't argue or fight against my priesthood leadership and would never force an issue in the ward.
At the same time, if someone accuses a doctrine I firmly believe in of being false I generally ignore them unless they provide further light.

As for accusations that misrepresent my teachings or beliefs, that is just an opportunity to clarify.  It doesn't have to be an opportunity to take offense.

Edited by JLHPROF

24 minutes ago, Doctrine 612 said:

My buddy told me that a missionary in his Ward accused him of teaching " you can live a perfect life in were you don't need Christ atonement " I could not believe it, I asked my friend how could the missionary think such a thing. He said he knows not. But that it has given him some troubles from the leadership. But he says he is strong and God will be there.

have any of you guys ever been accused of false teachings and how did you over come them.

In this particular instance..it just seems like your buddy might was just misinterpreted.  Perhaps there a chance he could explain?

It would be so easy to fix in a conversation. 

37 minutes ago, Doctrine 612 said:

Why don"t you ask your friend to send you an email with an explanation of what it is he taught that he believes the missionary misunderstood? Then get his permission to copy and paste his response on this thread so that the board participants can decide for themselves whether or not your friend taught incorrect doctrine.  It could be that your friend was misunderstood because he didn't present his ideas with enough clarity. I'm interested to learn what it is he has to say in his defense. 

Edited by Bobbieaware

He told me that he tried to explain him self but the leadership won't listen.

He also said all he taught that would be even close to what the whole thing is, is that we can come unto Christ and be perfected thru him and live a joyous life of peace, knowing that we are saved, and serve God with love.

13 minutes ago, Doctrine 612 said:

He told me that he tried to explain him self but the leadership won't listen.

He also said all he taught that would be even close to what the whole thing is, is that we can come unto Christ and be perfected thru him and live a joyous life of peace, knowing that we are saved, and serve God with love.

Based on what little information you provide, I would guess the leaders think what he taught sounds a little too much like born-again Christian teaching. 

6 hours ago, Doctrine 612 said:

" you can live a perfect life in were you don't need Christ atonement "

So does that also mean that I don't need to be resurrected, which is of course part of the atonement?
Is it possible for an imperfect human being to never commit a sin? 

25 minutes ago, Doctrine 612 said:

That sounds like the born again once-saved-always-saved doctrine. It's a nice thought but probably not possible for us sinners.

I think what he said is awesome since it comes from Moroni ch 10 but to each there own

32 Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.

33 And again, if ye by the grace of God are perfect in Christ, and deny not his power, then are ye sanctified in Christ by the grace of God, through the shedding of the blood of Christ, which is in the covenant of the Father unto the remission of your sins, that ye become holy, without spot.

you can serve God in many ways, out of fear, out of duty or out of love. And since we have faith in Christ atonement we need not fear death, so we can serve out of love.

Edited by Doctrine 612

15 hours ago, Doctrine 612 said:

That sounds very frustrating.  Perhaps rather than getting to explain what he meant he can ask the leaders what they found false?  OFTEN people get things set in their own mind what they think you are saying so by explaining the leaders may be set in thinking he is trying to convince them off false doctrine.  Maybe by turning it around and asking them for correction they will be able to get out of that mode and listen to them when he agrees that "yes,  that would be false doctrine.  What I meant was ___________."

9 hours ago, JAHS said:

So does that also mean that I don't need to be resurrected, which is of course part of the atonement?
Is it possible for an imperfect human being to never commit a sin? 

That sounds like the born again once-saved-always-saved doctrine. It's a nice thought but probably not possible for us sinners.

This isn't false doctrine and it is possible.  It just has that word "saved" that trips people up when comparing us with evangelical teachings because we have different views on what saved means and Christ's and our roles in the process. 

With that in mind if he were in gospel doctrine it wouldn't pause me one bit if taught in gospel doctrine. I might have a different view if it were in gospel essentials taught with evangelic ivestigators in class  - if it wasn't explained what coming to Christ meant. 

The thing though is that isn't the problem.  That would mean that the missionary thought that what was taught was that we need do nothing,  only Christ needs to do that.  But the missionary reported that Christ could technically not be needed. So it sounds like what was said was not what the missionary heard and the miscommunication just keeps on going. 

Yes that is right because what the missionary heard and thinks is the opposite of What Christ came to do. 

I just feel bad about this since I have also been accused of things in the past. I guess we must all go thru this in life it's now his turn.

Kind of frustrating isn't it?  And it happens all the time.  Last night something happened and this person's view is far different than mine.  Between this thread,  some other things and that I decided I needed to check and see if my version was out of whack so I asked my daughter what she saw happened.  Her version was almost word for word mine so I am feeling like at least I saw things right and need to figure out how to make the communication better. Not going to be an easy thing by far!

Edited by Rain

Yea, now I know why Jesus stressed love so much, if we just stopped to think and come at others with love the world would be better. Not to sound like a hippie.

Just now, Doctrine 612 said:

Yea, now I know why Jesus stressed love so much, if we just stopped to think and come at others with love the world would be better. Not to sound like a hippie.

Go get a haircut ya hippie!

On May 10, 2016 at 2:16 PM, Doctrine 612 said:

I'd like to see the missionary resurrect himself after his perfect atonement-less life. That would be a neat parlor trick. 

"But he says he is strong and God will be there" - because of the Atonement that he knows very little of.

Sometimes it's hard to figure out who's telling the truth and the most correct. It's important to me to be on the right side.

For my 4000th post ill ask this question. How do you fellow posters know what is really true and what is false doctrine. Is it just a warm fuzzy feeling in your bosom that let's you know doctrine is true or is it something more? And if so what is it that let's you know what is really the truth and not just a comfortable lie.

On 11.5.2016 at 4:51 PM, Doctrine 612 said:

Yes that is right because what the missionary heard and thinks is the opposite of What Christ came to do. 

I just feel bad about this since I have also been accused of things in the past. I guess we must all go thru this in life it's now his turn.

The missionary could be 18 years old. Or he could have misspoke in nervousness. Human understanding is the way to go. Also, one can talk with this missionary and find out just what he or she meant. I see no problem. And if the doctrine is true, then a good dialogue about it is also the way to go. Or the person can just raise their hand for an explanation from the teacher.

4 hours ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

For my 4000th post ill ask this question. How do you fellow posters know what is really true and what is false doctrine. Is it just a warm fuzzy feeling in your bosom that let's you know doctrine is true or is it something more? And if so what is it that let's you know what is really the truth and not just a comfortable lie.

At the end of the day, it is the person's testimony that most matters. If we learn something that is different than what we thought. we can think about it, reflect on it and if we don't agree with can shelve it for a while. Unfortunately, many have a knee jerk reaction and leave the church or no longer go. The LDS are a strange bunch sometimes. I think that is one of the only churches where members who receive personal revelation or testimony can suddenly lose it easily. But this is only my humble opinion.

4 hours ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

Sometimes it's hard to figure out who's telling the truth and the most correct. It's important to me to be on the right side.

Sometimes you cannot know of two people who is lying or truthful. But choosing what is right comes first. Usually no one is completely right.

12 hours ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

Good question, I like to say the scriptures are the bases of truth everything else is comentary 

False teachings?  No.  However, on my mission, I was accused of asking inappropriate questions during some baptismal interviews.  I had just been transferred to a new area after having been released as a District Leader, and my new companion and I went to meet the Zone Leaders at the family's residence so they could conduct the interviews.  After nearly an hour of waiting when they still hadn't showed, I pulled my companion aside and suggested that, since I had just been released as a District Leader and hadn't taught the family, I could do the interviews if we got President's approval.  

We got his approval, my companion asked if I would feel comfortable asking the questions from memory (I told him I would not, since I hadn't been a District Leader very long and hadn't conducted many interviews: this proved to be fortuitous/a blessing, for reasons I'll explain), and we made a beeline back to our apartment so I could get the questions out of the Missionary Guide.  Hands already full of crutches ;), I didn't want to bring the whole bulky Guide with me, so I turned to the page with the questions on it, ripped it out of the book, and ran (sorta! ;)) back out the door.

All three baptismal-age members of the family indicated involvement with an abortion, I followed policy by not asking for details and simply indicating matter-of-factly that another interview with the Stake President would be necessary, and considered that essentially the end of the matter as far as I was concerned ... until I got a call from the Zone Leaders, who'd been told that I'd asked inappropriate questions about ... intimacy.  (Thank goodness, and, in fact, thank God, for that missing page from my Missionary Guide, physical evidence of the truth/my side of the story). ;) 

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:16 PM, Doctrine 612 said:

If nobody ever lies about you, you are doing something wrong.  ;)

What I was getting at was specifically how do you know the church is true. Is it a feeling, a hunch in your gut, or was it a miraculous spiritual experience that confirmed it to you? What specifically confirmed to you that the LDS church is the true church?