Seriously No Politics ×

LDS Membership Numbers

Since the 2008 membership numbers were released I have been tracking 20 areas of the world. This year might have been the most interesting.

• California's membership decreased by 4,867 and the number of units decreased by 10.
  • Ghana's membership increased by 5,367 and the number of units increased by 37.
  • This is the 6th straight year that Sweden has stayed at 40 units.
  • Peru increased its membership by 11,231 but lost 10 units.

I have attached the pdf of the data that I have collected.

It's interesting that the video of Elder Holland just surfaced claiming double-digit stake creations per week. The increase in units for the year was 395 (7.6 per week).

LDS Church Membership 2008-2015.pdf

42 minutes ago, Thinking said:

Since the 2008 membership numbers were released I have been tracking 20 areas of the world. This year might have been the most interesting.

• California's membership decreased by 4,867 and the number of units decreased by 10.
  • Ghana's membership increased by 5,367 and the number of units increased by 37.

It's interesting that the video of Elder Holland just surfaced claiming double-digit stake creations per week. The increase in units for the year was 395 (7.6 per week).

Consolidation of units is nothing new.  In the case of California, so many members have left the state (including me and many of my friends here in Utah) that the membership figures there have indeed decreased.  Overall, however, the LDS Church continues to increase in size and units, and will into the foreseeable future.

4 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Consolidation of units is nothing new.  In the case of California, so many members have left the state (including me and many of my friends here in Utah) that the membership figures there have indeed decreased.  Overall, however, the LDS Church continues to increase in size and units, and will into the foreseeable future.

Yes.  California was a good place to grow up back in the day but now its a good place to be from.  Hopefully my brother and sister will get their families out. 

14 hours ago, Thinking said:

This is cool stuff.  Thanks.  From your list, I believe I saw, Peru was the one listed with the most members per congregation.  Chile is number 1 in the world with the dubious distinction of having the most members per congregation (959).  Indeed, the countries in Latin America top the list of countries with most members per congregation--suggesting that perhaps the area of the world with more members on record who do not consider themselves members is Latin America.  regionally there's a lot of variation, it seems, in these kinds of things.   People have been talking the past few years of very high conversion numbers in Africa.  but it's possible Africa turns into LA 2.0 one fo these days, with large numbers of members on record but many of them don't consider themselves members.  I guess we'll see it'll be interesting to continue to watch these figures.  Ghana and Nigeria, I believe the two African countries with the most members, have pretty low member per congregation numbers to date.  But, we don't know the activity rate in them.  I think these two present two interesting locations worth following, in terms of these types of numbers.