Seriously No Politics ×

Do energy drinks violate the word of wisdom?

The WOW says no coffee or tea, but energy drinks are like 10 times worse packed with so much sugar and caffeine and so many LDS drink them. I used to drink Monster energy drinks for my early morning shift and they would speed up my heartbeat dangerously. I would think drinking energy drinks should fall under the same category as not following the word of wisdom.

9 minutes ago, JAHS said:

If one is addicted to them then yes it might be considered against the WOW. But that's completely up to the individual. We should not be commanded in all things. 

Well I'm asking if drinking it could disqualify you from having a temple recommend like drinking coffee does.

1 minute ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

Well I'm asking if drinking it could disqualify you from having a temple recommend like drinking coffee does.

Nope. Just hot black tea, hot coffee, alcohol, and tobacco and illegal drugs is all that is a concern when getting a temple recommend.
Other things might break the spirit of the WOW and should be included in it for certain people, but that's up to them to police themselves.
One should ask their Bishop if they are not sure of something.

Energy drinks and soda pop are definitely not good for us, but I don't think they will keep somebody out of the temple.  It is not meet that we should be commanded in all things, but that we do many good things of our own free will and choice.  

Some things, in my opinion, God simply expects and wants us to use good common sense and the best scientific evidence available.  Energy drinks fall under that category, in my mind.    

26 minutes ago, Sky said:

Energy drinks and soda pop are definitely not good for us, but I don't think they will keep somebody out of the temple.  It is not meet that we should be commanded in all things, but that we do many good things of our own free will and choice.  

Some things, in my opinion, God simply expects and wants us to use good common sense and the best scientific evidence available.  Energy drinks fall under that category, in my mind.    

New things have and are coming on the market all the time, like energy drinks... a stimulant to say the least... when the WoW was revealed, there was no such thing as an energy drink, etc.  I agree, God expects us to use our common sense and apply the spirit of the law to those things that are not specifically spelled out such as energy drinks.  We know what we should be putting into our bodies and what not to... 

GG 

A friend of mine went in for a temple recommend interview with her Bishop. When he asked her about the word of Wisdom, she told him that she still had a problem with coke. She did not get the recommend. But what the Bishop didn't know is that she meant the soft drink Coke, but he though she was talking about the drug cocaine.  And of course she assumed the Bishop knew what she was referring to. I think it got sorted out later on and she got the recommend. 

13 minutes ago, SteveO said:

I used to work 80-110 hour weeks out in the oil fields for almost two years.  I can tell you my body has been absolutely wrecked by energy drinks.  Stay away from them.

Ya they raised my heartbeat rapidly and made me all jittery. I was afraid I was going to have a heart attack so I quit them.

Oh, gosh, another WoW thread.  I think I've had enough of those, let alone energy drinks.

My bishop reported to me that his father's habit of drink three or four Monsters a day almost killed him.  His kidneys failed and at one point the docs told him there was only a ten percent chance they would start up again.  Or maybe it was his liver.  Anyway, we don't freaking need every darn unhealthy thing spelled out in the WoW.  It shouldn't be necessary for the Lord to put out an annually updated list of what you shouldn't partake of.  Just stay away from coffee, tea, booze and tobacco.  And whatever else is bad for you.  On your own initiative.

46 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

Oh, gosh, another WoW thread.  I think I've had enough of those, let alone energy drinks.

My bishop reported to me that his father's habit of drink three or four Monsters a day almost killed him.  His kidneys failed and at one point the docs told him there was only a ten percent chance they would start up again.  Or maybe it was his liver.  Anyway, we don't freaking need every darn unhealthy thing spelled out in the WoW.  It shouldn't be necessary for the Lord to put out an annually updated list of what you shouldn't partake of.  Just stay away from coffee, tea, booze and tobacco.  And whatever else is bad for you.  On your own initiative.

Why is coffee so bad? Ive never drank it once in my life but doctors have said it can be good for you.

13 minutes ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

Why is coffee so bad? Ive never drank it once in my life but doctors have said it can be good for you.

None of the things in the Word of Wisdom are so bad, VGJ.  I've partaken of every single one of them at least once in my life and I'm still breathing and above ground.  And all of them have their uses, including tobacco.  It is entirely possible that a cup of coffee a day is better than no coffee at all.  And a small glass of wine a couple of times per week may also have health benefits.  But every single one of them, if used to excess, can lead to serious health problems.

But that's not the point.  The point is that we are under covenant to refrain from partaking of them.  And it's a covenant I have have agreed to abide by.  So it doesn't matter to me whether a modest amount of any of these things may actually be good for me, I'm not going to partake.  Besides, the health benefits of each of them may be acquired without actually partaking of them.  For instance, one of the components of red wine that has health benefits is also obtainable by drinking unfermented grape juice.  The beneficial anti-oxidants that can be found in coffee can be obtained from other sources in standardized form.

3 hours ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

The WOW says no coffee or tea, but energy drinks are like 10 times worse packed with so much sugar and caffeine and so many LDS drink them. I used to drink Monster energy drinks for my early morning shift and they would speed up my heartbeat dangerously. I would think drinking energy drinks should fall under the same category as not following the word of wisdom.

Caffeinated soft drinks used to be more seriously discouraged in the Church than they are today, though use of them never rendered one ineligible to hold a temple recommend or a Church calling.

My parents took the discouragement seriously, and I grew believing that drinking cola was nearly as bad as drinking coffee.

Though I understand differently now, I still would never take up the practice of consuming caffeinated soft drinks. I consider it a gift from my parents, particularly my mom, that I was taught not to use them. I see nothing praiseworthy about a product containing a potentially habit-forming drug.

3 hours ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

Yes, it "could" disqualify you. Don't remember how it is worded, but the question of anything else in your life that could make you unworthy of the temple could disqualify you. If you feel you shouldn't be taking them and do anyway then you MAY need to answer that there is something that is affecting your worthiness.  You would have to take it up with the Lord to know if that applies to you or not.  

12 minutes ago, Rain said:

Yes, it "could" disqualify you. Don't remember how it is worded, but the question of anything else in your life that could make you unworthy of the temple could disqualify you. If you feel you shouldn't be taking them and do anyway then you MAY need to answer that there is something that is affecting your worthiness.  You would have to take it up with the Lord to know if that applies to you or not.  

The question asked is "Do you keep the Word of Wisdom?"  It's a Yes or No.  There is no Maybe.  If you feel that drinking Coca Cola is against the WoW, and you drink Coca-Cola, then you should say "No" to the question.  If you don't believe that Coke is against the WoW then answer Yes.  The final question, anything else in your life, is there for you to admit that you're a bank robber, or something else that isn't specifically covered in the rest of the interview.  

I didn't say anything about the Wow or the question you stated. It is easy to say yes or no to that question if you believe energy drinks are or are not against the WoW. Some people run more black and white and may think it is not against the WoW as put out by the church, but still may feel it is personally wrong for them. So when VGJ asks if it could keep you out of the temple I am answering yes it could because even if it isn't in the WoW the last question may still apply. 

Personally, I do think it is against the spirit of the WoW even if it isn't against the law of it, but I cannot apply that to other people. 

5 hours ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

Ya they raised my heartbeat rapidly and made me all jittery. I was afraid I was going to have a heart attack so I quit them.

Well there's your proof 'energy drinks' aren't against the word of wisdom, because doesn't it say you'll walk and not be weary and run and not faint? That sounds pretty close to having a rapid heartbeat and feeling jittery (I.e. being wide awake). There you go;  a toast to your health...

10 hours ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

The WofW states coffee and tea - coffee and tea are not sugar and they are not caffeine.  

The WofW is explicit on what is and what is not allowed.  Nothing has been added to the 89th Section and I think it unhelpful for the saints or even local or regional leaders to attempt to add to the section as written.  

On there other hand, there are reasons to live a healthy life are not tied to the spiritual nature of the 89th Section.  Exercise is not mentioned, but it should be a life-long habit.  Herbs, drugs, medications, man-made or not, that quickly affect the body or the mind should be used under medical supervision or an informed, conscious mind i.e. I don't see a problem with an energy drink or other similar products on specific, rare occasions there they may be helpful.  Use your common sense.

"For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward."

D&C 58:26

Edited by Rivers

Now, if we could just get the leadership to emphasize the 'pro' aspects of the WoW , we might reduce the number of 300 pounders. People do lots of things to their bodies that are at least as harmful as a glass of wine. As has been said here several times, use wisdom in what you put into your body. That includes the number of BigMacs per week.

8 hours ago, Rain said:

I didn't say anything about the Wow or the question you stated. It is easy to say yes or no to that question if you believe energy drinks are or are not against the WoW. Some people run more black and white and may think it is not against the WoW as put out by the church, but still may feel it is personally wrong for them. So when VGJ asks if it could keep you out of the temple I am answering yes it could because even if it isn't in the WoW the last question may still apply. 

Personally, I do think it is against the spirit of the WoW even if it isn't against the law of it, but I cannot apply that to other people. 

Yep, I'm being too confrontational again.  Sorry.  :-(