Seriously No Politics ×

Do we need to pay tithing on tax refunds?

10 minutes ago, Calm said:

I didn't register it either (monthwise not that long ago) until I noticed his name as he hasn't been around for awhile.

I wouldn't have noticed the date either,  but noticed his name right away in the title. It helped that our had a star, meaning I had read it before, but the title wasn't familiar from the last few days.

6 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Got it. 

Things get complicated quickly when you start getting stingy with the Lord. Convinces me more than ever that paying on the gross is the best policy. 

(And don’t anybody start with me about tithing being a personal and individual matter. I’m entitled to have and express an opinion.)

Seems like looking for ways to pay less tithing is not the wisest course, but that is just my opinion.

As a good friend said yesterday, “It took me 70 years to get God into my life. I’m in no hurry now to find ways to get him out of it!”

Edited by Bernard Gui

This is such a First World question. Many Saints live in nations that don't withhold taxes. People simply get paid, they tithe on their income, and then at some point they receive a tax bill. 

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
6 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Judging intent...great. Next you will ask if you want net or gross blessings. 😕

Judging???  🤔

Edited by Bernard Gui
8 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

Seems like looking for ways to pay less tithing is not the wisest course, but that is just my opinion.

As a good friend said yesterday, “It took me 70 years to get God into my life. I’m in no hurry now to find ways to get him out of it!”

Of all actions in my life that might bring me regret, having paid too much in tithing has never been among them. 

9 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

This is such a First World question. Many Saints live in nations that don't withhold taxes. People simply get paid, they tithe on their income, and then at some point they receive a tax bill. 

It really does bring a false sense of entitlement: not regarding as income what has been withheld for taxes, as though one doesn’t receive value in return in the form of myriad government services including law enforcement,  fire public safety, public education, national defense, roads and bridges, consumer protection, culinary water, sewers, public health, etc. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
On 3/23/2016 at 10:17 AM, flameburns623 said:

Just from random impressions I am left with a sense that Rock is proposing a church comprised of 15 million Prophets, Seers, and Revalators.

Of course, I may be judging prematurely.

That IS what we should be (in fact we are commanded to be), each in our own sphere of influence.

On 3/25/2016 at 11:58 AM, Scott Lloyd said:

What about other savings? You don't use that right away either. 

Social Security is more old-age insurance than it is a savings account. Do you tithe the money you spend for insurance?

That's really none of your business, is it?

6 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

It really does bring a false sense of entitlement: not regarding as income what has been withheld for taxes, as though one doesn’t receive value in return in the form of myriad government services including

law enforcement,  

fire public safety,

public education,

national defense,

roads and bridges,

consumer protection,

culinary water, sewers, public health, etc. 

law enforcement, - have not used them - ever (I also have guns for my families protection), I have gotten speeding tickets, should I deduct the amount I paid in those?

fire public safety, - The only time I ever called the fire department was for a medical emergency, which they billed me for (and I paid promptly), again, should I deduct that amount.

public education, - We never were able to have kids, yet I pay for that in my property taxes every year. If we had kids they would have been home schooled. My parents paid their taxes when I was in school.

national defense - defense, Yes, I'll pay for that, let me know when we start doing just that. Perhaps we could start by defending the border.

roads and bridges - paid for out of gas taxes and also tolls, at least here

consumer protection, - some is good, but in a truly free economy, economics would take care of most - especially in today's world of online reviews.

culinary water, sewers, public health, etc. - I pay for water and sewer every month, doesn't everyone? The company that built this neighborhood had to put in the utilities, roads, sidewalks, etc, and rolled the cost into the cost of the housing.

Edited by mnn727
22 minutes ago, mnn727 said:

That's really none of your business, is it?

Maybe you missed this response I made three years ago on this thread when someone made that complaint:

“Just expressing rhetorical or thought questions. 

“Seems like every comment on this board is open to response or question -- except someone's quirky definition of tithing. That is shielded as sacrosanct by the unwritten commandment: Thou shalt not comment on or question someone's quirky definition of tithing. 

“Or something like that.”

45 minutes ago, mnn727 said:

law enforcement, - have not used them - ever (I also have guns for my families protection), I have gotten speeding tickets, should I deduct the amount I paid in those?

fire public safety, - The only time I ever called the fire department was for a medical emergency, which they billed me for (and I paid promptly), again, should I deduct that amount.

public education, - We never were able to have kids, yet I pay for that in my property taxes every year. If we had kids they would have been home schooled. My parents paid their taxes when I was in school.

national defense - defense, Yes, I'll pay for that, let me know when we start doing just that

I don’t care what anyone pays for tithes.  But it seems to me that living in a country that provides services to others is very different than living in a country that doesn’t-? 

I know people who don’t pay taxes, for these reasons.  

I get paid cash, green cash most of the time.  I still pay taxes.  And if it matters to anyone we pay gross amounts of tithing.  

My husband has an unwavering faith with regards to that law.  So I support him.  I don’t necessarily agree with his philosophies. But I support him. 

4 hours ago, Calm said:

All these things affect you indirectly even if you never use them.  Remove police and fire from your area and the quality of your life will go down,

Public education creates a more literate society that pays more taxes and has less social problems so improves the quality of life by improving your greater community.

Perhaps, perhaps not.

Public education indoctrinates children in ways I am totally opposed to, it was not always this way, but it has been for at least 20 years now

On 4/17/2019 at 9:23 AM, mnn727 said:

I have a feeling when you need the police and fire departments, you will be quite happy that they are available for you.

19 hours ago, mnn727 said:

Perhaps, perhaps not.

Public education indoctrinates children in ways I am totally opposed to, it was not always this way, but it has been for at least 20 years now

I work in public education. What do you mean by indoctrination?

5 hours ago, mnn727 said:

Liberal indoctrination

I know, I know, it's terrible to teach those kids about liberal democracy:

Liberal democracy is a liberal political ideology and a form of government in which representative democracy operates under the principles of classical liberalism. Also called Western democracy, it is characterised by elections between multiple distinct political parties, a separation of powers into different branches of government, the rule of law in everyday life as part of an open society, a market economy with private property and the equal protection of human rights, civil rights, civil liberties and political freedoms for all people. To define the system in practice, liberal democracies often draw upon a constitution, either formally written or uncodified, to delineate the powers of government and enshrine the social contract. After a period of sustained expansion throughout the 20th century, liberal democracy became the predominant political system in the world.

34 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

Ugh....what is a tax refund??  Haven't had one for years.....this State is killing me!

You can always change your withholding...though if you are not paying fines for under payment it's almost always better to pay than get a refund.

Edited by Rain