Seriously No Politics ×

Young Men's President arrested for sex crimes

8 hours ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

A thought just occurred to me. Could the two 16 year old girls get in trouble with their Bishop and Stake President for having sex and sending inappropriate texts? 

I've wondered the same thing myself.  These aren't little kids; they are young women who are old enough that they should have known better.  It's especially troubling that Jane Doe 1 seems to have facilitated the wrongdoing with Jane Doe 2.  

A background check on this guy prior to his alleged illegal activity would not have raised red flags so in worldly thinking I'm not sure what the church could have done to prevent this. The issue of discernment is interesting, though. The YM pres works very closely with the bishop. I think it's legitimate to question the bishop's discernment. Either he discerned a problem and didn't act or he didn't discern the problem. Neither possibility is very comforting when we believe and treat leaders as if they have this special spiritual gift.

The question is what does the church do about this guy now and what can it do to help the victims? If they ignore the problem (no discipline) and he later ends up in a position to do harm again, then the church would absolutely be responsible. But that's a big IF. Meanwhile, the only criticism is about the level of discernment.

1 hour ago, Traela said:

I've wondered the same thing myself.  These aren't little kids; they are young women who are old enough that they should have known better.  It's especially troubling that Jane Doe 1 seems to have facilitated the wrongdoing with Jane Doe 2.  

Absolutely the YW could also face some church discipline. Being a victim doesn't always mean the person is completely innocent.