Seriously No Politics ×

Reaching out to our Youth in Post-Policy Mormonism

9 minutes ago, rockpond said:

And your response to the increase in LDS LGBT youth suicides since the policy?

Is to wonder about the support system these children are provided with.
Every child should have people they can turn to.  And that means ALL of us making ourselves available.

Can we all do better in providing support, counseling, and comfort to troubled souls from all walks of life?  You bet we can, and we need to.
That's what Christ would have done.

22 minutes ago, rockpond said:

I don't think the author of the essay would disagree with what you've written here.  I don't.  But what you've written here also does nothing to address this recent increase in LDS LGBT youth suicides.

I wouldn't expect any disagreement. Your OP isn't about addressing "this recent increase in LDS LGBT youth suicides" but about "an important read and good perspective." The article was not an important read, and demonstrates a poor perspective in the ways I pointed out.

Are you now asking me to address it differently than I said I am? How is what I said I am doing not addressing it? I don't see you addressing it at all!

Edited by CV75
22 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Is to wonder about the support system these children are provided with.
Every child should have people they can turn to.  And that means ALL of us making ourselves available.

Can we all do better in providing support, counseling, and comfort to troubled souls from all walks of life?  You bet we can, and we need to.
That's what Christ would have done.

What you've written here is the message I got from the essay... and the reason I decided to post it to a thread.

13 minutes ago, smac97 said:

I read it.  Here are my thoughts:

1. I echo Storm's concern about and disgust with the exploitation of suicides as a rhetorical weapon against the LDS Church.  Rockpond has done this before (see here, here, here, here and here), but he apologized.  So it's disappointing to see a return to such an unseemly and repellant tactic.

Sharing an article that provides data is not making an accusation.  Draw whatever conclusion you feel is appropriate.  The article is just a plea.

1 minute ago, bluebell said:

I'm guessing that the vast majority of church members agree with what JLHPROF said and you seconded. It's probably not unreasonable to assume that 95% (that's probably low) support the idea of helping kids feel loved and supported so suicide is less tempting.

Given that, if that is the whole point of the article, why did it even need to be written in the first point?

To bring awareness to a problem that seems to have gotten worse over the past couple months.  That's why I posted it here.

11 minutes ago, rockpond said:

Sharing an article that provides data is not making an accusation.  Draw whatever conclusion you feel is appropriate.  The article is just a plea.

If the article had stuck with just advocacy of treating suicidal children better. No one would object. I, and others,object to advocating that the Church change its doctrines, simply because some don't like them.

1 minute ago, thesometimesaint said:

If the article had stuck with just advocacy of treating suicidal children better. No one would object. I, and others,object to advocating that the Church change its doctrines, simply because some don't like them.

CFR that she advocated changing doctrine.

Thanks smac for all that information.  I have not followed these arguments closely.  A can see the points you are making.  Being just over a year from feeling my mind ready to break, pistol in hand and getting a feel for the help available in SLC, Utah at that time I'm too biased too see anything but those suffering.

I truly do hope the hearts of the members are softening.  Even one is too many.

1 minute ago, rockpond said:

To bring awareness to a problem that seems to have gotten worse over the past couple months.  That's why I posted it here.

I didn't see it in the article and maybe i missed it, but where are the statistics for gay LDS youth suicides for the last few years? 

Are those available somewhere?

1 minute ago, bluebell said:

I didn't see it in the article and maybe i missed it, but where are the statistics for gay LDS youth suicides for the last few years? 

Are those available somewhere?

The Mama Dragons research is stated in the first paragraph of the essay.

4 minutes ago, rockpond said:

The first paragraph of the essay makes the case.

I looked at the linked article and there is no support for the numbers.

In the author's comments, it is admitted that there is no support or documentation for the numbers.

1 minute ago, rockpond said:

The Mama Dragons research is stated in the first paragraph of the essay.

They are giving their conclusions in that paragraph. They don't seem to share their actual research anywhere though. 

They provide no citations or references to support their statements (that I have found yet). 

3 minutes ago, Mystery Meat said:

We do care, rock, and that is the point. 

The author does her argument no favors when she condemns members of the Church who do in fact care. In fact, it is astounding that she could take something so universally good (preventing suicide) and surround the issue in contention by applying guilt and shame where it does not belong. 

But that is what she did.

If you care, than why does the article bother you?  How does she apply guilt and shame where it does not belong?

6 minutes ago, rockpond said:

All true which is why we should care about an increase in youth suicides.

To help me make the point, let me take one short snippet of her article:

Some of you probably are shouting in your heads, “But the Bible says acting on homosexuality is a sin!” or “Homosexuality is contrary to the plan of salvation!”

In my head I hear: Out, damned spot! Out, I say

Now imagine that Dan Peterson posted this article on ldsliving.com and the above was replaced with the following:

Some of you probably are shouting in your heads, “But the Bible says to Love everyone!” or “These policies are inconsistent with the Savior's teachings!”

In my head I hear: Out, damned spot! Out, I say

Hardly unbiased and without agenda, am I right? She actually hurts her argument and her agenda is exposed.