Seriously No Politics ×

Gun pulled during Idaho Falls funeral at LDS church

JAHS

Better watch what you say at the next funeral you speak at.

"Idaho Falls Police responded to funeral being held at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints building on Coronado Street in Idaho Falls after a woman pulled out a gun during a funeral service.
A person attending the funeral told reporter Chelsea Brentzel that the funeral was for the husband of the woman.
Officers responded to the church and disarmed the woman with the gun. She is currently being held by police.
One person attending the funeral said the woman did not approve of something the speaker said about her husband.
No one was hurt in the incident."

Gun pulled during Idaho Falls funeral at LDS church

Not to make light of the OP, but wanted share a story about my father in law and his semi recent funeral.  One of the speakers was his long time friend.  He stated that my in law's used to hide their money under the mattress until he talked them out of it.  He said this in a playful kidding way, and he's a lawyer & a faithful LDS too.  But my mother in law was shocked he could lie like that.  And then proceeded to say that the only time he saw my father in law mad was when my husband, even named my husband, shot their family dog.

My husband lived in the country, and back then if a dog got in and started killing your chickens, they were told to shoot it. Well that sounds bad, I was aghast when my husband told me early in our marriage that he had to shoot a dog.  But that dog wasn't this lawyer's dog, it was someone else's.  So he said my father in law was mad about it, yet my father in law is the one that told my husband when a young boy to shoot a dog that was after their chickens.  But this story was so off and untrue, especially the part about hiding money under the mattress.  But it sure didn't make my husband look good, made him look like a dog killer.  So embarrassing.  

Edited by Tacenda

I had a cousin in law who killed himself (he was a cop, and shot himself in the head in his basement and his wife and kids found him and got to deal with all of that) and at the funeral one of his best friends went on and on about what a good guy he was and how he went out of his way to spend time with the friend's son and that kind of stuff.  He spent like 15 minutes on the topic.

The problem was that his kids were there listening to the speech, and their dad never spent much time with them at all. He was always gone hunting and camping and fishing with his friends and he never invited his own kids along. 

People can really say stupid stuff at funerals. 

1 hour ago, strappinglad said:

Gotta wonder why she brought a gun to the funeral at all. 

I know, due to my former profession I am always carrying. But (as you said) why at a funeral? What was going through the wife's mind that she felt the need to arm herself for her last goodbye? Soon here in Gerogia you will be able to carry at Church, but who would feel the need? What a world?? 

1 hour ago, Pa Pa said:

I know, due to my former profession I am always carrying. But (as you said) why at a funeral? What was going through the wife's mind that she felt the need to arm herself for her last goodbye? Soon here in Gerogia you will be able to carry at Church, but who would feel the need? What a world?? 

What if terrorists had attacked the funeral?

On January 22, 2016 at 1:15 AM, sunstoned said:

It sounds like the woman was in a unstable state.  Of course she was dealing with the loss of her partner.  It does make you wonder what was said that could have upset her to the point that she would pull a gun.

Not to mention, Wards via the Bishop get with the family and to select all speakers. Knowing the times I have done it, it was usually the friends of of the family and the Bishop who presides.

10 hours ago, SeekerB said:

Funerals can be unusual. My Son-in-law died recently after almost 10 years of marriage to my daughter.  I don't even know who the person was that his family talked about for over an hour, it sure wasn't him. 

I have a huge hang up about my future funeral, do not want one.  People will need to make something up for me too.  

2 hours ago, Jude2 said:

When my husband's uncle died the Bishop kept going on and on about how much he loved animals, he really loved animals.........he really loved his animals.

Not much else to say i'm afraid. 

Hopefully he was just not trying to put a positive spin on confessions of bestiality. ;) 

On 1/21/2016 at 11:47 AM, bluebell said:

I had a cousin in law who killed himself (he was a cop, and shot himself in the head in his basement and his wife and kids found him and got to deal with all of that) and at the funeral one of his best friends went on and on about what a good guy he was and how he went out of his way to spend time with the friend's son and that kind of stuff.  He spent like 15 minutes on the topic.

The problem was that his kids were there listening to the speech, and their dad never spent much time with them at all. He was always gone hunting and camping and fishing with his friends and he never invited his own kids along. 

People can really say stupid stuff at funerals. 

The whitewashing of people's lives at death seems so odd to me. Logically you would think that when they are dead you can start saying the things you couldn't when they were alive.

I wish they were more like one of John Cleese's eulogies:

He has ceased to be, bereft of life, he rests in peace, he has kicked the bucket, hopped the twig, bit the dust, snuffed it, breathed his last, and gone to meet the Great Head of Light Entertainment in the sky, and I guess that we’re all thinking how sad it is that a man of such talent, such capability and kindness, of such intelligence should now be so suddenly spirited away at the age of only forty-eight, before he’d achieved many of the things of which he was capable, and before he’d had enough fun.

Well, I feel that I should say, “Nonsense. Good riddance to him, the freeloading *******! I hope he fries. ”

• 3 weeks later...

Two funeral stories:

A close relative of mine was a stake president stricken with cancer.  He planned out his last days and made sure his entire family know that he did not want a funeral, just a brief graveside service with the family and then drop him in.  They all promised.   He died.  An apostle found out about his plans and scotched them.  Big funeral.

My ward has a large cemetery in its boundaries here in California.  When I was a bishop long ago, often the cemetery owner (who also had a mortuary) would tell the family members that the local Mormon bishop would preach a burial sermon for free.  I guess the local protestants demanded a fee or a gratuity.  I did many of them.  People would show up in gang attire, flip flops, shorts, etc. and etc.

On Tuesday, February 02, 2016 at 3:35 PM, The Nehor said:

The whitewashing of people's lives at death seems so odd to me. Logically you would think that when they are dead you can start saying the things you couldn't when they were alive. ...

Well, I feel that I should say, “Nonsense. Good riddance to him, the freeloading *******! I hope he fries. ”

So you’re the one! 

One person attending the funeral said the woman did not approve of something the speaker said about her husband. 

[/quote]

I have never felt a funeral was for the deceased, but for the living.  

I appreciate the Crockett's story of the stake president that just wanted a simple graveside service with the family and then drop him in the ground.  When I came into the world only my immediate family - my mom and dad - were present and really cared about what was happening.  I would think my exit should be the same allowing my children to remain and cherish their lives and the times we shared together while I am embraced by my mom and dad once again.  

Fanfare and being the center of attention have never been motivators for me and I have always felt them to be burdens rather than anything else.  I appreciate the quiet departure of slipping into the beyond.  It behooves me to let friends and family know that they have been loved, admired, respected prior to the unknown date my number is called and I am allowed to depart this mortal life. 

I feel like you do.  I hope my family honors my wishes of no funeral but only a graveside.  Definitely drop me in the ground in a way that my body will decompose with dirt.  I'll be angry if money is spent on a casket that will just rust.  I've seen things like this.  

• 1 month later...

I want to be cremated. I don't like the idea of worms/maggots growing in and coming out of my decaying flesh until they eat it all to the bones and then gradually what's left of my flesh and my bones turn to dust. Just burn it all up at once in a flash and then scatter the dust over my yard.  Just make sure I am dead, that my spirit has left my body, before you do that. Okay? 

Assuming translation is out of the question,  of course.