Seriously No Politics ×

Are some more sensitive to the spirit than others?

With the new Star Wars movie now out in theatres, I have Star Wars on the brain.  So I apologize for being geeky. 

In the movie series, there are certain people who are more sensitive to the great mystical energy field known as the Force.  Not just anybody can be a jedi.  Is it the same way with sensitivity to the Spirit?  Are there some people who have greater access to being guided by the Holy Ghost than others?  Or am I looking for an excuse as to why some people are so much more spiritually in-tune than I am?

'Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly. Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father’s name, they bear witness of me. But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me'.

I do think some are more sensitive to the Spirit naturally. I have seen this in my children. However, like with anything, you can increase your sensitivity. A lot of people say they can't sing well, but I've seen that if they desire to sing they can be taught to sing at least better if not not well. 

I think it is important to recognize also how our sensitivity to the Spirit may be manifest as well. I found this with each of my companion's on my mission. 

Edited by Rain

Apostle Bruce R McConkie taught that just as we will take with us the spiritual knowledge and talents we have gained in this life into the post-resurrection realm we will inherit, so too we bring with us into mortality the spiritual talents and aptitudes we gained as spirits in the pre-earth life. The Lord taught Abraham those sprits who were noble and great in the preexistence are foreordained to become the rulers of his kingdom on earth. 

While the belief that there were differening degrees of righteousness, faithfulness and spiritual sensitivity demonstrated in the pre-earth life seems to grate on the feelings of some of the more liberally-minded members of the Church (they seem to want to believe all spirits were equally valiant and spiritually perceptive in the preexistence), the fact is the scriptures teach otherwise. And why not, for it is obvious that no two human beings are exactly alike in spiritual talents and abilities here on earth.

But here comes the wonderful part: Because of the great equalizer known as the atonement of Christ, those who would love to increase their spiritual gifts and talents may do so by exercising faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. The Lord promises us he has the power to transform our spiritual weaknesses into spiritual strengths if we will but humble ourselves before him and plead for his divine aid. At any particular point in time we may have a quantifiable degree of spiritual talents and grace, but we don't have to be stuck in that place if we really want to improve and change. The Lord transformed the desperately wicked Alma the younger into one of the greatest of all prophets, and he can do the same for any of us as long as we come down into the very depths of humility and exercise a particle of faith.

2 hours ago, Rivers said:

With the new Star Wars movie now out in theatres, I have Star Wars on the brain.  So I apologize for being geeky. 

In the movie series, there are certain people who are more sensitive to the great mystical energy field known as the Force.  Not just anybody can be a jedi.  Is it the same way with sensitivity to the Spirit?  Are there some people who have greater access to being guided by the Holy Ghost than others?  Or am I looking for an excuse as to why some people are so much more spiritually in-tune than I am?

Everyone has the light of Christ until / unless they allow the wicked one to take it away (D&C 93:38-39). Everyone has spiritual gifts (Moroni 10:17), but they must be willing to use and develop them. We must not judge others by the apparent impediments they may have, whether they be inherited, traditional or otherwise imposed impediments beyond their control. All we can rightly do is use to the light we have and exercise faith.

I think it means that spiritual sensitivity is not initially inherent to any one religious tradition, but that it originated through our faith in the pre-mortal world and carried through to our mortal experience. It's like there is a large window concealed by the veil of mortality and forgetfulness with only a sliver of light showing through. That is like the light of Christ and it's function to light our way with conscience and spirituality. When one is baptized by proper authority and likewise receives the gift of the Holy Ghost the opening for that light to enter is greatly enlarged.

2 hours ago, Sanpitch said:

This applies to other faiths also.  So what does it mean?  Some feel the spirit very strong.

“The Spirit” can refer to several different things such as the light of Christ; the power, gift or companionship of the Holy Ghost; the personage of the Holy Ghost; the Spirit of the Lord, etc. All people of any faith can have the light of Christ, feel the power of the Holy Ghost, and enjoy whatever measure of spiritual gift the Lord wills them to have, but only by proper authority can they receive the gift and companionship Holy Ghost or receive the Holy Spirit of Promise.

The most common spiritual manifestation among all faiths would be the light of Christ or the human conscience, https://www.lds.org/topics/light-of-christ?lang=eng. It is often confused with the Holy Ghost because of the spiritual nature of its effect on helping us discern right from wrong, advancing moral knowledge and for doing good. As a spiritual gift, the light of Christ is also confused with the gifts of the Spirit. Faiths systems are built on these benefits, but because of the human tendency to hold on to contradicting tradition, sin or inherited traits, they lack the attendant involvement of the Holy Ghost and the fullness of the gospel.

Having not felt the Spirit for three years due to medication, I view my own experience as demonstrating at least one reason why spiritual sensitivity varies between people outside of worthiness or willingness to accept God's direction.

Our physical vehicle holds a number of attributes that may contribute to being able to hear or see the Spirit in our lives or impede and even block it.  Those whose bodies are easily over stimulated or depressed have obstacles to overcome while those who are able to still the internal noise and shield themselves from external distraction have a gift that sets the stage.  The good news is that many can learn the ability to be still.  The bad news is that many don't care enough to try or even to make use of the skill when it is inherent in them.

Edited by Calm

I would say yes. I feel the spirit very strong, I did not start out that way but after years of prayer, study, obeying, and teaching, I feel it even stronger.

my wife is able to feel when I and others have the spirit, she says it's a calming feeling.

to learn how the spirit works sand feels is a worthy goal for all.