Seriously No Politics ×

Would you want to know if the church actually wasn't true?

23 hours ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

You don't think I've tried that? 

Tried implies you've given up. If you want to know why stop seeking it until you get an answer?

Don't worry about the church being true. Find out whether the Book of Mormon is true. Follow Moroni's exhortation. And you can find out for yourself. Moroni doesn't tell us just to ask. There is quite an effort to it.

Look at Martin Harris. He has to humble himself quite a bit before he received the witness he was seeking. And dont forget to believe the Lord can reveal it.

When I received my witness I decided I needed to have faith in Christ. I thought about it enough and decided it was quite logical to believe that God could make Himself known to me in some matter if He is who the scriptures claim He is. I also made a promise to the Lord that i would follow Him no matter where He lead me.

After that I put in a lot of work. Studying the scriptures for myself and praying daily. The toughest part is always waiting on the Lord. I highly recommend studying that topic. In due time the Lord did reveal to me that it's true.

Study the Book of Mormon and come closer to Christ. Apply what you are learning. The Lord will reveal Himself if you refuse to give up. He keeps His promises.

6 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

Tried implies you've given up. If you want to know why stop seeking it until you get an answer?

Don't worry about the church being true. Find out whether the Book of Mormon is true. Follow Moroni's exhortation. And you can find out for yourself. Moroni doesn't tell us just to ask. There is quite an effort to it.

Look at Martin Harris. He has to humble himself quite a bit before he received the witness he was seeking. And dont forget to believe the Lord can reveal it.

When I received my witness I decided I needed to have faith in Christ. I thought about it enough and decided it was quite logical to believe that God could make Himself known to me in some matter if He is who the scriptures claim He is. I also made a promise to the Lord that i would follow Him no matter where He lead me.

After that I put in a lot of work. Studying the scriptures for myself and praying daily. The toughest part is always waiting on the Lord. I highly recommend studying that topic. In due time the Lord did reveal to me that it's true.

Study the Book of Mormon and come closer to Christ. Apply what you are learning. The Lord will reveal Himself if you refuse to give up. He keeps His promises.

Well that's good since I'm reading the BOM now. I just got to 2nd Nephi.

22 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Now, in their NDEs who told these two women that all religion is manmade, anyway?  Some authority?  If no-one told them, then how did they know this?  And on top of everything else, these two NDEs confirm wonderfully what Paul wrote about charity (the pure love of Christ).  Personally, I think they jumped to conclusions about religion.

I would be surprised to discover through an NDE that the Church is true.  Such an NDE would effectively chop my free agency off at the knees because now I would have faith no longer, but would know.  The Lord doesn't do Brother-of-Jared-style epiphanies very often, for just that reason.

Video,

I mentioned the wrong name the other day ... it was David B. Haigth who had the NDE that I mentioned of which you should read and use as a standard in judging other NDE's.  Remember we suggested most are garbage.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1989/10/the-sacrament-and-the-sacrifice?lang=eng

BRM's last talk and this talk impressed me and I have always remember as a standard of which I would expect all Special Witnesses of Christ to testify.

I have re-read this talk for the first time in over 15 years and a couple of things strike me.  One of which he never once mentions the Church.

I wish good Mormons could separate themselves from declaring, maintaining, wanting "The Church" to be true.

Video, please take the time to read the talk and from here forward drop all this NDE nonsense.

5 minutes ago, salgare said:

Video,

I mentioned the wrong name the other day ... it was David B. Haigth who had the NDE that I mentioned of which you should read and use as a standard in judging other NDE's.  Remember we suggested most are garbage.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1989/10/the-sacrament-and-the-sacrifice?lang=eng

BRM's last talk and this talk impressed me and I have always remember as a standard of which I would expect all Special Witnesses of Christ to testify.

I have re-read this talk for the first time in over 15 years and a couple of things strike me.  One of which he never once mentions the Church.

I wish good Mormons could separate themselves from declaring, maintaining, wanting "The Church" to be true.

Video, please take the time to read the talk and from here forward drop all this NDE nonsense.

I'll read the talk, but there is an LDS woman named Kim Rives who had a NDE that was very LDS friendly though. Then again she wrote a book, but is it that we shouldn't believe any NDEs, yet believe visions of 19th century people?

1 minute ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

I'll read the talk, but there is an LDS woman named Kim Rives who had a NDE that was very LDS friendly though. Then again she wrote a book, but is it that we shouldn't believe any NDEs, yet believe visions of 19th century people?

Video,

I believe there is much money to be made from Mormonism.  At some point there is a line in the sand where it turns to Priestcrafts.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/gs/priestcraft?lang=eng

Playing to the biggest weakness of Mormonism (basing major decisions on feelings) Utah Mormons are notoriously fleeced.

But carry on, I'm done warning you.

3 hours ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

Being friendly to LDS does not make it true. People do that because they can seek books to LDS people. I remember as a child getting a whole Sunday School lesson straight out of "Embraced by the Light".

On 1/6/2016 at 9:46 PM, The Nehor said:

Being friendly to LDS does not make it true. People do that because they can seek books to LDS people. I remember as a child getting a whole Sunday School lesson straight out of "Embraced by the Light".

Oh, horrors.

But I've seen similar things on other topics.

It goes with the territory.

On 1/6/2016 at 10:46 PM, The Nehor said:

I vaguely remember something like that in a class setting also.  

On January 6, 2016 at 10:46 PM, The Nehor said:

"Taken in by the Light" you mean.  I remember when so many members were reading that book like scripture.