Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
VideoGameJunkie

How to dispose of temple garments?

Recommended Posts

Are you supposed to cut out the symbols and burn them, or can you just throw them away in the trash? I don't trust myself around fire and my old garments are unwearable and need to go. What is the proper way of disposal?

Share this post


Link to post

I cut out the symbols and trash them

Share this post


Link to post

Cut out and destroy the symbols (I just cut them apart). Cut the rest of the garment so it is not recognizable as a garment. Then you can do what you like with it. My temple president said at that point you can use what is left as cleaning rags if you want though I never have. I just trash it.

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Cut out and destroy the symbols (I just cut them apart). Cut the rest of the garment so it is not recognizable as a garment. Then you can do what you like with it. My temple president said at that point you can use what is left as cleaning rags if you want though I never have. I just trash it.

Yep. As a temple worker I have listened to the talk given by presidents to the newly endowed often. You can even just remove the threads to make the symbols no longer symbolic, cut them apart, etc. After that the old garment can just be used as a rag.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

Yep. As a temple worker I have listened to the talk given by presidents to the newly endowed often. You can even just remove the threads to make the symbols no longer symbolic, cut them apart, etc. After that the old garment can just be used as a rag.

Who said you can separate the spiritual importance of the garments by just removing the symbols?

Thanks,
Jim

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, theplains said:

Who said you can separate the spiritual importance of the garments by just removing the symbols?

Thanks,
Jim

There's nothing really spiritual about the garments themselves; just the sacredness of what they represent when intact and worn by the member. The symbols are destroyed to prevent any non-endowed person who does not understand their significance from getting them and disrespecting them.

 From the CHI:

"To dispose of worn-out temple garments, members should cut out and destroy the marks. Members then cut up the remaining fabric so it cannot be identified as a garment. Once the marks are removed, the fabric is not considered sacred. To dispose of worn-out temple ceremonial clothing, members should destroy the clothing by cutting it up so the original use cannot be recognized"

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...