Seriously No Politics ×

Where Are The Protests For The Syrian/iraqi Refugees?

rodheadlee

so perhaps we should accept any immigrants to the USA at all? If we see someone dying on the streets, should we help him?

What if he is a criminal? What if he has Ebola?

So that you do not misunderstand.  My question was and is "What is unChristlike about being careful?".  Please answer the question or do not answer at all.  Please do not try to attribute meanings not intended.  It is a simple question.

Edited by ERayR

I agree that we shouldn't, and we shouldn't close our doors to illegal immigrants from Mexico and central America either.

Everybody is talking about the Hell in Syria, but nobody talks about the Hell that our neighbors are living.

1. 43 Mexican college students were killed by the cartel, and nobody knows that. 

2. France was attacked by ISIS, the First Presidency was quick to issue a statement, but didn't say anthing about the 43 innocent college students.

Many people are afraid of the Syrian refugees because they think some of them are terrorists. I don't know why America fears terrorists more than traffic accidents, disease, and pollution. Nobody talks about self-driving cars, medical research, and the environment.

Yes the war with the Gaddianton Robbers is very bad down there. I just returned from Central America and Mexico. It's not bad in Panama,and Costa Rica, We skipped Nicaragua  and spent a month in El Salvador but you couldn't pay me to stop in Honduras and Guatemala. We traveled well offshore. Mexico I love but you must be very careful where you travel. We spent 30 months there and only heard machine-gun fire once.

World wide, drunk drivers kill more people than terrorist. I'd like to put some numbers to that but it's a hard stat to come by. 28 people per day die from alcohol influenced wrecks in the US alone. All 178 countries figure 40% of their road deaths are alcohol related.

So that you do not misunderstand.  My question was and is "What is unChristlike about being careful?".  Please answer the question or do not answer at all.  Please do not try to attribute meanings not intended.  It is a simple question.

I am not doing that. I G2G

TheSkepticChristian, on 22 Nov 2015 - 4:45 PM, said:snapback.png

so perhaps we should accept any immigrants to the USA at all? If we see someone dying on the streets, should we help him?

What if he is a criminal? What if he has Ebola?

Your reply to my simple question "What is unChristlike about being careful?" intimations that I am anti-immigration, that we should let people die in the streets without helping them under different scenarios so yes you are doing that.  If you want to answer my simple question do so otherwise . . . .

Agreed. A wiser course of action would be to cut it off at the root. Dear Leaders need to shoe the wisdom and kutspa to lay ones political promises asside, made to win an election and remove the threat that is causing the issue in the first place. Remove Isis and you wont have any refugees.

Yes but the refugees need a place to stay while the war rages.

I'm all for helping refugees. But I don't see anything wrong with having a process in place to do it prudently.

Yes, as I understand it we do already have a process. The thing that has me down is the comments to the news articles across the nation from San Francisco to DC to NYC. There are suggestions of registering all Muslims, much hate being spewed and suggestions of genocide from my fellow American citizens. The candidates for the presidency of the nation are pandering to the the fear and it's down right embarrassing.

When some of them come to a concert where you are attending or to restaurant where you are dining or some other place you are at and leave more than 100 dead in their wake, maybe you or some of your family then perhaps you will understand.

CFR that it was refugees who did the bombing. I think that's been refuted over and over. 

CFR that it was refugees who did the bombing. I think that's been refuted over and over. 

Please read my post again.  I do not see where I said it was refugees.  It has been affirmed that ISIS has imbeded terrorist operatives into the refugees.  Is it unreasonable to be careful and attempt to discern whether any are in any given group of refugees before we turn them loose in our communities?

Did the actual bombing or organized it?

I haven't watched updates for awhile, but I thought one of those killed was a refugee (or at least used the refugee path to travel) and when I went looking for info on that, came across this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/12006892/International-manhunt-underway-after-French-police-let-Paris-attacks-suspect-slip-through-their-fingers.html

Is this not accurate (serious question)?

Not saying the bombing was all a result of refugee (or fake refugees) involvement. From what I heard it was dominantly homegrown.

Edited by Calm

Please read my post again.  I do not see where I said it was refugees.  It has been affirmed that ISIS has imbeded terrorist operatives into the refugees.  Is it unreasonable to be careful and attempt to discern whether any are in any given group of refugees before we turn them loose in our communities?

TheSkepticChristian, on 22 Nov 2015 - 10:45 AM, said:

snapback.png

Many people are afraid of the Syrian refugees because they think some of them are terrorists. I don't know why America fears terrorists more than traffic accidents, disease, and pollution. Nobody talks about self-driving cars, medical research, and the environment.

To which you replied:

ERayR, on 22 Nov 2015 - 3:31 PM, said:

snapback.png

When some of them come to a concert where you are attending or to restaurant where you are dining or some other place you are at and leave more than 100 dead in their wake, maybe you or some of your family then perhaps you will understand.

Are you saying that you were only referring to the terrorists?  The implication is that you needed to respond to indicate that Skeptic didn't understand the fear of letting in refugees. We all already understand the risk of letting in terrorists.  

This is the most recent article I could find from what I think is an impartial news source.  

...the perpetrators identified so far all have been European Union nationals, EU officials said. 

I rarely agree with you but I agree with you on this one.  What is happening is the politics of fear.  The terrorists win when we operate on fear.  I am happy to welcome those in need into the USA even if there is a small risk some terrorist may sneak in with them.

We live in a culture of fear. Turn on any news station and the stories that lead are the stories of death, destruction, mayhem, crime, etc. Of course, these reported events are not indicative of the society that we live in, but these stories captivate Americans, thus increasing viewership, which increases advertising revenues for the news outlets.

It has come to a point where the common person on the street is convinced that we live in a more violent and crime-filled society than we did 30-40 years ago. This is despite the overwhelming data that clearly shows that rates of violent crimes have decreased dramatically since the 1970s and 1980s...across the board, crimes such as murder, rape, etc. have decreased exponentially, but if you were to listen to the news, one would think that violent crime has increased exponentially since the era when they were kids; simply untrue.

The media thrives on fear, don't believe the hype.

We live in a culture of fear. Turn on any news station and the stories that lead are the stories of death, destruction, mayhem, crime, etc. Of course, these reported events are not indicative of the society that we live in, but these stories captivate Americans, thus increasing viewership, which increases advertising revenues for the news outlets.

It has come to a point where the common person on the street is convinced that we live in a more violent and crime-filled society than we did 30-40 years ago. This is despite the overwhelming data that clearly shows that rates of violent crimes have decreased dramatically since the 1970s and 1980s...across the board, crimes such as murder, rape, etc. have decreased exponentially, but if you were to listen to the news, one would think that violent crime has increased exponentially since the era when they were kids; simply untrue.

The media thrives on fear, don't believe the hype.

I appreciate your intent, but the reality of today is that murders have been increasing significantly in 2015 according to the NY Times and several other leading newspapers. The point you were making remains accurate; compared to murder rates of 1970, they have decreased significantly.  

On another matter, the fear of Islam gets a lot of press.  Many proclaim that there is a high degree of Islamophobia; that Islam is strictly a religion of peace and any of the activity seen among radicals is foreign.  I would invite each individual who makes this claim to study the writings of Muhammad, and the four rightly guided caliphs:  Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman, and Ali.  What we see from Daesh or ISIS today is found in the history of the evolution of Islam from its beginning.  This is not a religion that began by peaceful preachers being sent into the world.  It was expanded by the sword.

I don't think radical is the term to use for these individuals, but rather Jihadists. In Arabic, the word jihÄd means "to strive, to apply oneself, to struggle, to persevere".  You will find two schools of thought on this term - the conquering of self in service to Allah and the conquering of others in defense of Allah and to expand the Ummah or the community of Islam.  

Edited by Storm Rider

To which you replied:

Are you saying that you were only referring to the terrorists?  The implication is that you needed to respond to indicate that Skeptic didn't understand the fear of letting in refugees. We all already understand the risk of letting in terrorists.  

This is the most recent article I could find from what I think is an impartial news source.  

...the perpetrators identified so far all have been European Union nationals, EU officials said. 

Skeptic said:  Many people are afraid of the Syrian refugees because they think some of them are terrorists.

Some of them are.  See post # 37

Edited by ERayR

self-driving cars will end traffic accidents. What about the war on disease(medical research)? Nobody talks about t

Sorry SC... there was a news report of an accident involving a self-driving car... about a week or so ago...

GG

I appreciate your intent, but the reality of today is that murders have been increasing significantly in 2015 according to the NY Times and several other leading newspapers. The point you were making remains accurate; compared to murder rates of 1970, they have decreased significantly.  

On another matter, the fear of Islam gets a lot of press.  Many proclaim that there is a high degree of Islamophobia; that Islam is strictly a religion of peace and any of the activity seen among radicals is foreign.  I would invite each individual who makes this claim to study the writings of Muhammad, and the four rightly guided caliphs:  Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman, and Ali.  What we see from Daesh or ISIS today is found in the history of the evolution of Islam from its beginning.  This is not a religion that began by peaceful preachers being sent into the world.  It was expanded by the sword.

I don't think radical is the term to use for these individuals, but rather Jihadists. In Arabic, the word jihÄd means "to strive, to apply oneself, to struggle, to persevere".  You will find two schools of thought on this term - the conquering of self in service to Allah and the conquering of others in defense of Allah and to expand the Ummah or the community of Islam.  

I am not going to pretend Islam is a "religion of peace". It can be but it depends on the practitioner.

Still, the fear-mongering in the United States is insane. We have been convinced we need to invade and occupy multiple other nations to keep ourselves "safe" due to one attack. There have not been any significant attacks since. You are many many times more likely to die of obesity then you are to die due to an Islamic extremist trying to kill you yet we are committed to fight terrorists everywhere when we would save more lives by shutting down fast food restaurants. We have weird priorities.

Sorry SC... there was a news report of an accident involving a self-driving car... about a week or so ago...

GG

Self-driving cars will not end auto accidents. The question is, when they are fully developed, is do they cause more or less injuries and fatalities then human-operated cars. In the past when cars first became common there was a real debate over whether the death toll from auto accidents was worth it. We have decided they are. I mostly agree.

Self-driving cars will not end auto accidents. The question is, when they are fully developed, is do they cause more or less injuries and fatalities then human-operated cars. In the past when cars first became common there was a real debate over whether the death toll from auto accidents was worth it. We have decided they are. I mostly agree.

Perhaps not entirely, but self-driving cars will make our streets safer, that is if everyone had a self-driving car. Google tested self-driving cars for thousands of miles, the Atlantic reports, "Google’s fleet of self-driving cars has learned this lesson first hand. Its cars have driven in autonomous mode for more than 1 million miles since 2009. In all that time, they’ve been involved in 16 accidents through August—none of which were caused by the self-driving car" . I wonder why people talk so much about terrorists when drunk drivers are far more likely to kill us. 

Skeptic said:  Many people are afraid of the Syrian refugees because they think some of them are terrorists.

we should accept the refugees because our country ruined Iraq. The people that are against accepting the refugees are the same people that wanted a war with Iraq. 

Edited by TheSkepticChristian

Looks like turkey just shot down a Russian plane. This may increase the scope of conflict and create more refugees.

Oddly enough I was expecting something like this to happen. I don't know if it was a revelation or what but I've been thinking for a while that Russia is going to shoot down someone they shouldn't or be shot down by someone they shouldn't and the conflict would spread.

A NATO Ally fighting with Russia is not a good thing. Still haven't seen how they will react. Hopefully it will turn out to not be a big deal.

Looks like turkey just shot down a Russian plane. This may increase the scope of conflict and create more refugees.

Oddly enough I was expecting something like this to happen. I don't know if it was a revelation or what but I've been thinking for a while that Russia is going to shoot down someone they shouldn't or be shot down by someone they shouldn't and the conflict would spread.

A NATO Ally fighting with Russia is not a good thing. Still haven't seen how they will react. Hopefully it will turn out to not be a big deal.

Yeah, I just saw that. All the players for Armageddon are in town, except China. ISIS managed to decapitate a Chinese citizen last week. They promise retribution.