Seriously No Politics ×

Byu And The Real Mormon Mission Advantage

JAHS

"There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and opposing college football coaches citing BYU's age difference as an advantage.

The day-to-day lives that missionaries lead might not seem like they have anything to do with football -- but in fact, everything that missionaries do helps them be the best football players on the planet."  :rolleyes:

http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/byu-football/2015/9/19/9336023/byu-secrets-behind-mormon-lds-missions-athletes

Edited by JAHS

Maturity wise I think missions help.  How many people can come back after two years and compete on the same level right away-not very many.  I sure didn`t and I ended my athletic career right before I left on my mission.  

I was on my college tennis team before I left on my mission. When I got home the other players were so far advanced that I could not get myself back to the status I was before I left. 

... everything that missionaries do helps them be the best football players on the planet."  

According to Gospel Principles on page 141, LDS prophets have told us that we should not
attend sporting events on the Sabbath. Hopefully these football players will keep this in mind
before joining the NFL.  Or maybe the LDS prophets exempt players who play (some call it
a job or profession) on Sunday and tithe of their salaries.

Regards,
Jim

According to Gospel Principles on page 141, LDS prophets have told us that we should not
attend sporting events on the Sabbath. Hopefully these football players will keep this in mind
before joining the NFL.  Or maybe the LDS prophets exempt players who play (some call it
a job or profession) on Sunday and tithe of their salaries.

Regards,
Jim

LDS prophets don't "exempt" people for anything. We are responsible for our own conduct and salvation. The decision about something like this is totally up to the individual.  LDS athletes such as Steve Young, Danny Ainge and Dale Murphy chose to play Sundays, reasoning they could be ambassadors for the church. They refer to passages in the scriptures that support their choices -- where the Lord speaks of "being a light to the world and positive influence on others." And perhaps they’re right. Their associations with their fellow team mates and fans has probably been responsible for bringing many people into the Church. "The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:" (Mark 2: 27) 

I don`t think most people are doing college athletes thinking they will go into the pros.  If not a few competitions usually bring that into focus.  For me, I thought I was a good athlete and I received scholarship money to do athletics.  Later academic performance paid much better than sports ever did.  I got married after coming back from my mission.  A job, school and marriage made me not nearly as interested in getting back into the kind of shape that would have been required.  

• 4 weeks later...

To get to and maintain a college athlete level of performance takes not only talent, but hard work and dedication, not to mention a lot of time.  Returning from a mission is almost a start over for most athletes.  There is also the desire to marry and start a family and finishing up an education.  

One of my greatest regrets is that I helped a fellow missionary who was living in my apartment to gain weight and get into shape so that he would be better prepared to play offensive line for the utes when returned from his mission. My (our) efforts were successful. The utes went on to beat BYU 2 out of the 3 years he played.

Oh that an angel would sound a trump and cause the great mountains to fall upon me and hide this great sin.

Maturity wise I think missions help.  How many people can come back after two years and compete on the same level right away-not very many.  I sure didn`t and I ended my athletic career right before I left on my mission.  

They may come back more mature, but also with different priorities.