Seriously No Politics ×

Reason For Mental Illness And Suicide In Utah

hagoth7

Correlation is not causation. California outside of certain pockets tends to vote red, but we have a relatively low suicide rate.

I know, I said, "I am not making any conclusions about the specific reason."

However,California is solid blue according to Gallup. It is true that solid blue states have a low suicide rate. The explanation? I don't know.

l4l0prifakss2p0ywraxqq.png.

m6345qsf.gif

Edited by TheSkepticChristian

I know, I said, "I am not making any conclusions about the specific reason."

However,California is solid blue according to Gallup. It is true that solid blue states have a low suicide rate. The explanation? I don't know.

l4l0prifakss2p0ywraxqq.png.

m6345qsf.gif

SEE http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/2004_election_county-by-county//

SEE https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_elections,_2014#/media/File:US_House_2014.svg

Edited by thesometimesaint

Nobody went out to vote in the 2014 elections. The red does not represent most of the population in California. Most of the population is in large cities, Los Angeles, San Francisco. 

I don't know the reason why the data shows that, see post 52.. Perhaps the laws? Perhaps the way of thinking? Perhaps less Evangelicals? Perhaps the altitude? 

Nobody went out to vote in the 2014 elections. The red does not represent most of the population in California. Most of the population is in large cities, Los Angeles, San Francisco. 

I don't know the reason why the data shows that, see post 52.. Perhaps the laws? Perhaps the way of thinking? Perhaps less Evangelicals? Perhaps the altitude? 

I voted along with 36.4% of the registered voters. We need to do better. I'm not nobody.

San Francisco ranks fourth by population in California. San Diego is far larger and is far more conservative.

SEE https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_California_cities_by_population

I'm not going to get into the politics or religion of suicide. Other than to reaffirm that correlation is not causation.

I voted along with 36.4% of the registered voters.

That is what I meant. 

San Francisco ranks fourth by population in California. San Diego is far larger and is far more conservative.

Still, California as a whole (the population, not the land) is a solid blue according to Gallup 

Other than to reaffirm that correlation is not causation.

and I said that I agree 

That is what I meant. 

Still, California as a whole (the population, not the land) is a solid blue according to Gallup 

and I said that I agree 

It has nothing to do with the land. It has everything to do with who votes. As I said San Diego has more population than San Francisco and is more conservative. Los Angeles is the elephant in living room. It tends to distort general population midterm voting trends. Just remember that for better or worse California gave the world Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan. 

still no explanation

Why do solid blue states (nine states) have the lowest suicide rate?

l4l0prifakss2p0ywraxqq.png

Suicide rate by state

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6345a10.htm

http://mic.com/articles/104096/there-s-a-suicide-epidemic-in-utah-and-one-neuroscientist-thinks-he-knows-why

United States, 2012

m6345qsf.gif

It is function of numbers. The fewer of any object the less it will get used. There are about 310 million firearms in private hands in this country. They will get used more often than if there were say if there were just 100 million.

That, my friend, is a tautologous statement. The fewer automobiles are on the road, the few automobile accidents there will be. The fewer mosquitos are flying about, the fewer mosquito bites there will be. The fewer cows in the pasture, the less milk.

The argument that making firearms less available will lead to fewer suicides by firearm less frequent is a tautology. Of course it is true, in the same sense that the less often it rains, the less often you will have to carry your umbrella.

The strawman is where you keep stating that I want to ban all firearms. I've never said that.

No, the strawman is that you keep saying that I keep saying that you want to ban all firearms. No, you've never said that, and I've never said you said that. CFR that I've said you want to ban all firearms.

I have consistently said we need to find a way to keep them out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them. I've already suggested a few. Stricter controls of who may possess them, better training in their appropriate use, more mental health services.

I simply would like an explanation as to why women attempt suicide far more than men, but men succeed at suicide far more than women. Could it possibly be that women tend to use less effective means(drugs) while men tend to use more effective means(firearms)?

I agree completely that we need to keep firearms out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them. I don't know why you keep insisting I believe otherwise. You think I want more psychopaths to be issued concealed carry permits?

As far as an explanation for why women attempt more often but men succeed more often, I don't want to say something as if I knew something about it, because I don't. However, PLEASE read this article in Wikipedia on Gender differences in suicide.

A salient paragraph in that article is this one:

The reported difference in suicide rates for males and females is partially a result of the methods used by each gender. Although females attempt suicide at a higher rate, they are more likely to use methods that are less immediately lethal. Males frequently complete suicide via high mortality actions such as hanging, carbon-monoxide poisoning, and firearms. This is in contrast to females, who tend to rely on drug overdosing.[15] While overdosing can be deadly, it is less immediate and therefore more likely to be caught before death occurs. In Europe, where the gender discrepancy is the greatest, a study found that the most frequent method of suicide among both genders was hanging; however, the use of hanging was significantly higher in males (54.3%) than in females (35.6%). The same study found that the second most common methods were firearms for men and poisoning for women.

But you should read the whole article.

And yes, suicidal people should not be permitted to have firearms. This won't stop them from committing suicide if they really want to, however.

FINALLY, you must stop believing that removing guns from suicidal people will not stop them from killing themselves. If they can't get a gun, they will kill themselves using some other method.

and I am still waiting for someone to explain post 38

You posted it, why would you want an explanation for it?

I do note that Hawaii and California have lower suicide rates than many other states. I've been to Hawaii, and I can tell you that it is much more difficult to be depressed there. It is too beautiful to be depressed there.

Otherwise I have no idea about post 38.

still no explanation

Why do solid blue states (nine states) have the lowest suicide rate?

l4l0prifakss2p0ywraxqq.png

Suicide rate by state

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6345a10.htm

http://mic.com/articles/104096/there-s-a-suicide-epidemic-in-utah-and-one-neuroscientist-thinks-he-knows-why

United States, 2012

m6345qsf.gif

Ooh!  Ooh!  I know! 

It's because in Blue states the liberals are content because the "right" (meaning "Left") people are in charge, and thus feel no need to kill themselves.  In Red states, the liberals are terribly depressed because the "right" (meaning "Right") people are in charge, and the depression ups the suicide rate.  Meanwhile, the conservatives are generally happier than liberals at all times, and thus do not kill themselves at the same rate as liberals.

Reference: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/11/conservatives-happier-liberal-countries_n_5797938.html

NOW, PLEASE I AM JUST JOKING AROUND AND I DON'T WANT TO START ANY POLITICAL DISCUSSION, SO JUST LAUGH AND LET IT GO!  :D