Seriously No Politics ×

What Two Religions Tell Us About The Modern Dating Crisis

JAHS

So what about a girl that is not attractive? Many LDS RM ignore the girls that are not attractive....

Are you suggesting this is somehow different than the rest of our culture?  If so, have you watched any TV or movies lately? How often does a truly unattractive woman get the hunky guy? (as opposed to an overweight or dorky man getting an attractive woman)?

Are you suggesting this is somehow different than the rest of our culture?  If so, have you watched any TV or movies lately? How often does a truly unattractive woman get the hunky guy? (as opposed to an overweight or dorky man getting an attractive woman)?

I watched the Terminator about 2 weeks ago. I don't expect my fellow LDS to be perfect, but I do expect LDS to be more Christian. I understand we do better than Catholics and Evangelicals, but they don't have the aid of the gift of the Holy Ghost, What about Tibetan Buddhists, Jews, Atheists, Hindus, and Jehovah's Witnesses? Are we doing better than them?   

So why did God create unattractive women? Why does God not help the brain of dorky men? Why is life so unfair? Why is it easier for attractive women to find good jobs and good husbands? Why is life easier for attractive women? 

and more importantly, why do most of us as sons and daughters of God care about the appearance? 

I am still a believing LDS, but my testimony is getting weaker, I hope I receive clear revelation soon before it is too late.  

Edited by TheSkepticChristian

What a terrible assumption, how do you know all of them don't care? 

"Studies of identical twins who have been raised apart show that genes have a strong influence on a person's weight. Overweight and obesity tend to run in families. Your chances of being overweight are greater if one or both of your parents are overweight or obese. Your genes also may affect the amount of fat you store in your body and where on your body you carry the extra fat" 

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/obe/causes

If they cared they could change it. You picked one of the few causes of extra weight on that list and trumpet it and leave out the others. Genetics do impact weight. So do things like diabetes and hormone deficiencies and several other conditions. I have such a condition. Studies show the difference to be about 20 pounds more then normal except for a few outlying conditions that are usually death sentences. You can blame 15-20 pounds on a disorder but when you are 250 lbs I am not buying it.

Back only 100 years ago someone weighing over 300 pounds could work in a carnival as a circus freak. Now I see people in that state all the time. Genetics is not to blame unless we all spontaneously mutated in the last few decades.

So what about a girl that is not attractive? Many LDS RM ignore the girls that are not attractive, the same problem existed in the 19th century, Heber C. Kimball said (according to Stanley P. Hirshson) "The brother missionaries have been in the habit of picking out the prettiest women for themselves before they get here, and bringing on the ugly ones for us" 

Why does God create some girls that are attractive and some girls that are not attractive? No offense because my girlfriend (from another city) is not that attractive, but I don't care. How do I know she is not very attractive? because I am the first guy that asked her on a date, the other guys simply ignored her. Not even for a single date!

Same with some LDS girls too, some girls are too picky, and are quick to reject a guy based on a prejudiced observation.

This is not an LDS problem. It is part of the human condition and has been forever. The unattractive and awkward have always been less successful. This applies to both genders.

I watched the Terminator about 2 weeks ago. I don't expect my fellow LDS to be perfect, but I do expect LDS to be more Christian. I understand we do better than Catholics and Evangelicals, but they don't have the aid of the gift of the Holy Ghost, What about Tibetan Buddhists, Jews, Atheists, Hindus, and Jehovah's Witnesses? Are we doing better than them?

I think so but only omniscience can answer that question so you should check with God.

So why did God create unattractive women? Why does God not help the brain of dorky men? Why is life so unfair? Why is it easier for attractive women to find good jobs and good husbands? Why is life easier for attractive women? 

and more importantly, why do most of us as sons and daughters of God care about the appearance? 

We care about appearance because appreciation of beauty is a godly attribute. I will hike for hours to see an amazing waterfall. I won't get out of bed to look at a dull landscape.

God created temporary inequality to see what we would do with it. See if the smart boast over the stupid, whether the clever will manipulate the simple, whether the attractive will mock the less attractive, whether the rich will oppress the poor.

Do not make too much of he advantages attractive people get. Many of them, particularly women, find themselves lost later on when their looks fade and the special treatment they thought was normal vanishes. I do not know what is wrong with "dorky men's brains". I suspect I could have been characterized that way in my teen years and I grew out of it, probably with a bit of God's help.

Take what you have and do what you can with it. In the next life all the imperfections of beauty, intellect, and emotion will be remedied and you will be left with the attributes you developed dealing with your weakness so make those good.

I am still a believing LDS, but my testimony is getting weaker, I hope I receive clear revelation soon before it is too late.

Most of your questions are 'why' questions. I do not want to discount the importance of such questions but it has been my experience that God does not feel compelled to answer such questions. Instead ask what he wants from you and what you need to do to improve your life and the lives of others. Once you are a fellow worker with God you start to get answers to the 'why' questions as blessings

Good luck and you have a prayer from me.

You can blame 15-20 pounds on a disorder but when you are 250 lbs I am not buying it.

I am not talking about obese girls, I agree that is too much. 

However, many RMs won't consider a girl that is 150 lbs. 

The article also says "Children adopt the habits of their parents. A child who has overweight parents who eat high-calorie foods and are inactive will likely become overweight too."

Which is unfair. 

God created temporary inequality to see what we would do with it. See if the smart boast over the stupid, whether the clever will manipulate the simple, whether the attractive will mock the less attractive, whether the rich will oppress the poor.

It is a good explanation, but it is easier for a rich LDS person to go to church, have a happy family, and endure to the end. 

This is not an LDS problem. It is part of the human condition and has been forever. The unattractive and awkward have always been less successful. This applies to both genders.

and it shouldn't be an LDS problem because we have the aid of the Gift of the Holy Ghost. I understand the world is wicked, but what about us? You just said that "God created temporary inequality to see what we would do with it."

Good luck and you have a prayer from me.

Thanks, I hope it works. 

I am not talking about obese girls, I agree that is too much. 

However, many RMs won't consider a girl that is 150 lbs.

I wish them luck. 

The article also says "Children adopt the habits of their parents. A child who has overweight parents who eat high-calorie foods and are inactive will likely become overweight too."

Which is unfair. 

Yes, but fortunately that can be overcome. I know a guy who came to college and was rather rotund (as was his entire family back home) but learned about nutrition and fixed the problem. Now his only problem is dealing with the comments from his family members about starving every time he goes home even though he is normal, his family are all obese and most are morbidly obese.

It is a good explanation, but it is easier for a rich LDS person to go to church, have a happy family, and endure to the end. 

Maybe, I have yet to see any proof that wealth is correlated with righteousness or even happiness. While favorable circumstances are nice the Lord takes degree of difficulty into account when weighing our lives. C.S. Lewis says it better then I can:

“But if you are a poor creature--poisoned by a wretched up-bringing in some house full of vulgar jealousies and senseless quarrels--saddled, by no choice of your own, with some loathsome sexual perversion--nagged day in and day out by an inferiority complex that makes you snap at your best friends--do not despair. He knows all about it. You are one of the poor whom He blessed. He knows what a wretched machine you are trying to drive. Keep on. Do what you can. One day He will fling it on the scrap-heap and give you a new one. And then you may astonish us all - not least yourself.”

There will be some surprises on the day of judgement. People you thought were saintly from a distance just coasted on habit and people who seemed hopeless whose simple kindnesses rate higher in the annals of heaven then someone like you or me giving their life for the gospel. Those who had little opportunity will most likely be fine. The Book of Mormon is full of prophets admonishing the Nephites to behave as they are the privileged ones and if they do not live up to it the Lamanites will be in better shape in the end.

Receiving the gospel is only a blessing if lived. If not, it is in many ways a curse.

and it shouldn't be an LDS problem because we have the aid of the Gift of the Holy Ghost. I understand the world is wicked, but what about us? You just said that "God created temporary inequality to see what we would do with it."

That is why we are trying to build Zion, the Holy City, who are of one heart and one mind and have no poor among them. The Gift of the Holy Ghost is not enough. It requires allowing it to sanctify us. Zion is a dream of all the holy who have ever lived. Most lived their lives never finding it. In this dispensation we spent years trying and failing to build it.

Sin seems to have the upper hand but the prophecies of the Last Days are clear that when the devil is given power over his kingdom the Saints will be given even greater power and then we will build the heavenly society. It will be beautiful. I hope I live to see it though I doubt I will. As it stands I am not sure such a society would want me....which is the main problem with building it. Very few are ready.

In the mean time we do what we can. Those strong in spirit help the weak. Spiritual gifts are utilized to help all. The rich contribute so the poor will not suffer. We strive to consecrate as best we can as preparation for the day God will give us more laws to increase our happiness.

Thanks, I hope it works. 

Me too. Stay strong. :)

I am the same age as the Cougars now. Ashley Madison was mostly fake female profiles to pull in suckers. I went to the list and pulled a list of people who registered for an Ashley Madison account using a company email. I am still not sure whether to judge them more harshly for trying to cheat on their spouse or for being stupid enough to use their company email to open the account. :sad:

Hotmail, people!  Hotmail!  ('Course, this may lend a new meaning to the term, Hot-mail! [insert rimshot here.]

That should win an award for the most nonacademic sloppy article of the week. Throw out a few stats, abuse them and then quote a couple of random people to represent all church attending LDS men and women in Utah. Because Utah is where all the Mormons live.

Yeah, I was pretty turned off by the language used in article, disagreement of it with things I've seen in the past, and at an ad-hominem level the source. Not one I plan on citing much to at all.

For the rest of the story.....  http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/08/26/a-new-book-answers-why-its-so-hard-for-educated-women-to-find-dates/

Less educated men are actually facing as challenging a dating and marriage market as the educated women. So for example, among non-college educated men in the U.S. age 22 to 29, there are 9.4 million single men versus 7.1 million single women. So the lesser-educated men face an extremely challenging data market. They do not have it easy at all.

It's market forces not religion. But that isn't sexy.

Now for those who see polygamy behind every rock, do try it on with this one.  All it is saying is that you darn well better get off your duffs and get  a college education if you want in the market.  Isn't that the same goofy reason sometimes used to justify polygamy? It weeded out the losers so all men would shape up? 

For the rest of the story.....  http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/08/26/a-new-book-answers-why-its-so-hard-for-educated-women-to-find-dates/

It's market forces not religion. But that isn't sexy.

Now for those who see polygamy behind every rock, do try it on with this one.  All it is saying is that you darn well better get off your duffs and get  a college education if you want in the market.  Isn't that the same goofy reason sometimes used to justify polygamy? It weeded out the losers so all men would shape up?

Or we wait for the college bubble to burst. We have too many college-educated people for the number of college educated jobs out there. Employers take advantage of that by demanding degrees for jobs that really should not need them so more people seek degrees. Young students come out of college to relatively low paying jobs with big student loan debts and jobs that do not compensate for the cost of their education. Schools keep raising tuition and get away with it due to the limitless pool of student loans and the law favors the creditor as not even bankruptcy can end such loans.

There was one girl I was hesitant to ask out because she still lived at home at around 30 but I was interested and did it and got turned down. Later I found out through mutual friends that she felt that since she had a phd she should dates guys that are that educated. She had a part time job as a tutor and I was making enough to support a family. I was not that bothered but it did seem off to me. We have a weird college elitist mindset.

Or we wait for the college bubble to burst. We have too many college-educated people for the number of college educated jobs out there. Employers take advantage of that by demanding degrees for jobs that really should not need them so more people seek degrees. Young students come out of college to relatively low paying jobs with big student loan debts and jobs that do not compensate for the cost of their education. Schools keep raising tuition and get away with it due to the limitless pool of student loans and the law favors the creditor as not even bankruptcy can end such loans.

There was one girl I was hesitant to ask out because she still lived at home at around 30 but I was interested and did it and got turned down. Later I found out through mutual friends that she felt that since she had a phd she should dates guys that are that educated. She had a part time job as a tutor and I was making enough to support a family. I was not that bothered but it did seem off to me. We have a weird college elitist mindset.

There is a college bubble, a college debt bubble and the fact that not enough people are getting the vocational/technical skills the economy is requiring.  

There is a college bubble, a college debt bubble and the fact that not enough people are getting the vocational/technical skills the economy is requiring.

Do you have some suggestions for a good technical vs. college route to go? For my son, sorry for the derail OP.

What a terrible assumption, how do you know all of them don't care? 

"Studies of identical twins who have been raised apart show that genes have a strong influence on a person's weight. Overweight and obesity tend to run in families. Your chances of being overweight are greater if one or both of your parents are overweight or obese. Your genes also may affect the amount of fat you store in your body and where on your body you carry the extra fat" 

Most of my family is obese for 3 generations on my mothers's side. I'm very thin. I've found weight very interesting...and I assure you, genetics is only a part of the story or you wouldn't see the rate of obesity increase so drastically in 2-3 generations. Lifestyle does effect overall health and shape. I'm thin in part because of my genetic heritage from my bio-dad, who is lean. But with my lifestyle it's also nearly impossible to gain excess weight unless I gain some major health problems (Naturally low sugar, low fat, low processed foods, less calories, no meat, nutrients dense). And my bio-dad is lean because he grew up in a culture that ate what nature grew and he never fully acclimatized to an american diet. He eats very healthy. Both of us are physically active.    

So what about a girl that is not attractive? Many LDS RM ignore the girls that are not attractive, the same problem existed in the 19th century, Heber C. Kimball said (according to Stanley P. Hirshson) "The brother missionaries have been in the habit of picking out the prettiest women for themselves before they get here, and bringing on the ugly ones for us"

Why does God create some girls that are attractive and some girls that are not attractive? No offense because my girlfriend (from another city) is not that attractive, but I don't care. How do I know she is not very attractive? because I am the first guy that asked her on a date, the other guys simply ignored her. Not even for a single date!

Same with some LDS girls too, some girls are too picky, and are quick to reject a guy based on a prejudiced observation.

People marry those that look similar to them on levels of attraction. Though someone might not be attractive to me, another person may be attracted to them. Attraction is arbitrary. You may know that your girlfriend is not super attractive to others, but do you find her attractive or that you like to look at her? Do you enjoy touching and kissing her? That's what's more important. I have similar outlooks to Nehor. I prefer men in good shape, lean, and even within a certain height range (5'8"-6'0"). My first kiss didn't have this but we were best friends....when he kissed me I felt nothing. We just didn't have that sort of chemistry. My current interest does fit that...there's things that would be considered conventionally not as attractive (he's balding for example), but he's attractive to me. 

If you're sitting there and find a good partner with mutual attraction but you're constantly trying to "scale up" per se, then there's a problem. If you're insisting on only associating with people who look a certain way as friends, co-workers, etc...then there's an issues that would tie to one's Christianity. But mate selection is personal. Choosing someone you're attracted to is not a sin. 

What a load of BS! The whole time I was reading this all I could think that these people must live in a different universe than I do. My experience in dating here at BYU has been nothing like it is portrayed here. I highly doubt that the amount of boob jobs in Salt Lake City has anything to do with LDS dating. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of those people are already married or with partners.

Haha, seriously. I couldn't figure out what BYU she's talking about. I've never got that vibe from anyone while dating there. The "risque" gray edge of physical things still stopped well before oral sex for most that I knew. The girl must hang out with a crazy bunch.  

Most of my family is obese for 3 generations on my mothers's side. I'm very thin. I've found weight very interesting...and I assure you, genetics is only a part of the story or you wouldn't see the rate of obesity increase so drastically in 2-3 generations. Lifestyle does effect overall health and shape. I'm thin in part because of my genetic heritage from my bio-dad, who is lean. But with my lifestyle it's also nearly impossible to gain excess weight unless I gain some major health problems (Naturally low sugar, low fat, low processed foods, less calories, no meat, nutrients dense). And my bio-dad is lean because he grew up in a culture that ate what nature grew and he never fully acclimatized to an american diet. He eats very healthy. Both of us are physically active.    

People marry those that look similar to them on levels of attraction. Though someone might not be attractive to me, another person may be attracted to them. Attraction is arbitrary. You may know that your girlfriend is not super attractive to others, but do you find her attractive or that you like to look at her? Do you enjoy touching and kissing her? That's what's more important. I have similar outlooks to Nehor. I prefer men in good shape, lean, and even within a certain height range (5'8"-6'0"). My first kiss didn't have this but we were best friends....when he kissed me I felt nothing. We just didn't have that sort of chemistry. My current interest does fit that...there's things that would be considered conventionally not as attractive (he's balding for example), but he's attractive to me. 

If you're sitting there and find a good partner with mutual attraction but you're constantly trying to "scale up" per se, then there's a problem. If you're insisting on only associating with people who look a certain way as friends, co-workers, etc...then there's an issues that would tie to one's Christianity. But mate selection is personal. Choosing someone you're attracted to is not a sin. 

I dated a tall dark and handsome, but for some reason the attraction just wasn't there.  I'm married to a very short man, and now balding with a little pouch, mark that little or he has a conniption fit.  Certain things attracted me to him.  His eyes, his humor, his hands, his silly-ness, and his soul.  He's still handsome, but doesn't have the perfect facial features, and does have some balding going on now.  He was an ironworker so he's super strong, or was.  On our first date, blind date, the woman who lined us up said, "wear flats!".  Sometimes my being taller still bothers me, but I'm really getting over it most of the time.  He gets kidded about his shortness, but for some reason he doesn't seem as short as he is.  He made up for it by doing Super human feats.  People love my husband.  Looks aren't everything, though he is definitely on the cute side.  Still, looks aren't everything.  People are missing out if they think they need that model type, nothing wrong with the model type, but missing out on something wonderful if that's all they care about.  And "Kenngo" women are sure missing out, they don't see the side of you we do.  Or for all the "Kenngo's" out there.    

I dated a tall dark and handsome, but for some reason the attraction just wasn't there.  I'm married to a very short man, and now balding with a little pouch, mark that little or he has a conniption fit.  Certain things attracted me to him.  His eyes, his humor, his hands, his silly-ness, and his soul.  He's still handsome, but doesn't have the perfect facial features, and does have some balding going on now.  He was an ironworker so he's super strong, or was.  On our first date, blind date, the woman who lined us up said, "wear flats!".  Sometimes my being taller still bothers me, but I'm really getting over it most of the time.  He gets kidded about his shortness, but for some reason he doesn't seem as short as he is.  He made up for it by doing Super human feats.  People love my husband.  Looks aren't everything, though he is definitely on the cute side.  Still, looks aren't everything.  People are missing out if they think they need that model type, nothing wrong with the model type, but missing out on something wonderful if that's all they care about.  And "Kenngo" women are sure missing out, they don't see the side of you we do.  Or for all the "Kenngo's" out there.    

Truth. I've been with this guy on and off for quite a while and he's a bit older than me. We've been friends for even longer. It's funny to watch him age and see the beginnings of crows feet and think how cute they are when he sleeps or the way they accentuate his bright green eyes when he smiles. Or to watch that hair line recede just a little further. I still will not tell him that he could basically get away with murder with me if he wears a green shirt. I like the veins in his hands, the mischief in his eyes when he's about to do something bad, his rough big hands, and the soft hairs on his arm that I touch when we take naps. And I love how he's tall enough that I can get away with whatever shoe but also short enough that I don't feel intimidated by his size (the problem with the first kiss guy). He has features most would find nice: slim athletic body, strong jaw, warm gold skin, manly features...but honestly what attracts me just as equally is his physical "flaws"...they make him him.

Tacenda... I'm happy to say I know your husband... and you...

Fellow readers... a few days ago I had the pleasure of meeting Tacenda and her husband during their visit to the Oregon coast... Tacenda PM'd me that they were coming to the coast and asked for ideas, etc.  Turned out they were staying the night just down the highway from me so we agreed to meet for breakfast before they continued on down the coast...

When I arrived at their little motel at the agreed time, I found this really nice looking fellow standing in an open doorway... as I got out of my van I said...Are you from Utah?... Of course it was Tacenda's husband... we shook hands and I was taken with his friendly smile and pleasant eyes... short crew cut... bermuda shorts... windbreaker... perfect on the coast... 

He says... Tacenda's anxious to meet you...

So I laughed as I was greeted by Tacenda... we hugged and I said... You are nothing like I expected!!

Laughing she says... What were you expecting...

I told her... I imagined you as being older looking, a rounder grandmotherly type with glasses, graying hair... but look at you!!

There before me was this lovely, tall, willowy blond with a chic short haircut... her laughing blue eyes friendly and welcoming... I chuckled at how far off I was in my expectation...

From there we went to breakfast where we enjoyed an easiness with lively conversation... such a delightful, pleasant meeting... and I'm thankful to have had the opportunity to meet them...

There are many on the board I'd like to have the opportunity to meet... I bet I'd be pleasantly surprised at more than a few...

GG

GG, were you wearing rose colored glasses? ;) Because that was a very nice description of my hubby and I, thank you! You were mostly what I imagined except you looked much younger than your years. I imagined you to look much older. I loved the photos with your husband and of your cat, Bob. You and your husband look like those movie stars in the late 60's in your younger years. It was so great to meet. Hopefully you meet more people on the board one day. I seriously think the people here know me better than some of my closest friends. :)

I think I've mentioned this before a few times, but my daughter calls all of you guys 'my best friends I have never met'.  She gets a big kick out of it.

Perfect description by your daughter, sometimes our truer selves come out better on places like this. I think there ought to be something like this for people to meet and possibly date...keeping with the OP.