Seriously No Politics ×

Chelmsley Wood Bishop Left In Coma After Attack Outside Church

JAHS

"A police manhunt is underway after a Mormon bishop was attacked by robbers as he opened up his Chelmsley Wood church.
The 45-year-old, from Castle Bromwich, was opening up the Church of Latter Day Saints on Clopton Crescent on Sunday morning.
He was found lying in the road near to the church with a serious head injury.
It is thought the man had been dragged down the street as he clung onto the car."

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/replay-chelmsley-wood-bishop-left-9873032

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you.  Most of the time I enjoy follow up these stories on my own...can't believe how quickly I get tired now.  But at least it gets me out of housework for 2 weeks...probably will be so bored I will be begging to do by the end.

• 1 month later...

Thank you.  Most of the time I enjoy follow up these stories on my own...can't believe how quickly I get tired now.  But at least it gets me out of housework for 2 weeks...probably will be so bored I will be begging to do by the end.

Sorry, I don't know why I missed this post. 

I hope you're feeling much better now.

I've met with unbalanced members before who don't leave the office happy with me or my counsel. Some of whom have felony gun convictions (including attempted murder). 

The thought does cross your mind about what could happen or what you would do if . . .

Sorry, I don't know why I missed this post.

I hope you're feeling much better now.

Tons better. Some days are even better than I've felt in years. Hopefully in a month or so, these days will be much more my typical experience.

Easiest surgery I've had, besides being tired I've had to force myself to remember I've had major surgery and not go all out on the fall cleaning. I am so far behind on my cleaning due to what the surgery corrected and a thyroid issue that is slowly being corrected. However, even just a few hours a day is tons more than a few hours a month so things are looking much better.

Edited by Calm

I've met with unbalanced members before who don't leave the office happy with me or my counsel. Some of whom have felony gun convictions (including attempted murder). 

The thought does cross your mind about what could happen or what you would do if . . .

Yikes!!! My recollection is that my Dad had some experiences similar to yours when he was a Bishop as well.

Here's the most recent report on the Bishop that I can find:

Mormon Bishop Injured During Carjacking on Road to Recovery

In mid-August, we reported the story of LDS bishop David Charmbury, who suffered severe head trauma after a carjacking near Birmingham, England. Bishop Charmbury was placed in an induced coma after being found unconscious in the road near the Church, which he was opening up for Sunday meetings.

Earlier this month, the police were able to report that Bishop Charmbury was improving and “his condition is now described as stable.” His wife also spoke out to the public to thank everyone for their support. In speaking with the Observer, Rachael Charmbury said:

“David is getting stronger and making progress every day in the hospital. We are hopeful that he will be up and about soon. He is overwhelmed and deeply touched by all the good wishes and messages he has received. He is also very appreciative of the prayers that have been said on his behalf, from members of our church and other faiths alike.”

A man has been arrested in connection with the attack and charges have been filed.

http://www.ldsdaily.com/world/mormon-bishop-injured-during-carjacking-on-road-to-recovery/

Yikes!!! My recollection is that my Dad had some experiences similar to yours when he was a Bishop as well.

I read a good book called "Agent Bishop." It was written by a man who served five times as bishop while being an FBI agent (against Church policy now to be a bishop and in law enforcement, judiciary, or politics). His adventures weren't so much with his own members, but his assignments (one was organized crime in the Virgin Islands, and another was a cult in the Pacific Northwest). 

Just a few weeks ago, we parked our outside car (our newer one is in the garage) at different locations because of threatening texts from a disgruntled member. He has since apologized, and we're "good" --- but I'll only meet with him at high-traffic times at the church.

ETA: Here's the book. It was a really good read.

http://www.amazon.com/Agent-Bishop-Stories-Moonlighting-Mormon/dp/1599553171

Edited by rongo

My dad's never been a bishop, but was a counselor.  (He was in law enforcement for 43 years.)  One night, he and the bishop went to visit to a young couple, and the bishop gave an outstanding discourse on the Word of Wisdom and the things it commands us to avoid.  All the while, a big, beautiful marijuana plant was sitting, prominently and in plain view, on top of the TV.  After the visit, dad mentioned it to the bishop.  "Oh, is that what that was?" :huh: he asked.   ;)  Dad didn't mention whether he got a headache or, if so, how bad it was.  (He always said he could tell how good the "stuff" was by how fast he got a headache and how bad the headache was. ;))

Edited by Kenngo1969

"against Church policy now to be a bishop and in law enforcement, judiciary, or politics"

When did this happen? We had a policeman as a bishop back in 86 iirc.

It's in the new handbook (2010). With our current liability/litigation culture, it's a no-brainer. The Church also never wants its leaders to testify regarding its members, but law enforcement/judicial people are bound by law to do so when illegal activities are brought to their attention. This avoids any conflict between competing obligations.