Sign in to follow this  
JAHS

Catholic Groups Told To Sever Ties With Bsa

"A US bishop told Catholic parishes, schools and institutions they must cut ties with the Boy Scouts of America because of the organisation’s decision to allow openly gay troop leaders and employees to serve in their ranks at the national level."

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2015/08/11/us-bishops-tells-catholic-groups-to-sever-ties-with-boy-scouts/

Will the LDS Church follow their lead? 

It is very possible that the Church comes to the same conclusion the Catholics have.  This has been percolating for some time now. Regardless of what happens, the youth will be fine and the Church will have programs that attempt to instruct, guide, and assist in making each one of them a better person and overcome their individual problems. 

No, but the CoJCoL-dS may decide to also sever their BSA ties, or they may not.  Whatever the decision of the Brethren, it will not be to follow others.

No, but the CoJCoL-dS may decide to also sever their BSA ties, or they may not.  Whatever the decision of the Brethren, it will not be to follow others.

Agreed, but it might make it a little easier should they decide to discontinue the BSA program.

It's my understanding that the bishop's letter only applies to parishes and institutions in his particular diocese and covers around 180 scouts.  It wouldn't surprise me if this was something not coordinated with anyone outside of the diocese.

It's my understanding that the bishop's letter only applies to parishes and institutions in his particular diocese and covers around 180 scouts.  It wouldn't surprise me if this was something not coordinated with anyone outside of the diocese.

I wonder what the Pope would have to say about this action? Or does the Catholic Church allow more automony on such issues compared to the LDS church?

As a mother to a cub scout and scout, i secretly have my fingers crossed that the church gets out of the program.  My husband is a convert and never did scouts and i had no brothers so scouts is like this foreign country that we are forced to navigate thru and exist in, even though we never wanted to visit in the first place.

I feel like the time investiture into scouts, as well as the mental stress of it all, is not worth the payout.  Being an eagle scout really doesn't mean anything anymore (most LDS scout troops don't take the whole program as seriously as it's supposed to be anyway) and no one cares outside of the LDS community whether or not you are one.

Just my two cents...

"no one cares outside of the LDS community whether or not you are one."

The military still does, but given the percentage of LDS who serve in it probably not worth that alone.

"no one cares outside of the LDS community whether or not you are one."

The military still does, but given the percentage of LDS who serve in it probably not worth that alone.

That's interesting! What perks does the military give for being an eagle scout?

As a mother to a cub scout and scout, i secretly have my fingers crossed that the church gets out of the program.  My husband is a convert and never did scouts and i had no brothers so scouts is like this foreign country that we are forced to navigate thru and exist in, even though we never wanted to visit in the first place.

I feel like the time investiture into scouts, as well as the mental stress of it all, is not worth the payout.  Being an eagle scout really doesn't mean anything anymore (most LDS scout troops don't take the whole program as seriously as it's supposed to be anyway) and no one cares outside of the LDS community whether or not you are one.

Just my two cents...

Don't forget the expense.  And oh didn't you realize that Eagle was an Aaronic priesthood office.

That's interesting! What perks does the military give for being an eagle scout?

You get to start out one rank higher.  When my husband joined the Air Force, he was an E-2 instead of an E-1, so slightly higher pay. His current boss also said his Eagle and his military experience gave him the edge when they narrowed it down to three people.  153 people applied for his maintenance job.  As annoyed as I get with Scouting, I'm very grateful he had that experience. 

You get to start out one rank higher.  When my husband joined the Air Force, he was an E-2 instead of an E-1, so slightly higher pay. His current boss also said his Eagle and his military experience gave him the edge when they narrowed it down to three people.  153 people applied for his maintenance job.  As annoyed as I get with Scouting, I'm very grateful he had that experience. 

That is really great.

I've done some research in the past and it did say that if the person who is doing the hiring/reading the resumes is an eagle scout that it can definitely help you.  Unfortunately it also said that if they aren't it can hinder the process because the person will assume you just didn't have anything else job related to brag about.  

So yeah, basically completely unhelpful and contradictory advice, just like pretty much all job resume advice.  :D  That's really awesome that it helped your hubby though.  I have a feeling it would probably help younger boys trying to get a job in high school or college too, especially in less-LDS centric areas.  I do recognize that it has value.  I just won't cry if we get rid of it.

That is really great.

I've done some research in the past and it did say that if the person who is doing the hiring/reading the resumes is an eagle scout that it can definitely help you.  Unfortunately it also said that if they aren't it can hinder the process because the person will assume you just didn't have anything else job related to brag about.  

So yeah, basically completely unhelpful and contradictory advice, just like pretty much all job resume advice.   :D  That's really awesome that it helped your hubby though.  I have a feeling it would probably help younger boys trying to get a job in high school or college too, especially in less-LDS centric areas.  I do recognize that it has value.  I just won't cry if we get rid of it.

I've always wondered if there is some kind of equivalent that would give a woman a higher rank. 

I wonder what the Pope would have to say about this action?

"What's the BSA?"

Just my two cents...

I also secretly hope they cut ties just so that we can stand our ground on this matter - this whole issue on homosexuality is forcing us to stand out and I think the other groups are also eager to hear what the brethren decide. However, I don't see how we can pull out of it because they allow us to only employ leaders that have the same values as us so if we did pull out it would further brandish us and light of our recent efforts at transparency it will paint an unfavourable picture in the public eye.

Just to keep some perspective..."Catholic groups" in this instance, is confined to the diocese of Bismarck, North Dakota. This is not the Catholic Church speaking, or even two "groups" within the Catholic Church. It is a tiny "group". This bishop is in the American outback, if you will, and I wouldn't expect any support from his fellow American bishops in populated regions. I would expect that most of the bishops of the Catholic Church in America would applaud this move by the Boy Scouts of America. 

Edited by 3DOP

"What's the BSA?"

It's a brand of motorcycle.  I used to own one when I lived in England.  It was a 175cc two-stroke that I drove everywhere.  Sweet bike.  "BSA" stood for Birmington Small Arms, and they originally made pistols and rifles, but later diversified.

Just to keep some perspective..."Catholic groups" in this instance, is confined to the diocese of Bismarck, North Dakota. This is not the Catholic Church speaking, or even two "groups" within the Catholic Church. It is a tiny "group". This bishop is in the American outback, if you will, and I wouldn't expect any support from his fellow American bishops in populated regions. I would expect that most of the bishops of the Catholic Church in America would applaud this move by the Boy Scouts of America. 

I will ask you the same question I asked earlier, would the Pope approve of this move, or would he even make any comment one way or ther other about it?

I will ask you the same question I asked earlier, would the Pope approve of this move, or would he even make any comment one way or ther other about it?

JAHS...hi. I think the bishop of Bismarck will be flying alone on this mission.

I doubt if the former bishop of Buenos Aires is familiar with the Boy Scouts of America, but if he is, I would be shocked if Pope Francis concurred with the bishop of Bismarck on this question.

JAHS...hi. I think the bishop of Bismarck will be flying alone on this mission.

I doubt if the former bishop of Buenos Aires is familiar with the Boy Scouts of America, but if he is, I would be shocked if Pope Francis concurred with the bishop of Bismarck on this question.

OK.. I guess there isn't the same strict chain of command in the Catholic church as there is in the LDS Church.  A stake president would probably not decide something like this on his own unless getting the OK from higher ups. 

OK.. I guess there isn't the same strict chain of command in the Catholic church as there is in the LDS Church.  A stake president would probably not decide something like this on his own unless getting the OK from higher ups. 

Most bishops will wait to see what the bishops conference says. In this case, it would be the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB). Historically, the bishop is the spiritual pastor of any given geographical area. He will give an account to God for the rule of his children. From my understanding of Catholic teaching, regardless of what some modern bishops conference says, the bishop remains accountable for what he teaches his children. I applaud the bishop of Bismarck for his courage. But as I suggested, I think the majority of US bishops will oppose him, strenuously and wrongly. Catholic Tradition opposes the teaching that faith and morals are decided according to democratic principles. The bishops conferences don't seem to recognize that.

Edited by 3DOP

"First Baptist Church of Conyers leaving Boy Scouts after gay ban lifted."

CONYERS- After a ten year partnership, the First Baptist Church of Conyers will be ending its relationship with the Boy Scouts of America (BSA).
The decision to part ways comes in the wake of the Boys Scouts of America national executive board voting to end its national restriction on openly gay adult leaders and employees. 

The church felt like the “next step” for the BSA would be to allow openly gay adults to serve as scout leader and volunteers, says Beall.  The church feels like this is “unbiblical” and doesn’t match its values."

http://www.rockdalenews.com/section/1/article/22626/

"Poll: Majority of Utah Mormons Want LDS Church to Leave the Boy Scouts"

"Nearly two-thirds of “very active” Utah members of the LDS Church believe their church leaders should separate from the Boy Scouts and start a new male youth organization, a UtahPolicy survey shows."

http://utahpolicy.com/index.php/features/today-at-utah-policy/6694-poll-majority-of-utah-mormons-want-lds-church-to-leave-the-boy-scouts

Did you all notice they didn't properly "quote" what the LDS Church said in that article at the end?

They added the word "Mormon" to our quote, not using proper rules to show changes to a quote.

Despite that provision, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which is the largest sponsor of Scout troops in the country, said in a statement posted on July 27 on its website that it was evaluating its continued association with the Boy Scouts.

“The LDS Church has always welcomed all boys to its Scouting units regardless of sexual orientation. However, the admission of openly gay leaders is inconsistent with the doctrines of the Mormon Church and what have traditionally been the values of the Boy Scouts of America,” the Church said.

Here's the actual quote by the Church....

“The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is deeply troubled by today’s vote by the Boy Scouts of America National Executive Board. In spite of a request to delay the vote, it was scheduled at a time in July when members of the Church’s governing councils are out of their offices and do not meet. When the leadership of the Church resumes its regular schedule of meetings in August, the century-long association with Scouting will need to be examined. The Church has always welcomed all boys to its Scouting units regardless of sexual orientation. However, the admission of openly gay leaders is inconsistent with the doctrines of the Church and what have traditionally been the values of the Boy Scouts of America.

As a global organization with members in 170 countries, the Church has long been evaluating the limitations that fully one-half of its youth face where Scouting is not available. Those worldwide needs combined with this vote by the BSA National Executive Board will be carefully reviewed by the leaders of the Church in the weeks ahead.”

Other Churches are so paranoid to not allow mormons to even call ourselves "the Church" that they have to add the word Mormon.

Of course, if they want to be that **** that's fine, but at least they should have had the decency of using proper quote editing techniques.

They made it look like we called ourselves the "Mormon Church".  That's not being honest.

Edited by williamsmith

Sign in to follow this