Seriously No Politics ×

Never-Before-Seen Letter To A Doubter From Elder Hugh B. Brown

Thoughts?

That's a great letter.  But if the recipient had started printing up handbills describing their doubts (and disbelief) and passing them out on the streets of Salt Lake City, I'm pretty sure they would have been ex'd.  Even in 1946.

Potentially. And tangentially related. But I'm hoping that we can foster discussion on what then-Brother Brown said, not a theoretical blowup on what would happen if the recepient started up a handbill campaign.

Edited by Gohan

Shouldn't we know the provenance before discussing it?   How is it now being published, but never before? 

The source is Steve Densley, for those of you who know him/of him. 

From when he shared the article on Facebook (On LDS.net, he's credited at the bottom of the page)

... My grandmother was Hugh B. Brown's secretary when he was a professor at BYU. She transcribed this letter for him at the time, and asked for permission to make a copy. He agreed, with the stipulation that she remove the name. Lately, I've been thinking that others should see the letter as well. ...

Very good letter. I read the doubt being discussed as doubt as to ultimate truths such as the existence of God and life after death - the proverbial staring into the abyss - rather than doubts as to whether unique lds teachings are correct - priesthood bans, restored keys, marriage definition, beards and coke, etc.

I imagine some passing around this letter are using it to council against doubting mortal leaders, which clearly is not the subject of the letter.

Very good letter. I read the doubt being discussed as doubt as to ultimate truths such as the existence of God and life after death - the proverbial staring into the abyss - rather than doubts as to whether unique lds teachings are correct - priesthood bans, restored keys, marriage definition, beards and coke, etc.

I imagine some passing around this letter are using it to council against doubting mortal leaders, which clearly is not the subject of the letter.

I would agree with you there, especially based on the time when Elder Brown wrote the letter. I imagine that many members of the Church could have difficulty believing in the existence of God in the aftermath of the war. 

For me, some of the most valuable counsel comes here:

First, I have found that periods of doubt and skepticism, of negative reactions and disbelief have always been characterized by darkness, refrigeration of spirit, pettiness, cynicism, and general misery, even to a point of wishing for oblivion. Whereas, periods of faith, hope, and positive reactions have been times of buoyancy and cheerfulness filled with a desire to be and to become, to lift and encourage, and to point with confidence to something even more about to be. Here, life had cadence and lilt and zest and value, and I gloried in the thought that I could extend these benefits and joys and possibilities to my children.

From the selfish standpoint of personal satisfaction then, I have chosen to swim in the clear, cool stream of faith rather than wallow in the turbid, enervating, stagnant swamp of doubt and cynicism. In other words, faith pays dividends of joy as we go along.

To paraphrase Elder Uchtdorf - and Zig Zigler too I think - our attitude determines our altitude.

This really hit home with me as I reflected on two of my classes from this last school year. They stuck out. The one had students that were optimistic and excited about history, and the other had students that were outspoken "Debbie Downers" about it. They affected their fellow students. The first class did relatively well grade-wise, while the second one struggled. Anyway, sorry, that's been bouncing around in my head the last few hours. 

FWIW, here are two quotes from Hugh B. Brown regarding obedience and dissent - two themes that seem to be making the rounds now. I rather doubt that his "letter on doubt" was intended to address either of these subjects.

“As we go forward in life, we come more and more to realize the wisdom of being obedient, not because we are afraid of the law, but because we recognize the importance, wisdom, and necessity of law in civilized life. Freedom within the law is indispensable if your life is to be rich and radiant. Liberty is a prized possession, which should be jealously guarded, but it may be jeopardized by disobedience. We should not assume that liberty and license are synonymous.

Sometimes we find people of all ages who resent regulations, restraints, or prohibitions of any kind. They seem to assume that rebellious disregard for rules or laws indicates emancipation and independence. In a foolish attempt to demonstrate their freedom they lose it, forgetting that real liberty can only be enjoyed by obedience to law.

Consider for a moment our traffic laws, with their daily toll of suffering, loss, and death. It must be evident to all that these laws are enacted and enforced for the good and protection of people and property. Is it not, therefore, foolhardy to endanger oneself and others simply to show one's independence or importance. Of course, we may disregard the traffic laws, drive on the wrong side of the street, exceed speed limits, go through red lights, just for the satisfaction of showing off and doing as we please, but if we continue to act in such an irresponsible manner, we must eventually pay a price all out of proportion to any momentary satisfaction. . . .

Speaking of the duty of parents to children, [John] Locke said, "Liberty and indulgence can do no good to children; their want of judgment makes them stand in need of restraint." . . .

Any person is stupid who thinks he can defy the law with impunity. They who obey the law find it to be a safeguard and protection, a guarantee against privilege and favoritism; it applies to all, regardless of rank, station, or status. When properly administered, its rewards and punishments are inflexible. They are at once a warning, a promise, and a safeguard.

If they whose duty it is to enforce the law were whimsical or capricious, or if the laws were not administered and enforced with undeviating justice and equity, there would be confusion, defiance, and rebellion. With the average, normal person, force will not become necessary, but sometimes, for the safety of society, drastic measures must be employed.”  

https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/524956.Hugh_B_Brown

“I admire men and women who have developed the questing spirit, who are unafraid of new ideas as stepping stones to progress. We should, of course, respect the opinions of others, but we should also be unafraid to dissent–if we are informed. Thoughts and expressions compete in the marketplace of thought, and in that competition truth emerges triumphant. Only error fears freedom of expression… This free exchange of ideas is not to be deplored as long as men and women remain humble and teachable. Neither fear of consequence or any kind of coercion should ever be used to secure uniformity of thought in the church. People should express their problems and opinions and be unafraid to think without fear of ill consequences. … We must preserve freedom of the mind in the church and resist all efforts to suppress it.”

http://mormonstories.org/are-there-any-quotes-from-lds-church-leaders-which-either-support-or-inspire-you/

I saw this shared earlier this morning and found it powerful. This is a copy of a letter, unpublished until now, from Elder Hugh B. Brown (then a religion professor at BYU) to an anonymous friend that was struggling. A copy was kept by Elder Brown's then-secretary, with his permission, provided the name of the recipient was removed. 

I've included the link here, along the text of the letter:

Thoughts?

We have lost the ability to write lie that, just in my lifetime.

Great to kow that for even such a great man as brother Brown, it all comes down to Alma 32 and the will to believe. Belief is a choice, like getting out of bed when everything inside says to pull the covers over your head.