Seriously No Politics ×

Score One For Religious Freedom Against The Tyranny Of Political Correctness

Years ago I had to give an "informative speech" in a college speech class.  I chose to do it on The Book of Mormon.  As far as I know, I was the only LDS student in the class.  Afterward, several people told me how much they enjoyed it.  It's kind of sad if adults (especially teachers and administrators) can't tell the difference between being conveying information and "proselyting".

Here's my speech if you're interested:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10767066/Outline%20%28Book%20of%20Mormon%29_Public%20v3.pdf

Political correctness and free speech cannot live together.

Of course they can.

Some PC is a good thing.  It's good that we frown upon the use of certain words to describe ethnic groups etc...

But taken to the extreme -- PC becomes a way to silence speech.  Which is a terrible thing.

Of course they can.

Some PC is a good thing.  It's good that we frown upon the use of certain words to describe ethnic groups etc...

But taken to the extreme -- PC becomes a way to silence speech.  Which is a terrible thing.

When people choose to not resort to cruel, rude or crude language when speaking of others, why not call it something like human decency or human civility rather than political correctness? The expression political correctness conjures up so many bad things that one is hard-pressed to say it can ever be a good thing. But I know what you mean.

This news release (some good news, for a change) was in my in-box:

Looks like another case of overly zealous but misguided school administrators forcing political correctness.

Heaven help us if a student is forbidden from mentioning her religious convictions in an "all about me" essay.

Fortunately, the student and her family didn't cave in in this instance.

Glad to hear it.

My elementary-school daughter recently submitted a book report on the Book of Mormon. No negative feedback at all. But we live in a relatively conservative and religious area.

Of course they can.

Political correctness is by very definition the suppression of opposing speech.  So, no, Free speech and Political correctness are opposing principles.

The free speech clause of US requires that GOVERNMENT not use its authority to limit/censure speech without a compelling interest. The individual student is free to express their ideas, the teacher as an agent of the state isn't.

Edited by thesometimesaint

When people choose to not resort to cruel, rude or crude language when speaking of others, why not call it something like human decency or human civility rather than political correctness? The expression political correctness conjures up so many bad things that one is hard-pressed to say it can ever be a good thing. But I know what you mean.

Quite true.  However, I think that sometimes we use words that may be hurtful or insulting when that isn't our intention.  Being aware of what words are insulting to a certain group is just part of being polite in many cases.  So even the most sincere and kind minister who calls me a member of a"cult", is still being rude.  But perhaps not intentionally.

But I agree, there is a lot of baggage tied up with the term "politically correct."

Political correctness is by very definition the suppression of opposing speech.  So, no, Free speech and Political correctness are opposing principles.

No it isn't.  

PC represents social norms.  Free speech is a right which exists completely independent of norms.  And no one is making the KKK disband or even the Nation of Islam because they express very politically incorrect views.  

But I think we would both agree that political correctness has gone way too far.  An example:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-shermer/tolerance-and-totalitarianism_b_7347094.html

We all set down rules out of ignorance and it is usually because of inexperience. I do it all the time. The difference between someone with an agenda and someone with inexperience is that the latter will reconsider after being shown the broader perspective. I had a bishop refuse a Spanish family from using the church building for a their daughters 15th birthday. He gave a number of reasons that all seemed reasonable but when we explained to him the flaw in his argument and pointed out that his aversion was largely because it was a culture shock, he reluctantly relented and the party went on. 

I suspect that the teacher genuinely thought that she/he was doing the right thing. Now they have a better understanding of how the law should be applied. 

Of course they can.

Even though we frown upon the use of some words, people should still be free to use them. What they say will reflect only on them, They should have as much right to voice their opinions as we have to disagree with the way they voice them.

Edited by busybee

Even though we frown upon the use of some words, people should still be free to use them. What they say will reflect only on them, They should have as much right to voice their opinions as we have to disagree with the way they voice them.

Freedom of speech only has value if people can say outrageous things without consequence to their lives, property, loved ones, or employment.  Political correctness forces people to lie or misrepresent their true intentions. 

One persons standard of political correctness is another persons standard of respect and kindness. Referring to a standard of behavior as being politically correct is like referring to mormonism as being a cult. 

PC is not representative of social norms; it is representative of a philosophy that purports to be tolerant....as long as you think what I think.  It abhors freedom and tolerance in exchange for its preferred group think all in the name of what it calls tolerance.  I find few thinks so offensive as those who become so politically correct that they lose all common sense and cannot see what is right before their eyes.  

Decency, politeness have nothing in common with PC; decency, kindness, thoughtfulness are the the choices a person makes by their own free will rather than being forced to act a certain way to please a bully, a tyrant, and the demagogues. 

Absolutely false.  It is politically incorrect to call Mormons "cultists."  It is politically incorrect to use the word "negro."

The problem isn't PC.  The problem is *people* who *use* PC to the extreme in an effort to intimidate their ideological opponents.

ETA:  I see Freedom beat me to making the point.  :)

Edited by sethpayne

Of course they can.

Well said.

Thanks,

-Smac

No it isn't.  

PC represents social norms.

No, it doesn't.  You might call social norms "civility" or something else like it.  But "social norms" are NOT political correctness.  Political correctness has ALWAYS been used to suppress opposing speech. Of course they like to disguise it as something else.

Free speech is a right which exists completely independent of norms.

This is true.

And no one is making the KKK disband or even the Nation of Islam because they express very politically incorrect views.

True, because they are left leaning groups.  Political correctness is used almost exclusively by the left to suppress opposing views,

But I think we would both agree that political correctness has gone way too far.  An example:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-shermer/tolerance-and-totalitarianism_b_7347094.html

LOL!  Now that it is becoming a problem for left leaning groups it is now being recognized by them as being a problem.

As they say, what goes around comes around.

Edited by Vance

Political correctness is by very definition the suppression of opposing speech. So, no, Free speech and Political correctness are opposing principles.

Maybe by your definition. You are free to use racial slurs but you aren't being PC. The Westboro baptist church is free to protest the funerals of fallen soldiers but that isn't very PC either. PC doesn't take away your freedom, it just tells you what others may not like. But if it makes you feel better to think that being PC somehow tramples on your rights you're free to think that.

Political correctness at its most basic is avoiding language and actions calculated to offend and maginalize.

When LDS insist that they should not be referred to as a cult (despite the definition being technically correct from an anthropological point of view) they are calling for political correctness.

The term was only used rarely until the late 80s to early 90s when political groups (mostly the Right) referred to the possibility that it could be taken too far and the term is now used by them only to refer to things they believe take it too far. It is also used by jerks who want a justification to be a jerk by railing against basic decency which they call political correctness.

It was also used earlier by some communists (almost exclusively Stalinist-style Communists) to refer to the "correct" political opinions under totalitarianism but that usage does not really relate to later usages as currently popularized in the United States. I also heard the term used in Britain when I was there though must less often and it was less of a pejorative. I have no idea if it has been translated to other languages.

Freedom of speech only has value if people can say outrageous things without consequence to their lives, property, loved ones, or employment.  Political correctness forces people to lie or misrepresent their true intentions. 

Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences. Freedom of speech is the right to speak without GOVERNMENTAL action against you. IF you don't believe it call your boss a vile name to his/her face and see if you don't get fired.

8 years ago my son who was in 5th grade was told to choose a challenging book to read in his spare time.  He chose the Book of Mormon.  His teacher told him that school was not the place for that book and he was not to bring it to school with him ever again.

The funny part was that she was LDS and a BYUI student teacher.

PC has taken over.

8 years ago my son who was in 5th grade was told to choose a challenging book to read in his spare time.  He chose the Book of Mormon.  His teacher told him that school was not the place for that book and he was not to bring it to school with him ever again.

The funny part was that she was LDS and a BYUI student teacher.

PC has taken over.

Was there any follow-up? I think I might have had a thing or two to say at the next parent-teacher conference -- if not before. I wouldn't tolerate that sort of thing, especially from a BYU or BYUI student teacher.

Edited by Scott Lloyd