Seriously No Politics ×

Utah Cop Who Refused Gay Pride Parade Duty Gets Job At Sutherland Institute

ALarson

Never heard of the institute, but it's wrong to try to force a cop to be in a parade rather than just protect others at the parade. 

I am iffy on this.

He chose to volunteer for the motorcycle detail, he was not forced to participate in it in order to be a cop. The group had been in the gay pride parades for a number of years, I believe, so he should have known it was expected of him and could have asked prior to joining if the group was ever assigned to a detail he rather not participate in, if it was an option to rotate to a different task for that event.

Otoh, if he immediately was okay with participating after being refused, I don't see why his boss didn't let it pass given his previous history (his work had been praised by many in the gay community as fair, etc).

And on the third hand, his getting involved with the Institute makes me wonder about how biased he was originally in his position (political activism, not in terms of being antigay) though it may be his experience has politicised him.

Not sure how being a cop gives you skills to serve in that position. Seems like a PR stunt giving him a paycheck for a job he may not be qualified for. I would not donate to this Institute after that but then I would not donate anyways so no loss for them.

Not sure how being a cop gives you skills to serve in that position. Seems like a PR stunt giving him a paycheck for a job he may not be qualified for. I would not donate to this Institute after that but then I would not donate anyways so no loss for them.

Victim of the gay agenda....what more qualification does one need to be qualified for the Sutherhland Institute?

The vast majority of people in demanding corporate positions or are in leadership positions in general are not effective or good leaders. They just happen to have won the prize of a company so large their actions have little bearing on the daily performance of the front line employee that is working with the public.

Why are you qualified to do what you do?  I am sure there are actually many others that are more qualified.  I am just glad the fellow was able to find a job regardless of what it is - victim or not is irrelevant.

I am sure there are actually many others that are more qualified.  I am just glad the fellow was able to find a job regardless of what it is - victim or not is irrelevant.

I am glad he found work as well.

Depending on his "job" with SI, security v. lobbist; presenting him as a "victim" would be relevant.  If works security, then you are correct, his status as a "victim" does not mean much.

But if his is lobbist, sent out to speak with legislatures, then I would say it was a calculated move on the part of SI to provide him a position; because his "victim" status will most certainly be utilized.

Here is a man whom for his own reasons took a job as a sworn police officer with no intent to protect and serve all the members of the community to which he swore. Maybe that is the type that the Sutherland Institute wants to appeal to. But I don't find it very appealing.

On that political note, the thread is closed.

Archived