Seriously No Politics ×

It's my last semester of my bachelors degree. So I'm batty.

Good luck. :)  With the possible exception of law school, in which the learning seemed to occur for everything but learning's sake (which is, by far, the best reason to learn anything), I love school.  It's just what comes after that I have a problem with! ;)

I'm going to write an anonymous article as an asexual opposed to opposite sex marriage. 

I am asexual, but I'm not opposed to opposite sex marriage.  (But that's a different story. :D:rofl::D)

I give this over a 50/50 chance of being a non-gay person trying to drum up support. The anonymity is a little telling.

Well, call me gullible (you wouldn't be the first), but I understand his rationale for publishing anonymously.

I have absolutely no desire to give offense, but I agree with the author quoted in the opening post. See, e.g., here:

https://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2013/11/11/gay-marriage-emotional-appeals/

And, lest anyone think that my critique of “alternate,” allegedly equally-effective family structures is confined to gays:

https://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2015/02/04/family-values/

Well, call me gullible (you wouldn't be the first), but I understand his rationale for publishing anonymously.

I can see a reason for anonymity no matter who is right. The other factor making me suspect I am right is how much of a caricature the argument is. Nothing about how this impacts him, a gay guy. Just announcing he is gay and then regurgitating conservative talking points verbatim.

If it is authentic he must be one of the most boring people alive.

I give this over a 50/50 chance of being a non-gay person trying to drum up support. The anonymity is a little telling.

I know gay members who firmly support the Church's stance on gay marriage. They have their own struggles with living Church standards, but they support the standards and don't support gay marriage at all.

They are also quite private about everything, and not likely to blog about it or be quoted in interviews. But, I find the assumption that any sentiment along these lines must be straight people pretending to be gay in print for polemical reasons to be naive and offensive. I know people myself who prove this wrong.

I know gay members who firmly support the Church's stance on gay marriage. They have their own struggles with living Church standards, but they support the standards and don't support gay marriage at all.

They are also quite private about everything, and not likely to blog about it or be quoted in interviews. But, I find the assumption that any sentiment along these lines must be straight people pretending to be gay in print for polemical reasons to be naive and offensive. I know people myself who prove this wrong.

I know people like that too. I did not say they had to be a fraud. Just that I find it more likely that they are a fraud. Mostly because if it is real the person talks like a boring stereotype.

Archived