Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RegularMormon

E-Cigs

So Fox and Friends reported a study this morning that e-cigs or vapors are now more common with teens than tobacco smoking is, how does this fit in with the word of wisdom? Obviously the addictiveness of nicotine is still there, but with the WOW specifically mentioning tobacco how are we (LDS youth leaders) suppose to teach/respond to this appropriatly?

Why would this be any more difficult to address than meth, cocaine, or other addictive substances not specifically referenced in the WoW. Teach the principles. The kids are smart enough to be able to apply them correctly.

The kids are smart enough to be able to apply them correctly.

I agree with everything you wrote until this last sentence.  The intelligence and wisdom of teenagers never ceases to amaze me.  :)

I hate my over-literal way of thinking some times....common sense seems to take a vacation with me lol. I saw the news report and googled what ecigs contain and dont contain and freaked out with voices in my head of young men saying..... "but there isn't any tobacco in them!" Thanks lol

I agree with everything you wrote until this last sentence.  The intelligence and wisdom of teenagers never ceases to amaze me.  :)

There's a difference between smarts (intelligence) and wisdom (earned experience). In my experience, our youth have loads of smarts. They really do understand the principles; you don't have to dumb down anything for them. However, as would be expected with their ages, they of course lack a lot of wisdom. And just because they understand something doesn't mean they will follow it.

Why would this be any more difficult to address than meth, cocaine, or other addictive substances not specifically referenced in the WoW. Teach the principles. The kids are smart enough to be able to apply them correctly.

Apples and oranges, I believe. Are e-cigs an illegal substance as meth and cocaine are?

However, as you poitned out, other addictice substances not specifically referenced, would be cover some other substances.

Also what addicitive substance could be found in a e-cig that does not contain nicotine?

Apples and oranges, I believe. Are e-cigs an illegal substance as meth and cocaine are?

However, as you poitned out, other addictice substances not specifically referenced, would be cover some other substances.

Also what addicitive substance could be found in a e-cig that does not contain nicotine?

Are there's e-cigs that don't contain nicotine?  

There is a scripture provided for this very purpose, OPer:   He that must needs be commanded in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant.

Even if they did not contain nicotine (which most if not all do) another scripture that comes to mind is,  'Abstain from all appearance of evil" 1 Thes. 5: 22.

Joseph Smith would have thought this was all so boring compared to a good cigar and some snuff.  Anything in excess is not good for you..but would you rather have those teens sucking on black tar?  Leave it be..and it will be over.

kids .... reminds me of an old rumored byu chant dealing with sex

My brother used ecigarettes to help him quit smoking.  He was able quit the e cigarettes as well.

I think they may be useful.

I think they could be as well...but like most aids for breaking addiction, can be abused themselves.

The problem is when they are promoted not as an aid, but as something enjoyable in and of themselves so that kids start using them who didn't use tobacco.  If they like the nicotine hit enough and can't get a strong enough hit with the ecig, they may take the next step to actual cigarettes.

I would be interested to see how ecig use for breaking addiction is in comparison to nicotine patches and how they compare for abuse.

And if in the years to come if ecigs show up as a gateway drug to actual cigarette use or if smoking among teens drops significantly.

Which is cheaper and easier to get, btw?