Seriously No Politics ×

Who Are You?

CCRW

Stargazer, Rongo, GG, CCR (:)) and the rest of you. You've proven that life is like a box of chocolates and you never know what you're gonna ge-et.

But bravo to you guys for finding a way to look at it positively and faithfully in the end.

We have been in our house for over 6 months now and it still doesn't feel like a home. I think it's because it doesn't have carpet. That's the only thing I can think of. We were in a two bedroom apartment before with 4 children, so you would think I would feel thrilled to live here, but between the hardwood floors and the crazy neighbor, I'm just not feeling it yet.

Maybe go rug shopping? But they aren't cheap for the good ones, I'm thinking. Edited by Tacenda

We have been in our house for over 6 months now and it still doesn't feel like a home.  I think it's because it doesn't have carpet.  That's the only thing I can think of.  We were in a two bedroom apartment before with 4 children, so you would think I would feel thrilled to live here, but between the hardwood floors and the crazy neighbor, I'm just not feeling it yet.

Good morning, MS...

Has it already been 6 months... I wish I had hardwood floors!!  About two years ago, I did some renovation on my little home, including new carpet.  I chose the wrong carpet... it's really good quality, but I chose too long a nap for the den.  Even though it has all these guarantees against crushing, wear, etc., it gets crushed down around the table where I sit a lot, etc.  If I had hardwood, which is so popular in all the home decor magazines, I'd get a big area rug to warm it up.  Take a look at some of the magazines and get some ideas... all the magazines feature mainly hardwood floors...  yep, I'd loove to have hardwood... I sometimes feel I wasted my money on the den carpet.

GG

Okay... you don't want me to get started on my "Bob" stories... but I'll tell just a little about him... When my husband was alive he didn't like cats at all, but I loved them... he used to tell me that when he was gone I'd probably go crazy and get a houseful of cats.  Well, a few months after his death, I almost felt guilty but knew I needed a pet, and being the cat person I am, decided to look at the shelter.

At that time I was on my stake mission and one day I went with the sister mishes to drop off a BoM to an older couple.  They had this beautiful cat that had been feral and living in the bushes outside their home, and which they had eventually tamed... his name was "Charlie" and he was sooo pretty and smart.  Turned out they needed a home for him and he had come right over to me... so I agreed to take him... they requested "visitation" rights... which they would do every so often because they had loved him so.  I had Charlie for just over 10 years when I had to put him down. 

I waited several months and then went down to the shelter to see if I could find an adult cat... I wanted one completely different than Charlie... I liked the black/white cats so that's what I asked for... they brought out this big, beautiful boy about two years old that had been left on their doorstep in carriers with two others... They figured they had belonged to someone who either had to move or who had passed away.  I held him and he purred... he was white with black, irregular patches (picture a pinto pony). 

So I took him home... named him "Bob"... and he proceeded to hide under the furniture for about two weeks... I called the shelter and they said to be patient.  So I'd lay on the floor and extend my hand to him and pet him... I could tell he wanted to come out, but was afraid... finally one day he inched his way out and let me pick him up... his forays under the furniture became less and less until one day I felt him as he rubbed against my legs...

I didn't think I'd ever find a cat as smart as Charlie, but Bob is even smarter... If he could talk he would... and does, in his own meowing way.  He is strictly an indoor cat, so we are really bonded... I know all his "ways" and can tell what he wants... he has become a loving, gentle, funny companion... laugh out loud funny at times.  He weighs 20 lbs.  We move through our days together... me, the proverbial old woman living with her cat...

Sometimes when I'm gone for a long period, when I drive in the driveway, there he is... sitting in the front window watching for me.  As I enter the house from the garage he is there at the door, waiting for me...

Okay, one quick story... Bob doesn't like it when I talk on the phone... so he goes around opening up the cupboard doors... stands on his hind legs, hooking his front paws over the top of the cupboard door, and walks backwards, opening the doors, not only in the kitchen/den area, but around the house...

Ah yes, life with Bob.... GG

As one who is interested in all things Mormon I'm glad I found this forum.  There is a wealth of information here and I have been moved by some of your stories.

By way of introduction I'm a native of Calgary, Alberta, Canada, home of the greatest outdoor show on earth, the Calgary Stampede.  Come up as see us sometime pardner.  I work as a life/career coach and marriage counselor.  Most of my clients are LDS so I have some insight into the issues typically faced by members.

I just started a blog to share some helpful ideas with my clients and others.  Here is the link for those who might be interested.    http://cooperandassociates.blogspot.ca/

Thanks for reading and I look forward to getting to know the members of this forum better.

Welcome Coop!

from your blog:

"The second is a greater appreciation for individual differences.  As we come to know who we are and how we differ from others we can use this understanding to improve our relationships with others." 

If you have not lurked here you will find that upstairs (general) things tend to remain pretty contentious with an us verses them endless battle.

I'm one of the worst offenders and hence wanted to start this thread for the same purpose you state in your blog.

It has really worked for me so far ... I just need to put the faces upstairs with the conversations here to help me better understand.

Oh, and the Jacob scripture was OBVIOUSLY not in error, yes place that "only" back in there!

As one who is interested in all things Mormon I'm glad I found this forum.  There is a wealth of information here and I have been moved by some of your stories.

By way of introduction I'm a native of Calgary, Alberta, Canada, home of the greatest outdoor show on earth, the Calgary Stampede

Hello Coop...

My husband's work took him on occasion to Calgary... and the first time I accompanied him I was expecting Calgary to be a small, movie-western type of town because of the Calgary Stampede I'd heard about all my life and saw news footage, etc.  I'd never paid attention to Calgary, so was surprised when what did I see as our plane came in to land... a huge, spread out metropolitan type city complete with numerous skyscrapers... While attending the social evening, we were treated to a "White Hat" ceremony where everyone was given a white hat and a certificate as "honorary Calgarians."  I think I still have my white hat somewhere on a closet shelf...  

GG

I was going to have a bowl of healthy cereal, but turns out we're out of milk.  So I ate pudding.  I was going to go to the store for milk, but I went to the bank first and this older woman who smelled heavily of cigarettes terrified my baby when she talked close to her face, so I had to take her home because she wouldn't stop crying.

CCCR...hey.

Who am I? God knows. I know things that have happened to me and things that I have done, but I am learning that I don't know myself as well as I ought. For the most part, I am afraid that I have spent most of my life with an exaggerated idea of the wonders of me.

So much for the enigmatical inside of me. On the outside, according to observable data, it appears that I like to hang around Mormons on the internet and explain the Catholic faith to them when I think they have had a mistaken idea about it.

I have millions and probably billions of interests. With little attempt at priority, I have listed some two dozen or so on my profile under a category which asked for my "interests". The program would not let me continue after a certain number, or else I would still be answering the question. Therefore, it would be to mistake what I give time to thinking about, to take note that I have listed "lava", or "stomach acid" as something to which I give particular attention. Nevertheless, if forced to answer the question of whether either were at least interesting to me or not, I could not but answer in the affirmative. I didn't want to lie about it. That is why they are listed. If I correctly recollect, I had been experiencing heartburn at the time, and then maybe that condition led me to think of the hot stuff that belches out of some mountains. Anyway, I hope that helps gives an insight into "Who am I?". I appreciate the interest! Heh.  

Regards,

3DOP   

Edited by 3DOP

I haven't had that Who song out of my head, since this thread began.

I don't know that I could answer, "Tell me who are you, you, you, yeah you."

I have things I do, things I think about, things I wish I havent done, things I wish I have done, and things I'm really happy about doing. But I don't know that those things define who I am. When the lights go out, no one will remember, at least, not for long.

Mostly, I would have to say, I view myself as defined by who loves me, particularly, God. I am defined by Him. Someone who has worth, is loved, in spite of myself. It's really quite amazing.

The humans who say they love me, are an enigma. I suspect that they feel the same about my love for them.

Edited by saemo

My dad inhered by grandfathers farm house when he died. My dad knew some about agriculture so we tired to do the farm thing too. I really liked chickens so we got some chicks, but the chicken house wasn't done so I kept the chicks in my room. Lo and behold, I let them out one day and they pooped all over my room.  :crazy:

I am going for the random side of the thread at this point as opposed to the serious, thoughtful side...give me another half an hour and it may be really random as the night time dose of meds fully hits..

My dad inhered by grandfathers farm house when he died. My dad knew some about agriculture so we tired to do the farm thing too. I really liked chickens so we got some chicks, but the chicken house wasn't done so I kept the chicks in my room. Lo and behold, I let them out one day and they pooped all over my room.  :crazy:

I trained chicks to peck a button when the light came on to get food for a college psych class.  It was at that time that I learned fresh hatched chicks are adorable...two week old chickens not so much.  But it and I survived and I probably got an A...I did really well in my psych classes, by then I knew better than to take anything before 10 in the morning...PE and those classes my first year I took at 8 AM...not so good.

I had to drop out of Karate once we got to the point where we would have had to hit someone.  I could never even hit someone in my dreams until a few years ago.  Or actually use a gun (if I ever picked up a gun to defend myself in some crime or superhero dream, the gun would morph into me pointing my fingers like kids do and going bang, bang).  I was quite proud of myself when I had my first dream where I actually punched someone out a few years ago. I figure it must have marked some sort of emotional milestone but I never did figure out what made it so I could finally cross the line into me being actually physically violent.

Still haven't hit anyone on purpose in real life (except with a foil in fencing, but maybe I could do that because they were masked and I couldn't see their faces...or it was just too much like make-believe).  I don't even like socking pillows...what harm did a pillow ever cause me (well, now that I think about it, that horrible pain in my neck I was telling Tacenda about in her thread back in college days could have been caused by an nasty little old pillow that just wanted to make someone suffer as a gesture to the world it was shortly to be leaving).

I did babysit a poor little goat whose mother sat on it while it was born.  Probably deprived it of oxygen since there was something more going on then just movement.  Kept it in a big rubbermaid container next to my bed at night with towels underneath it and a rather unsuccessful attempt to adapt a large human kid's diaper to keep it clean.  During the day would keep on my lap and stroke his silky hair. Very pretty and cute but a not so bright face for a goat,  perfect size for the lap really....and not too loud and he let me sleep at night and not wake me up too early to feed it with his baaing...He eventually lost interest in food and just kept getting weaker and weaker to the point he couldn't stand up at all (he never could walk).  Didn't want him to suffer stravation or dehydration, but boy I do not like that part of animal treatment.  I don't think I would make a good farmer at all even though I used to go over and help with the goats and chickens when they needed constant feedings the first few weeks.  Don't mind being used as a table by a sweet little kid that just discovered he loves to climb, that is kind of fun when they are trying to play king of the hill with me as the hill and they are just past wobbling stage (just remember to protect the eyes and soft parts because those hoofs can be sharp at times) but getting teen size where if they work together to knock me down....at that point, I move to feed them from outside the fence.  I don't want on my obituary "she died in a stampede of kids" no matter if it is speaking of goats or human...I am very fond of playing with both, but stampedes are painful and not a good way to go.

Speaking of dreams and pets...all my dreams about pets are of them dying...probably because of being 3 and having my pet bird die in my hand (had caught its neck in the bars of the cage and got out, so we thought it was okay, but lasted long enough to come out and sit on my hand and then keel over dramatically).  Always treated my pets well, but haven't had a lot of happy long lives with them due to moves as a child or adopting them from family members who couldn't handle them anymore so had transition problems of adapting to a new family but in my dreams I am always losing them and finding them on the point of disappearing into nothingness because they are starving. I think I have abandonment issues.  My first pet was a poodle and we grew up together until I was about 8, we were inseparable from all reports.  My parents gave him away because we were having to move into an apt that didnt' allow pets while our new house was being built and we didn't have any friends who were able to keep the wee thing for us for the half of year it was going to take.  So my parents took off with him and didn't tell us until they got home he wasn't coming back.  (Dad didn't like emotional scenes).  And since then I have yet to find a pet that I felt was loving me rather than using me, though our beagle (the only one we've raised from babyhood ourselves) comes close when she comes up to grab my leg when my daughter and I give each other a hug...she seems to want to give me a hug as well...and we all go "ah, how cute" because it is each time it happens..right up to the moment she starts moving up and down and the focus shifts from hug to hump.  Her age it is likely dominance or excitement (at least I hope she is not sexually attracted to me...too complicated of a relationship there for me seeing how my daughter is her mother and then there is my husband)...I think it is excitment because life is so mellow for her and a hug is seen by her as a major social event.  She is by nature a social butterfly (for a beagle) and will do anything to get invited to a party, including climbing up into the window and bark andbark and bark and bark long after the dog outside has walked way out of sight.  A new beagle just her size has moved into a house behind us and they have invited her over to play...they looked to be fated to be good chums. I think this summer I am going to work hard at getting her some decent play times as she has been neglected badly this winter due to the extended family complications we've been juggling and a stupid flu that hit over Christmas and we are still struggling to get back from so she is way down on her quota of walks and playing with the grandkids and absolutely no neighbourhood kids have come over to play with her this spring yet (they are all moving into teen years and a beagle no matter how cute isn't holding their interest anymore).  If the new drug works for me, taking long walks on the beach...well...asphalt with her will be at the top of list (both of us need major exercise, it has been years since the last couple of hours long walk after dark we took together...I put her on a 6 foot lease and tie it around my waist and walk down the middle of the street.  She doesn't get constantly distracted by every rock or leaf as she would at the side of the road and the pull reminds me to keep to a certain pace...not too fast,not too slow...maybe we can even getback up into the mountains once I get back some muscle mass...but we will do those in the afternoon, I feel it would be unwise to attempt a dirt road at night...or places where a snake has been known to cross the path on occasion.

Speaking of night, it just hit midnight so I think I will finish off this Neuro Sleep drink my husband brought home for me to try.  My first reaction was 'nice thought, easier to absorb in a liquid form'...second thought was "what the heck are they thinking? 14 ozs of liquid right before bedtime?  Is this a new definition of blissful sleep...running to the toilet every few hours?"

Edited by calmoriah

I did really well in my psych classes, by then I knew better than to take anything before 10 in the morning...PE and those classes my first year I took at 8 AM...not so good.

This was my whole college existence (well, after my mission). I didn't have a scholarship, so I had to earn the money to pay for everything each semester. I got a job at the Sears call center in East Bay (Provo), met my future wife there, decided to get a second job at night (I figured I was always tired, anyway, so why not earn money while being tired?), and convinced my future wife to come work with me doing graveyard janitorial at the Richards Building (P.E. building at BYU). We worked two jobs for a while and decided to quit Sears and just be night janitors. After we were married, we were promoted to shift leads, which meant coming in even earlier to get things ready for the shift. It was 3:30 to 7:30 in the morning during school, and 11:00 PM to 7:30 AM during spring/summer term.

The things was that, not having a scholarship, I wanted to graduate as soon as possible (and get more bang for my buck), so I took 20+ credit hours every semester and graduated in three years. This meant that I had classes from 7:30 AM into the afternoon, right after work. Burning my candle at both ends worked until I started student teaching (last semester before graduation), and I had to quit my job and just do that (it was a full-time unpaid job teaching school, preparing, grading, etc.). My wife quit her janitorial job as well and got a job as a secretary in an accounting firm.

My kids are very frugal and practical as well, but my advice to them is to a) not be in such a hurry to finish school, b) take classes you want to take along with those you have to take, even if it means that it takes longer to finish, and c) work through school. This was a great experience for us, with lots of good memories and missionary experiences (non-members worked with us, including some Germans, Danes, etc. --- my mission was in north Germany). Since I'm a teacher and my wife is a homemaker, they'll have to put themselves through school (although they will probably have scholarships, much more so than I did).

My university experience comprised my frosh year at BYU (1959-60)... when I went home for summer break I intended to work for the summer and then return to the "Y" for my sophomore year.  But at my summer job for an electric utility in So Cal, I met my non-LDS husband to be... and that was the end of my co-ed days...

But back to BYU... in the dorm, my dearest friend was a girl from PA, who invited me to go home with her for Christmas break... my folks said okay, so we put a notice up on the bulletin board for a ride east.  Met with this fellow who answered... several other students were also riding with him... five of us in all.  It was exciting.  I'd never been anywhere except CA or UT... so the night before we left, Tess and I decided to make some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to take with us.  We had the bread, peanut butter/jelly spread out making the  sandwiches when into our room came Jinks, a girl from Vernal, Utah.  She took a look at our sands and said... What are you doing?!! 

Us: Making PB&J sandwiches...

Jinks: Like that?...  

Us: Sure...

Jinks: With raw peanut butter?

Us: Raw pb?  What do you mean, raw pb... how do you eat your pb?

Jinks: Cooked on our eggs...

Us: Cooked on your eggs??  :huh:

Jinks: Yeah...

Us: Well, pb and jelly sandwiches are as American as apple pie and cheese...

Jinks: Apple pie and cheeesee???

Sigh...

GG

Holy cow calmoriah, you have to post something else!   When I see you upstairs all I will be able to think is about that poor emotionally damaged sister .. dying birds, disappearing dogs, ugly two week old chicks …

Edited by CCRW

Did you get a chance to know your grandfather?  And what in the world brings a nice young lady here?