Seriously No Politics ×

Highlights Of The Church Statistical Report For 2014

Number of Stakes & Districts bounced back.  2013 was our low in terms of stake/district growth rate at 0.70%.  2014 came up to 1.49% growth.  Average number of members per stake/district increased slightly (from 4,165 to 4,183).

Number of Wards & Branches also increased but by a slightly slower rate than stakes/districts.  After hovering around 0.8% or lower for the past five years, the growth rate in wards/branches came up to 1.26% for 2014.  Average number of members per ward increased only slightly from 516 to 519.

The "surge" of missionaries is definitely over (shouldn't be a surprise to anyone) but as some have pointed out here, we are not seeing a decrease in missionaries.  Increase in missionaries for 2014 was 2.54% (compared to over 40% in 2013 at the height of the surge).  Converts per missionary companionship held steady at 7.0 (compared to 6.8 for 2013) but is still low compared to the rate for the decade before the surge (average was 10 converts per companionship for pre-surge).  Of course, the number of converts per MEMBER did NOT drop significantly with the surge.  Which supports what we've always been told:  missionary success depends on the members.

They reported church service missionaries... we broke the 30,000 mark.  Woo hoo!

Finally... the BIG number... total church membership increased by 290,309 to 15,372,337.  We dropped to 1.92% for 2014.  This was expected and is in line with the declining trend we've seen over the past several decades.

One interesting development in the membership count:  the number of new children of record was less than the number of deaths + removals (resignations/excommunications).  Meaning that without new convert baptisms, we'd be shrinking.

Edited by rockpond

2013 saw a 1.5% increase in stakes, This year was a 2.1% increase. Membership growth certainly is at it's lowest. We had an all time high attrition of 124,902. Last year was 97,876 and the year before was 53,476. I calculate this by taking this year's numbers and subtracting convert baptisms and child of record baptisms and then subtracting this from last years numbers. We do no  know, of course, how many of these are deaths and how many are name removals. 

That proves it - members are leaving in droves, just scads of individuals running for the doors.  It is right there in the numbers.  Millions are running from their membership in the Church of Jesus Christ.  The critics are proved correct again and Elder Cook is a liar. 

Please desist with the facts when the mindless repetition of new "facts" so clearly support a desired agenda.  It is the agenda that is all important to our benevolent, good-hearted, charitable critics. Please turn out the lights it is time for bed.

Number of Stakes & Districts bounced back.  2013 was our low in terms of stake/district growth rate at 0.70%.  2014 came up to 1.49% growth.  Average number of members per stake/district increased slightly (from 4,165 to 4,183).

Number of Wards & Branches also increased but by a slightly slower rate than stakes/districts.  After hovering around 0.8% or lower for the past five years, the growth rate in wards/branches came up to 1.26% for 2014.  Average number of members per ward increased only slightly from 516 to 519.

The "surge" of missionaries is definitely over (shouldn't be a surprise to anyone) but as some have pointed out here, we are not seeing a decrease in missionaries.  Increase in missionaries for 2014 was 2.54% (compared to over 40% in 2013 at the height of the surge).  Converts per missionary companionship held steady at 7.0 (compared to 6.8 for 2013) but is still low compared to the rate for the decade before the surge (average was 10 converts per companionship for pre-surge).  Of course, the number of converts per MEMBER did NOT drop significantly with the surge.  Which supports what we've always been told:  missionary success depends on the members.

They reported church service missionaries... we broke the 30,000 mark.  Woo hoo!

Finally... the BIG number... total church membership increased by 290,309 to 15,372,337.  We dropped to 1.92% for 2014.  This was expected and is in line with the declining trend we've seen over the past several decades.

One interesting development in the membership count:  the number of new children of record was less than the number of deaths + removals (resignations/excommunications).  Meaning that without new convert baptisms, we'd be shrinking.

Interesting analysis. Thanks for this.

The Church membership is, to some degree, influenced by secular trends. The decrease in new children of record may be commensurate with a global decrease in birth rates.

There are four children in our family, which doesn't seem to me to be an inordinately large number. But sometimes, when I look at our ward membership list, I am struck by the fact that we are among the larger families in the ward. Most of the couples in the ward are in an earlier stage of their childbearing and child rearing period than we, but not by much on average.

2013 saw a 1.5% increase in stakes, This year was a 2.1% increase. Membership growth certainly is at it's lowest. We had an all time high attrition of 124,902. Last year was 97,876 and the year before was 53,476. I calculate this by taking this year's numbers and subtracting convert baptisms and child of record baptisms and then subtracting this from last years numbers. We do no  know, of course, how many of these are deaths and how many are name removals. 

I am sure some of that increase is members leaving but in the US we have an aging population.  So that will also account for some of the increase as well.

The Church membership is, to some degree, influenced by secular trends. The decrease in new children of record may be commensurate with a global decrease in birth rates.

There are four children in our family, which doesn't seem to me to be an inordinately large number. But sometimes, when I look at our ward membership list, I am struck by the fact that we are among the larger families in the ward. Most of the couples in the ward are in an earlier stage of their childbearing and child rearing period than we, but not by much on average.

We just have two kids.  We are done.  When the economy took a big hit in 2008, the birth rate went down nationally  I don't think it has recovered yet.  It probably took a hit in the Church as well.

I really don't understand this focus on growth.  The Church was just as true with just a few members in 1830 or 15 million today.  It is a fuliflling of prophecy, but at the same time a weeding out will take place reducing our numbers, probably by a significant amount.

I agree with those who feel a better focus could be on member retention.

We will get down to a faithful core.  We will not convert the world and many will leave.  Numbers will go up and down and up and down.  The gospel will conquer be it with 15,000,000, 15,000, or 1500.  Staying faithful and helping others to stay faithful should be a priority over number growth.

I really don't understand this focus on growth.  The Church was just as true with just a few members in 1830 or 15 million today.  It is a fuliflling of prophecy, but at the same time a weeding out will take place reducing our numbers, probably by a significant amount.

We will get down to a faithful core.  We will not convert the world and many will leave.  Numbers will go up and down and up and down.  The gospel will conquer be it with 15,000,000, 15,000, or 1500.  Staying faithful and helping others to stay faithful should be a priority over number growth.

And the end of the day, the only number that matters is one.  That "one" being you or me.  Are we living our lives correctly and and doing as the Lord asks?  It does not matter of the Church has 500 million members.  If we don't enter the Celestial Kingdom,  it does us personally no good if 499 million did.

Well you have to admit that many members when the Church growth rate has been high speak loudly about it being evidence of being the stone rolling down the mountianand filling the earth.  When it is slow well now the world is more wicked and the Church will always be small comparatively.  can't have it both ways.

Well you have to admit that many members when the Church growth rate has been high speak loudly about it being evidence of being the stone rolling down the mountianand filling the earth.  When it is slow well now the world is more wicked and the Church will always be small comparatively.  can't have it both ways.

Actually I can and do. :)

can't have it both ways.

Actually, I think we can on this one.  Growth to become the stone cut without hands.  Member apostasy to create the hearts core (as Orson F. Whitney put it).

The Church will peak, and then in preparation for the return of the Savior it will be whittled down.  Both have been prophecied.  Maybe we have reached the tipping point.

We just have two kids.  We are done.  When the economy took a big hit in 2008, the birth rate went down nationally  I don't think it has recovered yet.  It probably took a hit in the Church as well.

Actually, the percentage increase in COR is inline with the average since 2000.  Average increase is 0.78%.  Increase for 2014 was 0.76%.  We've held fairly steady on that number.

Whereas if we look at the trend of deaths/removals we see an increasing trend.  The average since 2000 was 0.49%.  Deaths/Removals for 2014 as a percentage of total membership was 0.81%.  That's a substantial increase.  Though it could be from a purge of old records rather than excommunications/resignations.

Here are some other interesting statistics:

There are 106,752 members for every temple. In 2002 this number was as low as 102,821 with the numerous smaller temples being built. Temple construction has not kept up with membership growth, but of course, the church does not publish the number of endowed members. 

There were 3.49 converts per full time missionary which is down from an average of 5.3 in the past.

There are 4945 members per stake. This number as progressively increased each year. Likewise, the number of members per ward has gone up to 519. This is perhaps indicative of lower number of active members. 

There were 132 members of the church for every child of record baptism. In 1985 there were 85 members per child of record. 

Children of record stats represent newborns born to LDS families, not newly baptized children, yes?

I was wondering the same thing. They didn't say.

It would be great to see some greater detail to the stats. We can figure how many have left the church, either by death or resignation, but this is vague at best. The church certainly has the exact number of resignations from the year. It could help prove Elder Cook's case that resignations "today" are lower than in the "past".

Also, how does the church figure the deaths? For the 5 million active members this would be easy to figure because it would be updated on MLS. For the other 10 million members who are inactive, and therefore are less likely to have accurate death dates recorded on church records, it is my understanding that the member is removed from the church records when they reach 110 years of age. Again, if this method is correct, it would be a very inaccurate way of figuring membership numbers.

ETA- Why would the church add births to the membership records instead of child of record baptisms when the child officially becomes a member of the church?

Edited by HappyJackWagon

I was wondering the same thing. They didn't say.

It would be great to see some greater detail to the stats. We can figure how many have left the church, either by death or resignation, but this is vague at best. The church certainly has the exact number of resignations from the year. It could help prove Elder Cook's case that resignations "today" are lower than in the "past".

Also, how does the church figure the deaths? For the 5 million active members this would be easy to figure because it would be updated on MLS. For the other 10 million members who are inactive, and therefore are less likely to have accurate death dates recorded on church records, it is my understanding that the member is removed from the church records when they reach 110 years of age. Again, if this method is correct, it would be a very inaccurate way of figuring membership numbers.

ETA- Why would the church add births to the membership records instead of child of record baptisms when the child officially becomes a member of the church?

A child of record is an unbaptized newborn put on the records or a minor child of a convert.

The Church struggles to get a clear count on deaths for those who are not active (and thus don't have their records updated when they pass away).

Here are the last ten years' of death/removal rates (starting with 2004, ending with 2014).  Global average death rate is around 0.8% (and of course this number also includes resignations/excommunications).

0.42% 0.47% 0.37% 0.57% 0.62% 0.63% 0.65% 0.37% 0.67% 0.81%

Edited by rockpond