Sign in to follow this  
JAHS

Online Tithe Paying Coming Soon.

The slip used to ask for the home address. It was always a pain, because the line was never long enough to write the address out legibly.

Why was the address dropped and replaced by the MRN?

And I always fill out my full and complete name -- first, middle and last -- because that's what the slip asks for, even though I rarely use my first name (Scott is my middle name). Am I being too careful in doing that?

I agree with JAHS' answer.  I'll just add one reason that they may have put the MRN field on the slip... if you are sending a donation to a ward that is not your own, the MRN is the critical piece of info we need as we process the donation.  For example:  Suppose you have decided to help pay for the mission of your niece.  The MRN gives any random clerk the ability to tie your donation back to you personally even though your records reside elsewhere.  

So long as the clerk and Bishopric member processing the money know who the donation is from they just look it up in a dropdown list, click on the name which fills it in the space for the name. Your name is already linked to your address and membership number already in the system. Most important is your name (first and last are enough unless there is someone else with your same name in the ward), the amounts you want to donate in each category; the total; if its cash, check or coin; and fill out your check properly. If you are donating to a different ward (eg missionary support), they will need your address the first time so a year end donation report can be sent to you.

I agree with JAHS' answer.  I'll just add one reason that they may have put the MRN field on the slip... if you are sending a donation to a ward that is not your own, the MRN is the critical piece of info we need as we process the donation.  For example:  Suppose you have decided to help pay for the mission of your niece.  The MRN gives any random clerk the ability to tie your donation back to you personally even though your records reside elsewhere.

Got it.

The only other Scott Lloyd in my ward is my son, and we have different first names.

Several years ago, the ward was prone to error in crediting my tithing donations to him, though he was only a toddler at the time. I guess that's an example of a clerk (or bishopric member) not being attentive enough when that dropdown menu appeared.

Thanks for the information about out-of-ward donations. This may be important information to us when our son leaves on his mission shortly, as there may be relatives or friends who desire to contribute to his mission.

Edited by Scott Lloyd

Got it.

The only other Scott Lloyd in my ward is my son, and we have different first names.

Several years ago, the ward was prone to error in crediting my tithing donations to him, though he was only a toddler at the time. I guess that's an example of a clerk (or bishopric member) not being attentive enough when that dropdown menu appeared.

Thanks for the information about out-of-ward donations. This may be important information to us when our son leaves on his mission shortly, as there may be relatives or friends who desire to contribute to his mission.

For as long as your son is in your ward, it would be wise to continue using your full (first + middle) name on your slip.  We had a clerk not long ago that thought is was funny to put donations under the children's record when they shared the same name as their parent.  But then it was on him to make the correction in MLS when settlement time came around each year so I never understood why he got a chuckle out of it.

Got it.

If those relatives or friends are going to donate regularly they will need donation slips and they (and you) should note your son's name on the slip near Ward Missionary so it will be cedited to his personal account.

For as long as your son is in your ward, it would be wise to continue using your full (first + middle) name on your slip.  We had a clerk not long ago that thought is was funny to put donations under the children's record when they shared the same name as their parent.  But then it was on him to make the correction in MLS when settlement time came around each year so I never understood why he got a chuckle out of it.

Wow. That certainly sounds like malfeasance to me. I don't think that sort of thing would be tolerated in a professional environment.

Of course, what can you do in church? Fire him? Release him perhaps, but that may be the very thing he wants.

If those relatives or friends are going to donate regularly they will need donation slips and they (and you) should note your son's name on the slip near Ward Missionary so it will be cedited to his personal account.

Good advice.

I suppose I could get a bunch of tithing slips, partially fill them out in advance and hand them out. But that seems a bit gauche.

Wow. That certainly sounds like malfeasance to me. I don't think that sort of thing would be tolerated in a professional environment.

Of course, what can you do in church? Fire him? Release him perhaps, but that may be the very thing he wants.

I wouldn't call it malfeasance as he always corrected it at the end of the year. Just something he found humorous but he was actually a very dedicated financial clerk who ran a tight ship (rarely had any audit findings).

You have a point.  While making online tithing payments might be more convinient, it may seem to denigrate the act of giving offerings to nothng more than just paying another one of our many bills. Physically handing over the offering might make one feel and appreciate the sacrifice a little more. 

The more jaded among us claim that our only reason for doing that is so that we can "do our alms [and other offerings] before men, to be seen of them."  My response to that is, "What stops anyone from giving the member of the bishopric an empty envelope, simply for appearance's sake?" (Of course, if we actually did that, that would drive the bishopric and clerks crazy: they'd be calling us all the time asking us if we forgot to put our contribution into the envelope; maybe those who wish to take that approach should put a dollar in, just to make it look good ... ;))

I think the current practice of handing an envelope to a member of the bishopric is archaic. It takes two people an hour every sunday to count out the tithing. If no bishopric member is available, the bishop has to stay even longer after church after his interviews are all finished up. I have never paid directly to salt lake but I have friends that do. Of course, their income is much larger than mine and some of them pay because the bank does not accept such large cheques. Many business owners pay once a year once they have completed their year-end and they pay through means other than cash which can only be traded through salt lake. 

The more jaded among us claim that our only reason for doing that is so that we can "do our alms [and other offerings] before men, to be seen of them."  My response to that is, "What stops anyone from giving the member of the bishopric an empty envelope, simply for appearance's sake?" (Of course, if we actually did that, that would drive the bishopric and clerks crazy: they'd be calling us all the time asking us if we forgot to put our contribution into the envelope; maybe those who wish to take that approach should put a dollar in, just to make it look good ... ;))

I have seen some who like to walk up to the bishop while he is sitting on the stand just before sac meeting starts and hand him the envelope for the whole ward to see. But for the most part I don't think most members make a show of it. If anything, handing over an envelope just lets the Bishop know that they are actually donating something.

I think the current practice of handing an envelope to a member of the bishopric is archaic. It takes two people an hour every sunday to count out the tithing. If no bishopric member is available, the bishop has to stay even longer after church after his interviews are all finished up. ...

Maybe, but I find that personally,  it seems as though I don't quite have the same interest vested in, e.g., an automatic payment that's debited from an account or in a payment submitted electronically, in which no physical transaction occurs, as I do in things that I write a check out for and/or send/hand it to someone.  For that reason, perhaps I will continue to use "the old fashioned way," even if another method becomes readily available. :)

The slip used to ask for the home address. It was always a pain, because the line was never long enough to write the address out legibly.

Why was the address dropped and replaced by the MRN?

And I always fill out my full and complete name -- first, middle and last -- because that's what the slip asks for, even though I rarely use my first name (Scott is my middle name). Am I being too careful in doing that?

It's not "Your Scott Lloyd," it's not "My Scott Lloyd," It's "Our/R. Scott Lloyd." :friends:;)

P.S.: The Membership Number enables contributions to be credited to the member who makes them, wherever they are made (if, e.g., you're contributing to the missionary fund for a relative who's in a different ward). :)

Edited by Kenngo1969

Maybe, but I find that personally,  it seems as though I don't quite have the same interest vested in, e.g., an automatic payment that's debited from an account or in a payment submitted electronically, in which no physical transaction occurs, as I do in things that I write a check out for and/or send/hand it to someone.  For that reason, perhaps I will continue to use "the old fashioned way," even if another method becomes readily available. :)

Ultimately we'll always have to keep the traditional method.  As much as I dislike the inefficiency of it, I do get the importance for some of the physical transaction... when someone hands me an envelope I try to make a special point of pausing whatever I am doing, shaking their hand, and thanking them.  And it's obviously gonna be important for young kids who are unlikely to pay electronically (for now).

At the same time, I hope that we'll make electronic means widely available for those who prefer that method.

Got it.

Coincidentally, I was going through unfiled papers tonight and happened to look at my son's year-end tithing statement from last year. There were two occasions when our ward credited my tithing payments to him. I thought I had left this sort of experience behind.

I don't suppose anything can be done about it now.  I filed my tax return weeks ago, so even if I could get it corrected, it's too late to take those two payments as a tax deduction. Maybe it wouldn't have made any difference. But you can bet I'll be watching our ward's accounting with an eagle eye from now on where my donations are concerned.

Can one request mid-year tithing statements, or do I have to wait until tithing settlement?

Is this sort of thing fairly common? Does anybody else here have that happen to them, where junior gets credit for a parent's tithing?

Edited by Scott Lloyd

Coincidentally, I was going through unfiled papers tonight and happened to look at my son's year-end tithing statement from last year. There were two occasions when our ward credited my tithing payments to him. I thought I had left this sort of experience behind.

I don't suppose anything can be done about it now.  I filed my tax return weeks ago, so even if I could get it corrected, it's too late to take those two payments as a tax deduction. Maybe it wouldn't have made any difference. But you can bet I'll be watching our ward's accounting with an eagle eye from now on where my donations are concerned.

Can one request mid-year tithing statements, or do I have to wait until tithing settlement?

Is this sort of thing fairly common? Does anybody else here have that happen to them, where junior gets credit for a parent's tithing?

File a 1040X.

I pay tithing using the first method that mormonlifehacker posted years ago. I get a statement every month, via email. I suspect that your ward Clerk should not have any trouble printing out a monthly a statement for you.

Edited by tonie

Interesting you should say that. I have, within the past week, set up my online bill-paying service with my credit union to make tithing payments every two weeks timed to coincide with my receiving my paycheck. I have been congratulating myself, reveling in the security that, due to this elegant new method I have adopted, never again will I forget to make a tithing payment. It's like my salvation is sure with minimal effort on my part. (Well, not quite like that.)

Now, you come along and suggest that I won't get the same psychological or spiritual or whatever benefit from it. What a killjoy you are, Kenngo 1969. :sad:

File a 1040X.

At this point, I think it's hardly worth the bother.

I pay tithing using the first method that mormonlifehacker posted years ago. I get a statement every month, via email. I suspect that your ward Clerk should not have any trouble printing out a monthly a statement for you.

I don't think I would need one quite that often, but maybe I'll look into it.

I am a finance clerk and know of a few who also use online bill payment service. The only problem is that the check is mailed to the Bishop and the clerk has to fil out a tithing slip for the donor. And sometimes there is confusion as to how much they want to put in each category.

You should tell these people to call the Church finance department and arrange for them to pay via their billpay service.  I use my credit union's billpay, and the account number is my membership number.  It gets sent in directly to the church, and the ward gets credit for it.  Only thing they can't accept through the online system is local fast offerings.

I know some like the amount they pay to be private, is this offered. 

Yes!  When I set up my online donation with Church finance dept, they asked if I wanted my ward to know how much I donated.  I said Yes, but No is perfectly legit.

I like handing my envelope to a member of the Bishopric. I trust them and my ward clerk since I'm an Assistant Ward Clerk and work with him.

I'm a finance clerk, and I trust me, too!  :D

I pay my own donations via online means, though.  It is more convenient for me to do so.

I have seen some who like to walk up to the bishop while he is sitting on the stand just before sac meeting starts and hand him the envelope for the whole ward to see. But for the most part I don't think most members make a show of it. If anything, handing over an envelope just lets the Bishop know that they are actually donating something.

Don't assume that this always happens for everyone to see. Often I don't see the bishopric before the meeting or after the meeting. When I had young children and teaching callings it was almost impossible. I had to race off to classes. I can't tell you how many times I got home with the tithing still in my purse. And when my husband was traveling a lot it was even worse. Sometimes right before it started was the only time I would remember it. I hated being seen, but couldn't think of other options.

I'd bet some are oblivious to being seen etc. Most are probably not doing it to be seen.

Edited by Rain

Don't assume that this always happens for everyone to see. Often I don't see the bishopric before the meeting or after the meeting. When I had young children and teaching callings it was almost impossible. I had to race off to classes. I can't tell you how many times I got home with the tithing still in my purse. And when my husband was traveling a lot it was even worse. Sometimes right before it started was the only time I would remember it. I hated being seen, but couldn't think of other options.

I'd bet some are oblivious to being seen etc. Most are probably not doing it to be seen

Agreed  :good: