Sign in to follow this  
JAHS

Online Tithe Paying Coming Soon.

For several years now there has been a way for members to pay offerings online, although it was meant to be limited for certain situations. Apparently there are wards that are now participating in a beta version of an online tithe paying service which everyone will be able to use if they want, just by going to the LDS.org website.

http://mormonlifehacker.com/pay-your-tithing-online-with-lds-org-coming-soon

Anyone else hear of this or know anyone participating? Anyone inclined to use such a service when it goes live?

Edited by JAHS

For several years now there has been a way for members to pay offerings online, although it was meant to be limited for certain situations. Apparently there are wards that are now participating in a beta version of an online tithe paying service which everyone will be able to use if they want.

http://mormonlifehacker.com/pay-your-tithing-online-with-lds-org-coming-soon

Anyone else hear of this or know anyone participating? Anyone inclined to use such a service when it goes live?

I was paying my tithing directly to Church headquarters years ago.

It wasn't well-publicized that one could do such a thing; I heard about it through word-of-mouth. But once I did, all I had to do, as I recall, is make a phone call and set up the accounting.

I quit doing it that way, I think, because it became more convenient to do it through on-line bill pay with by credit union.

So what you're talking about doesn't seem so very new to me.

Edited to add:

I found this link, for what it's worth. Seems very informed and informative.

Edited by Scott Lloyd

Anyone inclined to use such a service when it goes live?

Sometimes I wish tithing stayed local like fast offerings.  Paying everything online might decrease local funds.  I prefer to help those in the ward first.

I am a finance clerk and know of a few who also use online bill payment service. The only problem is that the check is mailed to the Bishop and the clerk has to fil out a tithing slip for the donor. And sometimes there is confusion as to how much they want to put in each category.

Sometimes I wish tithing stayed local like fast offerings.  Paying everything online might decrease local funds.  I prefer to help those in the ward first.

Ward budgets are determined by attendance, not by how much tithing is paid.

I am sure the Fast Offerings would still be credited to the home ward.

I am sure the Fast Offerings would still be credited to the home ward.

That's true. If fast offering is paid to Church headquarters, it goes into the general fast offering fund. If it is paid to the local bishop, the ward can access the money for local needs.

That's one reason why I quit making the payment directly to Church headquarters.

Then, our stake president asked us to pay the fast offering to the deacons who come collecting. So now, I pay my tithing with online bill pay (twice a month) and I make a monthly check for the fast offering.

I don't like writing checks, but I'm doing what I was asked to do. That was years ago, and the stake president has since been replaced twice. Maybe it's not an issue any longer.

Edited by Scott Lloyd

I am a finance clerk and know of a few who also use online bill payment service. The only problem is that the check is mailed to the Bishop and the clerk has to fil out a tithing slip for the donor. And sometimes there is confusion as to how much they want to put in each category.

True. If one does it this way, one should put a memo on the payment designating how much of the payment goes to each category. And I try to include my membership number, because the white tithing slip currently asks for that.

Why does the clerk have to fill out the slip for the donor? Why can't it just be electronically accounted?

True. If one does it this way, one should put a memo on the payment designating how much of the payment goes to each category. And I try to include my membership number, because the white tithing slip currently asks for that.

Why does the clerk have to fill out the slip for the donor? Why can't it just be electronically accounted?

It's a second paper record that came straight from the member, which can be shown to the member if there is any confusion or questions about the donation. Part of the finance audit is to look at some donations and confirm that what was entered in the computer is what the member requested on the tithing slip.  Even if it was specified on the check, the check goes to the bank so there is no record of it from the member at the local level.

Edited by JAHS

I use online bill pay for my tithing, but then hand write a check and donation slip for my fast and other offerings once a month on Fast Sunday.  It's pretty much the only thing I still use my check book for.

I was paying my tithing directly to Church headquarters years ago.

It wasn't well-publicized that one could do such a thing; I heard about it through word-of-mouth. But once I did, all I had to do, as I recall, is make a phone call and set up the accounting.

I quit doing it that way, I think, because it became more convenient to do it through on-line bill pay with by credit union.

So what you're talking about doesn't seem so very new to me.

Edited to add:

I found this link, for what it's worth. Seems very informed and informative.

Your link lists three methods for doing it now. This new method is a fourth way that I think is meant to replace all three.

I know some like the amount they pay to be private, is this offered. 

I know some like the amount they pay to be private, is this offered. 

I respect your need and desire for privacy.  However, someone has to know, for accounting purposes.  Taken to an extreme, the desire for privacy would put the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in a "no-win" situation: on the one hand, those who express such a desire don't want anyone to know how much they pay; on the other hand, many people say that the Church of Jesus Christ doesn't do enough adequately to account for such funds.

But not to worry; I'm sure you wouldn't want to put the Church of Jesus Christ in a bind like that! ;)

Now, if my ward could just get a debit/credit card machine in the hall next to the bishop's office.

I respect your need and desire for privacy. However, someone has to know, for accounting purposes. Taken to an extreme, the desire for privacy would put the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in a "no-win" situation: on the one hand, those who express such a desire don't want anyone to know how much they pay; on the other hand, many people say that the Church of Jesus Christ doesn't do enough adequately to account for such funds.

But not to worry; I'm sure you wouldn't want to put the Church of Jesus Christ in a bind like that! ;)

It's not me who's asking, I just remember reading on the NOM board of others saying some people wanted it private, maybe those that make a lot of money or those that don't. Or those that want to pay on increase not gross, I don't know, just curious how this would be handled. Would the bishop need to know the exact amount you paid. Because at one time only church headquarters knew, if that's how you wanted it. All the bishop knew is that you paid something. Has this changed because too many wanted to pay directly/privately?

It's not me who's asking, I just remember reading on the NOM board of others saying some people wanted it private, maybe those that make a lot of money or those that don't. Or those that want to pay on increase not gross, I don't know, just curious how this would be handled. Would the bishop need to know the exact amount you paid. Because at one time only church headquarters knew, if that's how you wanted it. All the bishop knew is that you paid something. Has this changed because too many wanted to pay directly/privately?

Good questions.  I've never been close enough to the financial side of things to know (and even then, I would only know how things work on the ward, or perhaps the stake :blink:, level).  Perhaps someone else knows more. :)

I have been the financial clerk for our ward for many years. I do have probably more of an idea than I should about the income levels of various members of our ward. I have no interest in knowing so much. There are people who receive part of their "increase" in stock or other financial instruments that they donate directly to the church. This is handled directly with Salt Lake. I do believe as mentioned above there are other situations and reasons for people to donate directly to Salt Lake. So I think if can be handled on-line directly with Salt Lake.. Great!

The Bishop never asks whether at Tithing Settlement or for a temple recommend How much you pay overall for tithing. He only asks (In the case of Tithing settlement whether the ward records are correct) and whether you are a full tithe payer or not. For Tax purposes, the Church provides everyone with an account of of donations paid, so even if the ward has no record of Donations made directly to Salt Lake, I'm sure that they are carefully accounted for.

Also, in regards to Church policy regarding whether you pay your tithing on Gross, Net, or what's left over in petty cash at the end of the month, I have a personal experience. I just retired. I just started receiving Social Security. I never ran a business. I worked for wages all my life, and paid tithing on the Gross amount of those wages. Included in those gross wages was Social Security Taxes I paid. I have no desire to slice tithing into some narrow legal definition, but I wondered whether I needed to pay tithing on Social Security since I had already paid tithing on my "Investment" in Social Security (again as a financial clerk, I know how other people handle this in our ward). My situation is in no way unusual.

I asked the bishop for guidance as to how the Church recommends me handling this. He said that he cannot give any advice at all. It is only between me and the Lord. I pleaded with him for any information as to any Church policy regarding this and he again repeated that the church has no policy and that I need to take it up with the Lord.

So I don't understand why there is often so much discussion about how much to pay on LDS oriented message boards (I am also a member of the LDSFF and on that board there are frequent discussion where people passionately defend sometimes bizarre definitions of increase) The fact of the matter is that the Church does not ask you what your definition of Increase is. It is between you and God.

I guess a lot of the ranting I read about this topic is because some may hope their conscience will not bother them so bad if they can convince others to join them.

Regards,

George Clay

I have been paying my tithing online since mormonlifehacker posted the original post about it. You can use waybackmachine, to get the appropriate documents to set up online bill pay tithing.

As I recall, you setup an account with a specific number provided by the Church - this number designates tithing or other donations.  Being able to go into my bank account online, selecting "Bill pay" and pay my tithing works great for me.

I asked the bishop for guidance as to how the Church recommends me handling this. He said that he cannot give any advice at all. It is only between me and the Lord. I pleaded with him for any information as to any Church policy regarding this and he again repeated that the church has no policy and that I need to take it up with the Lord.

Yes indeed - the standard bishop answer.  Maybe some day we'll start listening.  A full tithing is that which you, as a disciple of Christ, in full possession of not only agency, but a conscience, not to mention the light of Christ, figure you are a full tithe payer.  If such burdens stagger us, it may be wise to spend some time in front of the mirror asking ourselves who we are. 

I like handing my envelope to a member of the Bishopric. I trust them and my ward clerk since I'm an Assistant Ward Clerk and work with him.

I like handing my envelope to a member of the Bishopric. I trust them and my ward clerk since I'm an Assistant Ward Clerk and work with him.

You have a point.  While making online tithing payments might be more convinient, it may seem to denigrate the act of giving offerings to nothng more than just paying another one of our many bills. Physically handing over the offering might make one feel and appreciate the sacrifice a little more. 

And I try to include my membership number, because the white tithing slip currently asks for that.

Your MRN is not needed on the tithing slip (or memo of the check) if you are paying to your home ward... unless there are multiple Scott Lloyd's in your ward.

Your MRN is not needed on the tithing slip (or memo of the check) if you are paying to your home ward... unless there are multiple Scott Lloyd's in your ward.

The slip used to ask for the home address. It was always a pain, because the line was never long enough to write the address out legibly.

Why was the address dropped and replaced by the MRN?

And I always fill out my full and complete name -- first, middle and last -- because that's what the slip asks for, even though I rarely use my first name (Scott is my middle name). Am I being too careful in doing that?

The slip used to ask for the home address. It was always a pain, because the line was never long enough to write the address out legibly.

Why was the address dropped and replaced by the MRN?

And I always fill out my full and complete name -- first, middle and last -- because that's what the slip asks for, even though I rarely use my first name (Scott is my middle name). Am I being too careful in doing that?

So long as the clerk and Bishopric member processing the money know who the donation is from they just look it up in a dropdown list, click on the name which fills it in the space for the name. Your name is already linked to your address and membership number already in the system. Most important is your name (first and last are enough unless there is someone else with your same name in the ward), the amounts you want to donate in each category; the total; if its cash, check or coin; and fill out your check properly. If you are donating to a different ward (eg missionary support), they will need your address the first time so a year end donation report can be sent to you.