Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JAHS

When A Missionary Dies

Another mssionary (Brittany Nicole Scadlock) died in the mission field yesterday.

Every year a few missionaries die for various reasons. I wonder what happens to them when they reach the spirit world.

Are they treated like martyrs because they literally gave up their mortal lives for the church? Or since God is no respector of persons are they treated like any other latter-day Saint that dies who valiantly served in other ways for the church?

Does God send special blessings to their family for their sacrifice? I hope so.

Another mssionary (Brittany Nicole Scadlock) died in the mission field yesterday.

Every year a few missionaries die for various reasons. I wonder what happens to them when they reach the spirit world.
Are they treated like martyrs because they literally gave up their mortal lives for the church? Or since God is no respector of persons are they treated like any other latter-day Saint that dies who valiantly served in other ways for the church?

I doubt they are treated better than missionaries who do not die in the service. All missionaries are giving their lives to the work. Consider that the LDS hymnal revises the Battle Hymn of the Republic as follows: "As He died to make men holy, let us die live to make men free."

That said, I'm sure that God blesses families of all those who serve and so for those youth who do not come back from the service, there are some unique blessings as a result of that special sacrifice.

I am sure they are treated as "good and faithful servants" like any other saint.

Dying on a mission doesn't seem to be a special case, unless there is something special about the way they die.

If they were killed/martyred then I am sure they get a martyrs crown.

I doubt they are treated better than missionaries who do not die in the service. All missionaries are giving their lives to the work. Consider that the LDS hymnal revises the Battle Hymn of the Republic as follows: "As He died to make men holy, let us die live to make men free."

That said, I'm sure that God blesses families of all those who serve and so for those youth who do not come back from the service, there are some unique blessings as a result of that special sacrifice.

Just to put the original wording of the Battle Hymn of the Republic into its historical perspective, it was a very frank WAR hymn.  And the part about dying to make men free pertained to actual death in actual battle in order to do away with slavery in the Civil War.

Changing the wording to "live to make men free" puts into the modern perspective, and there's nothing wrong (and a lot right) with that.  I just wanted to get that little detail out.

They lived up to the law of sacrifice. They were at the perfect point for God to take them home.