Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nofear

Alcohol's Evaporating Health Benefits

http://www.bmj.com/content/350/bmj.h407

As always, be vary wary of nutrition and health "news" (including the one cited here). 1) News articles are notoriously poor at accurately reporting the results of scientific studies and 2) the nutrition and health field is perhaps the most riddled of the scientific fields with poor and fraudulent studies. That said, this debunking study seems to have some merit to it.

I saw this article last night and it made me laugh.  Hopefully no one started drinking because they wanted the health benefits.  :D

I still contend a splash of cheap red wine does wonders for spaghetti sauce.  Although I always ask my Mormon and Baptist friends if they would prefer I omit it from my cooking. 

I still contend a splash of cheap red wine does wonders for spaghetti sauce.  Although I always ask my Mormon and Baptist friends if they would prefer I omit it from my cooking.

Melting cheese into it tastes much better and has more calories.....oh wait....that is not good right?

Melting cheese into it tastes much better and has more calories.....oh wait....that is not good right?

Good and Healthy are two separate and independent concepts.

I go by the reports that any benefit from red wine can also be obtained from red grape juice... 

of course, one would have to ascertain what type of grape juice and how much.  The point was that one did not have to drink red wine alcohol to obtain the benefit.  

GG

Grape juice does add flavoring you may not want in a dish like the tomato sauce for pasta. The alcohol in wine on the other hand adds no flavor and releases alcohol soluble flavors, and compounds already there. The alcohol itself does little for us health wise, you can live a long and healthy life without it. But it does make enjoying everything from vanilla to yeast bread to pasta sauce a nice part of life.

It's the science which seems to change by the minute regarding wine and coffee. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually coffee and wine are accepted as not good for you, but I think you have to be careful trying to prove the pros and cons about the word of wisdom. My wife and I decided that we keep the word of wisdom to show our faith and obedience to God.